advertisement

Way to go Greta

Whew ... for a second there I thought I'd wind up another shot messenger at the feet of the exalted! I think she'll eventually drop the reality-fatalistic bomb most expect, simply because if you believe the UN's last call to climate (10 years carbon budget time left), we've burned up one already since then, and with BoJo now in charge over there and Trump possibly in for a 2nd term ... well, that doesn't leave much time to de carbonize the entire world.

On another front, some believe she serves a useful purpose for TPTB by focusing on the political process, and thereby oddly legitimizing it, rather than the sources of the flows of capital pumping even more money into fossil fuels. It's almost as if the more airtime Greta and XR receive, the more money is invested and the worse the atmosphere.

A point on print, paper and trees.
Just about all of the trees used in paper production come from outdooor factories.
They plant them, cut them down, plant more, make paper.
If the process didn't work like that they would run out of trees for paper

Paper is one of the easiest items to recycle - even if I have different views on how it should be done

That sort of goes to the point of what I posted, not any anti-Greta thing. Actually, people thinking my post was anti-Greta goes to the same point. And that is simply that the people who would benefit from some great right-wing or oil industry conspiracy to discredit climate heroes don't need any such thing when all that is required is a world-wide network to turn people against each other over just about any narrative.

"According to the Composite Water Management Index report released by the NITI Aayog recently, many major cities including Delhi, Bengaluru, Chennai, Hyderabad may have no groundwater by 2020, affecting nearly a 100 million people."

https://www.newindianexpress.com/li.../water-scarcity-the-real-problem-2072016.html

Water_Scarcity.jpg

Exactly. Why people don't think water shortages won't happen in the 1st world is one of the strongest varieties of Hopium ever.

Australia is one to watch, but India has it all happening right now. Beyond the water crisis, which could certainly trigger war, there are the rising temps with prolonged heatwaves of 120F, sea level rise already causing migrations from coastal areas; a hindu nationalist/protofascist government purging academics and selectively cutting internet access; the situation with Kashmir, and normalization of fascist hate speak from cultural elites

The vermin signaling collapse may be a few houses down, but we know how quickly vermin procreates and spreads.

Are you dreaming of a green Christmas? Households and individuals across the UK are turning their backs on the vulgarity of Christmas consumerism and waste by cutting back on obvious and most visible areas of excess such as unwanted gifts, plastic trees and decorations and unrecyclable wrapping paper.

But the scale of our extravagance remains shocking. The Bank of England has calculated that the average UK household will splurge £800 extra in December on food and drink as well as gifts. Included in this is an average of 17 gifts bought per individual, according to online retailer Amazon.

And according to a recent study by waste management company Biffa, the UK creates 30% more waste than usual over Christmas. This includes an estimated 227,000 miles of wrapping paper and 1bn cards that end up in the bin. An estimated 20% of gifts – some 120m items – will be headed for landfill on Boxing Day, according to the UK Gift Card & Voucher Association.

https://www.theguardian.com/news/20...reen-christmas-heres-how-to-make-it-come-true

Helps green ness being a cheap skate
I buy nothing extra for Christmas. Happy doing what i normally do. Working on the boss and she is spending far less
Helps being on my own Christmas Eve- Boxing Day. Great excuse having 7 dogs that need looking after.
Will have to listen to music as loud as possible all the time - someone has to
:)

"Stop What You're Doing and Watch This": Intense Praise for Apocalypse-Themed Climate 2020 Campaign Ad
"It's a catastrophe of our own creation—but it doesn't have to end this way," says Andrew Romanoff, a Democratic hopeful for U.S. Senate running in Colorado.

(thread resurrected from page 5 lol)

Boomer-Doomers are it again: Discovery/Research on the effects of Global Dimming

"The fact that our planet is getting warmer even though aerosols are cooling it down at higher rates than previously thought brings us to a Catch-22 situation: Global efforts to improve air quality by developing cleaner fuels and burning less coal could end up harming our planet by reducing the number of aerosols in the atmosphere, and by doing so, diminishing aerosols' cooling ability to offset global warming."

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2019/01/190122104611.htm

Tinfoil hat take: could help explain why the 1st world (and oil companies) are going the opposite direction in reducing emissions beyond a profit motive.

Crazy thing is business can make big money going green
Doesn't even need a marketing genius
Lazy minds are the problem

Australia is one to watch, but India has it all happening right now. Beyond the water crisis, which could certainly trigger war, there are the rising temps with prolonged heatwaves of 120F, sea level rise already causing migrations from coastal areas; a hindu nationalist/protofascist government purging academics and selectively cutting internet access; the situation with Kashmir, and normalization of fascist hate speak from cultural elites

The vermin signaling collapse may be a few houses down, but we know how quickly vermin procreates and spreads.

And yet the population of India is forecast to grow by nearly 400 million before plateauing in 40 years time at 1.75 billion ! Only country outside Africa with significant growth forecast.
They should be doing something about that, not trying to start a civil war. Oh hang on...

Crazy thing is business can make big money going green
Doesn't even need a marketing genius
Lazy minds are the problem

Margaret Thatcher was on this back in '89. The conservative / capitalist world should have seized the issue and run with it.

Thinking about it, was she the last PM who might have had any trace of relevant education?

Can we reinstate the free transistor radio for a vasectomy that India was so vilified for?

Margaret Thatcher was on this back in '89. The conservative / capitalist world should have seized the issue and run with it.

Thinking about it, was she the last PM who might have had any trace of relevant education?

Can we reinstate the free transistor radio for a vasectomy that India was so vilified for?

Did they only have 1 radio ?
And yes it is not funny. Nothing about the continuing world population growth is funny. And yet we still have stupid news commentators wringing their hands about Japan and China stopping their population growth: it should be celebrated. Every country needs to rethink 'growth', retirement, healthcare and pension policies.

advertisement

Back