advertisement

Verve Acoustic Sounds Series Reissues

I'd add Focus to your list.

Yes, I’ve got it, another nice early full-silver WG CD. Kind of big-band/orchestral and almost a film-music aesthetic. An outlier for Getz for sure. Something very early should be added to the Getz list too, e.g. West Coast Jazz, or even earlier.

The Stan Getz everyone overlooks is Captain Marvel from 1975, a fusion album with Chic Corea, Stanley Clark and Tony Williams. Really good, and stands no chance of being reissued (’70s fusion is being ignored by all these programs aside from Billy Cobham’s Spectrum deservedly got the treatment recently).
I have the Pure Pleasure reissue of “Captain Marvel”, https://www.discogs.com/release/3553400-Stan-Getz-Captain-Marvel . Looks like Diverse have it in stock at the moment.

Entirely coincidentally, I’m currently listening to a cheap CD of “Stan Getz and The Oscar Peterson Trio”.

Don’t get me wrong, there are some good albums in there, I just wish they’d have stuck at least one more challenging title in the mix as they have in every other series. I’d like to see sales figures, but I can’t imagine the likes of Black Saint, Karma, Haynes, Alice etc wouldn’t have sold. The overall market might be smaller, but they are far, far rarer records and I’d expect that to balance out in sales as more folk who would want thdm son’t already have them. In this batch I either own myself or have sold originals of most of them. I’ve never even seen an original of say Karma or the Alice Coltrane!
I have OG presses of Karma, Thembi, Jewels of Thought, and Black Unity if you are ever in London and interested in having a look/listen.

advertisement

Back