advertisement

What are you listening to right now #3?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally posted by Stuart Mason
Ohhh...Grace Jones. Not heard her in a while.
Well worth searching out IMHO. Her work has stood the test of time suprisingly well...

John Zorn, Redbird. Sort of echt Morton Feldman, single chords (harp, viola, cello, percussion) given time and space to decay, prettier chords than most of Feldman's though. Opening track is for bass drums alone, resonances rather than bangs, and sounds like distant thunder. I even managed to make my windows shake, first time that's ever happened.

-- Ian

Was: still working through Ayler's Holy Ghost. Today, returning to CD 1 and the track with Cecil Taylor

Is: Wilco: Ghost is Born bonus ep, available as a download if you have the original CD. I still think this is one of the best records of the past 2-3 years.

Before - Mingus: Changes One

Now - Radiohead: OK Computer

Next - Miles Davis: E.S.P.

Before that - Deep Purple: Nobody's Perfect

Before that again - Chic: C'est Chic

....there's too much out there....either that or it's a mid life crisis....

congrats in order Mr Blakeaudio!?? The Chic LP is only because my kids love it (aged 3 & 5)..because it is on Shrek 2....then again, I love it too....

The Killers - "Hot Fuss"

A cd my elder daughter brought to my attention. Trendy, perhaps, and quite possibly mass-market garbage, but we rather like it. Think Franz Ferdinand awash in buckets of 80's MTV influences. Or maybe Coldplay battles Duran(x2) and The(x2), with Morrissey as referee.

Eh, I don't know. It sounds better than it sounds (meant in the positive sense).

Yesterday evening's nostalgia-fest:

Led Zeppelin II. I haven't listened to this for years. It's an old afvourite (I'm on my 3rd vinyl copy). Better and worse than I remembered; ie the good bits are very good, but the drippy stuff ('Thank You') is just plain embarrassing.

Paris 1919 John Cale. Wonderful, brilliant, especially Lowell George's slide guitar bits, but sadly my 1973 vinyl copy is more or less knackered so I might bow to the inevitable and pick up a CD copy.

Various (Peter Green period) Fleetwood Mac tracks. 'The Green Manalishi' is one of the scariest records ever made, with Green's howls towards the end prefiguring his long period of mental health problems.

Then as it was a nice evening I went out for a walk.

Was: The Fall again - CD 5 - Sixteen being the highlight.

Was a bit later: James Carr - You Got My MInd Messed Up. A vinyl reissue that sounds amazing. Listen to the key change at the end of Dark End Of The Street - if it don't get to ya - nothin' ain't ever gonna get to ya!

Rich

Was: Beethoven 2 & 5 (Harnancourt, Chamber Orch of Europe)
Is: Mingus, Blues & Roots (cheers Ian, this one's great)
Will be: time for bed soon.

S.

Man Made : Teenage Fanclub - Still loving this. As always the Fanies wear their influences on their sleeves but the John McIntyre production gives a neat twist.

"Born Under a Good Sign" (track 11) is the best guitarbassdrums song I've heard for an age. Imagine, if you will, Neil Young having played the guitar solo on 8 Miles High! A thing of wonder and beauty.

No other TFC fans around here? I think you can be forgiven for giving up on them a while ago but this is lovely.

Kevin

Originally posted by kjb
No other TFC fans around here? I think you can be forgiven for giving up on them a while ago but this is lovely.

I was a fan of the earlier stuff, up to and including Grand Prix.

Originally posted by Joe Hutch
I was a fan of the earlier stuff, up to and including Grand Prix.

I've been buying their stuff since Everything Flows - which is still one of my 5 fave songs ever. I think the new record is possibly the best thing they've done since Bandwagonesque.

Kevin

Originally posted by kjb

Kevin

Yes, me, but I prefer the earlier stuff.

ACE and Bandwagonesque get played a lot more than the more recent albums though.

Man Made is ok, but hasn't really grabbed me yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back