advertisement

Tory MP assaults protester

Doesn't that suggest that it's not such a cut 'n' dried situation from a legal perspective?

I’d have expected there would be plenty of lawyers happy to take that case on a no-win/no-fee basis. Had the protester already done anything violent the MP’s reaction might be considered justifiable, but taking down a member of a clearly peaceful protest like that was clearly assault by my understanding of the definition. I know we have lawyers/barristers etc here, I’d be interested in a formal view, but I’d have thought she was on firm legal ground.

This place is littered with hindsight experts who seem to be blessed with knowledge of the thunking of others that we mere mortals are not privy to. I salute you all.

I neither know nor care what he was thinking. As ever, actions are what needs to be judged. His actions amounted to assault.

I realise that this will be a waste of typing time but...

.... When I study the video he is seated as she makes to go by him...he reaches out an arm from the seated position to stop her and she attempts to press on past him. He then escalates his efforts to restrain her. Your licensed security person picture could not apply at the time. But as you are an expert could you post the picture of how to stop someone whilst you are seated and they are moving behind you.?
Why would you want to?

Common Assault – s39 Criminal Justice Act 1988
An offence of Common Assault is committed when a person either assaults another person or commits a battery.

An assault is committed when a person intentionally or recklessly causes another to apprehend the immediate infliction of unlawful force. A battery is committed when a person intentionally or recklessly applies unlawful force to another. Where there is a battery, the defendant should be charged with ‘assault by beating’. (DPP v Little (1992) 1 All ER 299).

A woman, a mature woman, part of a large group (40) all dressed the same way with a large GREENPEACE sash draped over her shoulder is 'mistaken' by an MP for a potential gun toting threat. Whatever, if his judgement and common sense are that lacking he has no right to sit in parliament.

A woman, a mature woman, part of a large group (40) all dressed the same way with a large GREENPEACE sash draped over her shoulder is 'mistaken' by an MP for a potential gun toting threat. Whatever, if his judgement and common sense are that lacking he has no right to sit in parliament.
Historically you always see authoritarian political movements pulling the same stunt- that they were provoked into self defence by grossly exaggerated ‘threat’- an obvious Panto ruse to justify a disproportionate response. What the party and supporters of Mark Field have to learn is that their right to swing their fist ends 5mm short of the woman’s and anyone else’s nose.

Well it’s summer solstice and the summer’s here in Devon. Looking forward to a nice weekend. Hope everyone gets out and enjoys themselves.....

Historically you always see authoritarian political movements pulling the same stunt- that they were provoked into self defence by grossly exaggerated ‘threat’- an obvious Panto ruse to justify a disproportionate response. What the party and supporters of Mark Field have to learn is that their right to swing their fist ends 5mm short of the woman’s and anyone else’s nose.
Except John Prescott :) Mind I think he swung a real punch, not like some overweight tory ballerina.

His reaction and actions sicken me, I find the video very hard to watch, he deserves to be prosecuted and sacked.

His obvious lies about thinking she was dangerous, and his party members sticking up for him, make me thing that we would all be better off without the whole bunch of bullying, lying, trough snouting pack.

Pete

He looks scared alright:

D9mWYS_XkAEpHDJ

Except John Prescott :) Mind I think he swung a real punch, not like some overweight tory ballerina.

Prescott was merely attacked with a projectile whereas Field had to suffer the sheer indignity of having a woman walk in his general vicinity.

Prescott was merely attacked with a projectile whereas Field had to suffer the sheer indignity of having a woman walk in his general vicinity.

I think Prescott was quite fond of grabbing women too.*

*Mods, please delete if libellous.

advertisement

Back