advertisement

War declared, Israel v Palestine...

Much and all as the court's decision is a symbolic victory, I'm sceptical that the ruling will make one iota of difference really alas.

No doubt the Likud crew will reference the court's comments about the need for immediate release of the Israeli hostages, and cite failure to do that as justifiable grounds for ignoring the ruling:

Judge Salam also spoke about the situation of Israeli hostages who are still being held by Hamas in Gaza.
"The court expresses grave concern over the fate of the hostages... and calls for their immediate and unconditional release," he tells the court.
"We find it deeply troubling that many still remain in captivity," he adds.

Much and all as the court's decision is a symbolic victory, I'm sceptical that the ruling will make one iota of difference really alas.

No doubt the Likud crew will reference the court's comments about the need for immediate release of the Israeli hostages, and cite failure to do that as justifiable grounds for ignoring the ruling:

Judge Salam also spoke about the situation of Israeli hostages who are still being held by Hamas in Gaza.
"The court expresses grave concern over the fate of the hostages... and calls for their immediate and unconditional release," he tells the court.
"We find it deeply troubling that many still remain in captivity," he adds.
Hamas could call their bluff and release the remaining 'hostages' but I doubt that would have any effect either. It might not be a bad tactic, who knows. The longer Israel fights the more they will kill - negotiation really is the best option (as we saw previously) if your goal is actually to free the hostages. All such efforts to date have been scuppered by Netanyahu and his cabinet. The stumbling block is a permanent ceasefire. Why should that that be a problem if you have your people back, unless...

Today's decision by the International Court of Justice (#ICJ) ordering #Israel to halt its offensive on #Rafah in southern Gaza and to reopen the Rafah crossing is another confirmation of how catastrophic the situation is and of the desperate need for humanitarian aid to be scaled up immediately.

We have been calling for an immediate and sustained #ceasefire in Gaza since the beginning of this war and have been alerting on the disastrous consequences of this offensive on Rafah since it was announced for the first time in February.

The situation in #Gaza has never been so dire: essential humanitarian and medical aid has barely entered since the beginning of May leaving hundreds of thousands of people without food, water, shelter and medicine and hospitals without fuel. According to the #UN, 900,000 people have yet again been displaced in these past three weeks alone, as Israel’s offensive in Rafah has intensified and heavy fighting is taking place in the north of the enclave.

We continue to call for an immediate and sustained ceasefire for all of Gaza, as it is the only way to stop the indiscriminate killing of civilians and allow for the substantial provision and delivery of aid on a meaningful scale, which is needed now more than ever throughout the Strip.

MSF International

I've been reading the reports on the Hague Court's statement. It calls on Israel to halt its offensive in Gaza, which of course is a good idea. But it also calls for the "immediate and unconditional release" of Israeli hostages held by Hamas.
Oddly, this part of their statement has been ignored on this thread.
I may be wrong, of course, but I think the release of the hostages would almost automatically cause Israel to call off its Rafah offensive.

I've been reading the reports on the Hague Court's statement. It calls on Israel to halt its offensive in Gaza, which of course is a good idea. But it also calls for the "immediate and unconditional release" of Israeli hostages held by Hamas.
I may be wrong, of course, but I think the release of the hostages would almost automatically cause Israel to call off its Rafah offensive.
Perhaps read posts 9264 and 5?

Remind us<how many Palestinian children are held hostage by Israel?

Nonsense. Netanyahu can’t divert now. If all the hostages were released now, he’d have to find another reason to continue his massacres.

Netanyahu has been clear that his objective is the elimination of Hamas.
Yes, just as Hamas, in harmony with its backer Iran, has made it clear that its objective is the elimination of Israel. But they will have to come to terms under international pressure, and a first step would be a return of the hostage by Hamas, and a ceasefire by Israel (and by Hamas). Talks can then proceed, guided by international support by both the West and the Arab countries that want a peaceful settlement rather than continued carnage.

Yes, just as Hamas, in harmony with its backer Iran, has made it clear that its objective is the elimination of Israel. But they will have to come to terms under international pressure, and a first step would be a return of the hostage by Hamas, and a ceasefire by Israel (and by Hamas). Talks can then proceed, guided by international support by both the West and the Arab countries that want a peaceful settlement rather than continued carnage.
I agree with your first points, but how is a peaceful settlement even possible without a Palestinian State and a return of seized Palestinian land in the West Bank, neither of which Israel will ever agree to under current support they receive from the US, UK and other allies. This will only change if these enabling countries exert massive economic and political pressure which of course will never happen.

The ICC ruling does affect the UK cabinet, as continuing to supply weapons gets them more exposed to charges. This might be one reason why the GE has been suddenly called

Last time that happened, the IDF shot the hostages. An absolute tragedy, but a sign of the chaotic situation that's there. As I said, the only winners are the leaders of Hamas, safe in their Qatari hotel suites...

Not chaotic. IDF thought they were shooting Palestinians with a white flag. Disgusting.
Hamas leaders are in Qatar because Israel murders any in Gaza or West Bank. Butcher Bibi has form on signing peace deals and then murdering Palestinian leaders.
zionists are the terrorists, the original terrorists.

Last edited:
It is not widely appreciated that one of the judges, called upon by ICC prosecutor Karim Khan to advise on the evidence of possible war crimes, is a Jewish Holocaust survivor.
Judge Theodor Meron, born in 1930, spent much of his youth in ghettoes and workcamps.
Emigrating to Palestine he became a legal adviser of the Israeli Ministry of Foreign Affairs till he emigrated in 1977 to the US.
It has recently emerged that in 1967 and 1968 he secretly advised the Israeli government that the construction of Israeli settlements in the occupied territories was illegal, and that the demolition of Arab houses would be considered a form of unlawful collective punishment. He was of course ignored.
In an extraordinary career he reached the highest levels of his profession receiving many awards and honours, his work helping to build the legal foundations for International Criminal Tribunals.
Judge Meron concurred with the rest of the advisers whose unanimous findings are the basis for ICC prosecutor Karim Khan’s request for arrest warrants against Hamas and Israeli leaders.
RK/JVL

Read the original here.

advertisement

Back