advertisement

Verve Acoustic Sounds Series Reissues

I personally don’t see the need for 200g pressings, often gives more problems than 180 or less and no real advantage IMHO?

There are some I would like, but it will depend on the price. The first 250 of each is going to subscribers, plus the present back orders. So I wonder what the pressing runs will be? If they are only going to press about 1,000 of each least to start with, while they judge demand and with the production pressures on their own QRP plant, then there may not be much chance of seeing them get wide UK distribution like the AS Verve’s and that will possibly affect the UK price? Does anyone know Acoustic Sounds present UK shipping charge?

I see Diverse Vinyl still has back order ones on some of these listed at around £35 which would be reasonable ($40 = about £28) and comparable to the UK AS Verve’s and Tone Poet’s, but they may not have changed on their site for sometime and a Acoustic Sounds increased their prices recently. I expect that will go up quite a bit if they are one of a very few places importing.

I personally don’t see the need for 200g pressings, often gives more problems than 180 or less and no real advantage IMHO? ...

I have a rather vague memory of seeing an old video and I think QRP found that 200g was the optimal mass for their best pressing machines. It might have referred to some of the old mono pressings being 200g too.

There was another video around Christmas time between RTI, Chad and Stoughton discussing increased capacity for their 2022 projects...

Wait, has this series been and gone a few years back? https://www.discogs.com/label/955099-The-Prestige-Stereo-Series

I'm confused!
Well I assumed that it was right at first, but wasn’t too sure about that either when I looked again at Mike’s link as I did not see any reference to current release dates. I think most if not all were released last in 2017 or before so that maybe an old page?

The copyright date at the bottom of the page says 2022, but I expect that is not directly part of that page and is updated over the whole site.

I think it is just an old page now. I just checked the SH forum AP 200g mono thread going back a few weeks and there is no reference to getting these back in stock or new reissues. I did various advanced searches on Acoustic Sounds under Jazz, Prestige - preorder - None. In stock - 5 to special order. (On) Back order 45.

There was some talk of some Prestige titles getting reissued, but I think in house under Concord / Craft with no more details. Possibly AP licences for these have been fulfilled or expired.

Well I assumed that it was right at first, but wasn’t too sure about that either when I looked again at Mike’s link as I did not see any reference to current release dates. I think most if not all were released last in 2017 or before so that maybe an old page?

The copyright date at the bottom of the page says 2022, but I expect that is not directly part of that page and is updated over the whole site.
This is really confusing but I think that those were old titles that were released a few years back and yet this page shows Prestige SACD's on pre-order (but not vinyl):
https://store.acousticsounds.com/index.cfm?get=results&saleid=448&Status=PreOrder
or is that just some very lax database cleaning?

Got the Coltrane Crescent today. Compared with my very nice laminated gatefold ORG 2x45rpm copy, the cover art is lower resolution and there are some very noticeable colour changes. No idea which is closer to original colours though. The vinyl is very flat which makes a change from a lot of new pressings.

I’ve played it through once and it sounded decent enough. I just wasn’t in a critical listening mood so will need to have a proper listen later on. I certainly prefer the 33 format to the musical chairs 45 version, for one thing.

At least they didn't flip it and make him left handed...

472VEdo.png

Well this does at least explain the confusion and why that have not changed or updated the earlier web pages. They have just been dropping these back into stock when they have been able to produce more pressings to fill the jackets they still have. All a bit random and based on you putting an order in for something you want that may or may not come into stock. Although he has indicated some that will be back in stock soon and the intention to repress more when than can get jackets.

I doubt though that there is any intention at least at this stage to sell other than from the Acoustic Sounds site and why would they if they can easily sell out all they are pressing at the moment. That certainly makes them too expensive to for me by the time you add on shipping and import duties in the UK. The Bill Evans box looks wonderful, but $900 plus shipping plus duty. Unlikely to be less than at least £1,300 total imported to the UK unless you are luckily enough at customs?

So I think I will be able to show restraint easily enough with these.

The Bill Evans box looks wonderful, but $900 plus shipping plus duty. Unlikely to be less than at least £1,300 total imported to the UK unless you are luckily enough at customs?
I'm going to see if there's any chance of ordering this through the UK distributor - unlikely I guess but worth checking.

I love the way Chad Kassem's videos sound like a cross between a market hawker and Donald Trump.

"Buy now or cry later" was brilliant!

He's clearly a good guy who does a great job and has a passion for the music but I do have to do a little work to get beyond the presentation

I love the way Chad Kassem's videos sound like a cross between a market hawker and Donald Trump.

"Buy now or cry later" was brilliant!

He's clearly a good guy who does a great job but I have to do a little work to get beyond the presentation

"Busy like a cat on a tiled floor trying to bury a sheeeit."

Caved on Crescent :rolleyes:. Pretty hard to distinguish between this and my old Japanese VIM: sax is probably just that tiny bit harder throughout on the AS, I think there's generally more bass to the VIM, but at any given point the bass of one or the other might be more or less clean, drum texture more or less pronounced.

The cover image is identical to the VIM in terms of resolution - just the grain and blur of the photo itself, it's not introducing any digital artefacts. But hue is completely different. Like Nagraboy, no idea which is closer to the original, although I always think of Crescent as being blue.

51870141699_9f06413d94.jpg

advertisement

Back