advertisement

UK Election 2015 (part III)

I see part of his challenge relates in part to postal votes.

I saw somewhere that upwards of 20% of of all votes cast in this election were postal. Why? They should be stopped for all except the registered disabled who can't walk.

In a democracy it should be made easier to vote, not more difficult. Postal votes are entirely legitimate and increase the turnout, so why on earth would anyone want to restrict them? :confused:

Try visiting some of the plug ugly small towns dotted around the edges of the old industrial belt. Often single estates and little more, built to serve a single industry that vanished almost over a generation ago now.

This is well worth a watch, the scary thing is, ten minutes before a friend emailed me the link to this and said "I think you'll find this fascinating"; I had actually been in conversation with a friend where I had said the following. "We are heading backwards into the 18th century and remember what happened then?"

I think you missed my Smiley. ;)

Mull

Last edited by a moderator:
In a democracy it should be made easier to vote, not more difficult. Postal votes are entirely legitimate and increase the turnout, so why on earth would anyone want to restrict them? :confused:

They are more likely to result in fraud is the main argument against mass postal voting. I have vague memories of (a handful) of dead Tories voting in 1992.

Moving our elections to Saturday is a better plan for increasing turnout though. Having them on a working day is nuts.

I saw somewhere that upwards of 20% of of all votes cast in this election were postal. Why? They should be stopped for all except the registered disabled who can't walk.

He lost by 28% so the fact that the postal votes were a bit high still doesn't correct the loss. He did win the by-election by a landslide but if you look at the votes, the voters returned a Labour candidate in similar numbers as they did in 2010. The Galloway/Respect blip in 2012 seems to have been just an anomaly. Isn't this a common event in by-elections whereby the electorate choose such a time to vent their anger/distrust/lack of faith in the system when the results of a single seat wouldn't endanger/risk the governance of the country?

i postal voted because its more comfortable than going to a cold polling station lined with a bunch of people you don't know and don't want to know and examined and checkbox ticked by pollsters and occasionally press hanging about and the generally odious musty smell of often empty places that can be vectors for human infection.

I want mobile phone voting next.

Austerity bites

11120080_10152775509551857_5481924646070410125_n.jpg

way too good to be true. Photoshopped?

Lots of folks travel for work these days and would have difficultly getting home to vote. I had meetings in London on the day of the election and wouldn't have been able to get to Edinburgh to vote in person so did so by post.

According to today's Times Nicola Sturgeon is having second thoughts about 'full fiscal autonomy'. Even if she isn't, I bet some of those who voted for her are.

http://www.thetimes.co.uk/tto/news/politics/article4436497.ece

Can't read the article but it doesn't surprise me. But I'm sure she mentioned wanting FFA on the Andrew Marr show as recently as yesterday. If she is starting to backtrack, Cameron needs to offer FFA publicly, without any subsidy deals, so the Scottish electorate can see its not being held back by Westminster.

advertisement

Back