advertisement

Verve Acoustic Sounds Series Reissues

No way would I trade a US RVG stamp for an AS. I suspect I’m going to sit on my hands with this one as I have the Org 2x45 (which I don’t like because it obviously splits the sides) and as others have said there isn’t much wrong with the CD. I’d love an RVG or good Japanese cut though as it is one of my favourite Coltrane albums.

To be honest the Blues & The Abstract Truth has somewhat dampened my enthusiasm for this AS series. There is nothing ‘wrong’ with it, it is a lovely record, but I much prefer the dynamics and visceral attack of my green-label Japanese copy. I like the ALS though, but my Japanese copy of that is sadly worn (the original owner clearly loved the last track!). That is an album I would love to stumble across a US original at a good price.

PS I recently grabbed a beautiful Japanese white-label promo of Interstellar Space and that thing is bloody amazing. One of my favourite Coltrane albums done! They are in the room with me. Got a very nice Japanese copy of Om too.

PS I recently grabbed a beautiful Japanese white-label promo of Interstellar Space and that thing is bloody amazing.

Fabulous album and recording. Bought an original US copy in Probe when it was released circa 1974 - it would be around my 15th birthday. There was no going back after that - Next Stop Jupiter......if you know what I mean.

I've also got the CD which more than holds its own against a Qobuz HR stream .. but it's one of my favourite Coltranes and I would love a decent vinyl copy.

I'm heading out in an hour to see the new Almodovar movie and am yet to decide whether to loop past Truck records who have been getting stock of this series. I've a feeling I might find it hard to resist.
I have the 1996 Impulse CD as well. It is very decent, at least played on it’s own. I can’t remember comparing it to my original though.

If you do get an AS copy today you will probably be the first to give us your opinion on it? ;)

I've got the AS reissue here - will play it after the Dub album I'm currently listening to. The sleeve does seem a bit low-res but not as blue as the Jasmine sleeve!

Played through Crescent once now. Really quiet, flat pressing. I can’t compare the sound to the original but this reissue does sound very dynamic and forward. I’m not a fan of the 60’s stereo mix though - Coltrane hard left channel, drums, bass & piano hard right channel - in my system there’s no real soundstage.

Last edited:
I got an email to collect my Crescent too, but not able to collect yet. I’ve got the ORG 2x45rpm like Tony. I’m just hoping it compares favourably to that one so I can think about selling the ORG.

I failed to resist and picked it up - and the classic Out to Lunch at the same time. Managed to smuggle them into the house : ))

The Almoldovar film was so good, though, that I might just sit quietly and let it resonate tonight and play the records over the weekend.

Do we have a movie thread here? In off topic? I think we should.

I got an email to collect my Crescent too, but not able to collect yet. I’ve got the ORG 2x45rpm like Tony. I’m just hoping it compares favourably to that one so I can think about selling the ORG.

Excellent, you can beta test this one for me!

I’ve actually just dug the Org out now and side 1 is playing. It sounds superb, really good, a wonderful presence to Coltrane and slam to the drums, so I think I’ll hold where I am! I don’t like 2x45 as a format (hence buying no Music Matters), but there is no denying they can sound great.

I'm having a first listen to Crescent this evening alongside the CD. It's certainly way more open and dynamic than the CD - the drums sit in a more clearly defined space, as does the bass on Lonnie's Lament and there's more of a sense of the connection between the music and an instrument rather than just music. The detail on Elvin Jones' snare is a real step up. On first listen its not quite got the level ofattack as ALS - maybe more akin to the presentation in Ballads but that might be down to the recording.

I did wonder, though, if it sounds better because I've better vinyl playback. My kits not super expensive - Gyro, Dynaudio MC cart, Dynaudio phono stage compared to a Rega Saturn through a bottom of the range Audio Note DAC - but the turntable is higher spec than the CD player. I guess many of us here have that kit where that is the case.

I'd be interested to do a cd v vinyl comparison on a next step up CD player, say, an Isis or one of the CEC transports through a better dac.

I failed to resist and picked it up - and the classic Out to Lunch at the same time. Managed to smuggle them into the house : )

The Almoldovar film was so good, though, that I might just sit quietly and let it resonate tonight and play the records over the weekend.

Do we have a movie thread here? In off topic? I think we should.
Thanks for your later comments on Crescent.
I’m glad you liked Almoldovar’s - Parallel Mothers. You were quick off the mark. I think it only opened yesterday? You must be a real fan. I have not seen all his films, but liked really ’Volvar’ (also with Penélope Cruz) and ‘Women on the verge of a nervous breakdown’. I will probably go to see it next week.
Sorry for continuing off topic. Perhaps there should a Movie thread?

I'd be interested to do a cd v vinyl comparison on a next step up CD player, say, an Isis or one of the CEC transports through a better dac.

I used to run a Naim CDS3/XPS2 and it was embarrassed by my Rega Planar 25, P75. It's a difficult comparison to make but most of the time a good pressing like these is just better.

Played through Crescent once now. Really quiet, flat pressing. I can’t compare the sound to the original but this reissue does sound very dynamic and forward. I’m not a fan of the 60’s stereo mix though - Coltrane hard left channel, drums, bass & piano hard right channel - in my system there’s no real soundstage.
Re-evaluating the AS through my (stupidly expensive) headphone setup. I think I misjudged it yesterday - it sounds awesome. This has put my (not very expensive) speakers in their place!

I used to run a Naim CDS3/XPS2 and it was embarrassed by my Rega Planar 25, P75. It's a difficult comparison to make but most of the time a good pressing like these is just better.

The improvement from the Crescent CD to Vinyl was less significant that the improvement from the French Pathe Blue Note to the Classic so it might be all about the pressing. I'm playing the Dolphy over and over this morning- it's like hearing it for the first time.

Its made me thing again about the Ornette Box: My Golden Circle ( Vol 1) is also a French Pathe edition. It's a little frustrating that they've not issues the Golden Circle records as a freestanding pair tbh.

Thanks for your later comments on Crescent.
I’m glad you liked Almoldovar’s - Parallel Mothers. You were quick off the mark. I think it only opened yesterday? You must be a real fan. I have not seen all his films, but liked really ’Volvar’ (also with Penélope Cruz) and ‘Women on the verge of a nervous breakdown’. I will probably go to see it next week.
Sorry for continuing off topic. Perhaps there should a Movie thread?

One of my semi retirement treats is going to see a movie by myself on Friday afternoons - often catching things on the day of release. Souvenir Part 2 is booked in for next week.

If you like Almoldovar, Pain and Glory from a couple of years back is up there with his very best.

Anyway, back to the music....

One of the things I'm liking with these re-mastering / re-pressings ( TPs, Classics, Acoustic Sounds) is the way is is taking me back to re-explore and re-evaluate records I've known for 30-40 years and pick up a few that I'd overlooked. I'm increasingly finding that revisiting remastered old jazz is giving me richer pleasures than most of the newer recordings I'm hearing, good as they are.

I’ve just heard that Analogue Productions are reissuing 25 Prestige Jazz label albums soon. The same ones they released in maybe 2013-2014.

It’s hard to find out much about this release. Not sure if they’re mono or stereo and I can’t find any preorder info except on elusivedisc.com

Does anyone know more about it? Any links?

I’ve just heard that Analogue Productions are reissuing 25 Prestige Jazz label albums soon. The same ones they released in maybe 2013-2014.

It’s hard to find out much about this release. Not sure if they’re mono or stereo and I can’t find any preorder info except on elusivedisc.com

Does anyone know more about it? Any links?
https://store.acousticsounds.com/s/337/Prestige_Stereo_LP_Reissues
25 Titles, Mono & Stereo, Cut at 331/3 rpm :). Titles look very familiar.

advertisement

Back