advertisement

Way to go Greta

And what's remotely negative about describing someone as "rather attractive"?

Not that, the play on her name. I briefly used an avatar here of her face merged within a Che poster as a joke thing ... didn't go over well is understating it.

My 18 year old son who has a about as much interest in politics as vuk does for an electric shaver is a huge fan of Greta and what she has done/is doing. He heard me watching the above footage and came over to tell me how how awesome she was and how she has a very strong influence amongst his friends.

Sexist trivialisation. Do you still wolf whistle?
No it's not. I'd say the same of men. I have described men as "attractive" or "good looking". I'm not sexually attracted to men, but I can still recognise them as attractive. It's a fact, an observation. Ms AOC is indeed attractive, and has been described as such by a number of intelligent commentators. And no, I don't wolf whistle. I don't think that I have since my teens.

Sexist trivialisation would be saying that she was a tasty piece, or that I'd like to shag her. I've said neither.

No it's not. I'd say the same of men. I have described men as "attractive" or "good looking". I'm not sexually attracted to men, but I can still recognise them as attractive. It's a fact, an observation. Ms AOC is indeed attractive, and has been described as such by a number of intelligent commentators. And no, I don't wolf whistle. I don't think that I have since my teens.

Sexist trivialisation would be saying that she was a tasty piece, or that I'd like to shag her. I've said neither.
"Ding dong" in a Leslie Phillips voice usually does the trick.

cutting42,

My 18 year old son who has a about as much interest in politics as vuk does for an electric shaver is a huge fan of Greta and what she has done/is doing. He heard me watching the above footage and came over to tell me how how awesome she was and how she has a very strong influence amongst his friends.

Yup. I think a lot of people don't realize just how good Greta has been at focusing attention on the issue of climate change, especially among the young. Obviously, the debate and policies should be driven by science and for that we have thousands of scientists worldwide toiling away in the field and in lab, collecting data and analyzing it as well as generating computer models, the results of which are presented in academic journals and at conferences.

Actually, on second thought, I think some people *do* realize just how good Greta has been at focusing attention on this issue, which is why they try to shut her up or marginalize her by calling her a little bitch.

Joe

Honestly, watching Greta and all the young people following her and protesting strikes me as horribly tragic with how I view our circumstances after just a few years research. It's really hard to watch sometimes.

Yup. I think a lot of people don't realize just how good Greta has been at focusing attention on the issue of climate change, especially among the young.

She’s been an amazing perception changer for Asperger’s too. No idea how anyone couldn’t be a fan of what she has achieved all round to be honest. A Nobel Peace Prize candidate, surely? (I’m working on the assumption that there is an ongoing war with our planet, obvs)

Honestly, watching Greta and all the young people following her and protesting strikes me as horribly tragic with how I view our circumstances after just a few years research. It's really hard to watch sometimes.

so, according to you, the young people and society is in a worse position now than they would have been without her activism/existence?

Sorry, how do you mean??

so, according to you, the young people and society is in a worse position now than they would have been without her activism/existence?

That's not at all what I meant. I think the future is grim, especially for young people. And I admire their courage of conviction in getting behind Greta Thunberg, but that doesn't change how sad I find it that they're expecting solutions from the generations handing this colossal mess off to them.

remind me has she, actually changed anything, apart from getting a few teenagers chattering about climate change?

advertisement

Back