advertisement

Today I have mainly been v3

Quite a ropey school in those days I am told but subsidised by the MOD for children of service personnel. It gave Mrs BM an inability to take prisoners.
I didn’t realize the connection to MOD at the time but it makes sense now.

The other private school was a convent, conveniently just up the road from where I lived. The girls were only allowed out once they were in the 6th form. Rich girls with a taste of freedom, I’ll leave it there.

Our school was where 99% of the town and out lying village kids went, even if you didn’t personally know someone, you knew who they were. I moved there at 14 from Rochdale, it was as near perfect a place to be as a teenager as you could get, I absolutely loved it.

Cheers BB

I was rather pleased that all but half-a-dozen or so of the 40-odd begonia corms I overwintered in carrier bags have sprouted again.
To me that sounds like a very good result. I tried overwintering begonia corms this year for the first time and I lost about 50%. I'd be interested to know how you went about it. Thanks

Might be Jumper on today. Took some sausages out the freezer. Feel lethargic and got a cough. Stomache ache as well. Wish i was born a moth.

Just an update to the whole saga (sorry !).

After nothing else seeming to have happened (maybe we missed it), some men came on Tuesday and filled in the hole. Some other men tarmacked it nicely. Several hours later, some more men came and took down the blue protective barriers and took the cones and the traffic lights away.

Yesterday, two orange men in two Welsh Water vans came and looked at the new tarmac. They sprayed some blue paint on it. I have a feeling this isn't finished yet.

They're back ! Two orange men turned up again last night, equipped with a listening stick and a can of blue spray paint. After much listening, we now have a dotted line of blue paint across the road from the last lot of blue paint to a new low on the other side of the road.

I look forward to developments with interest.

To me that sounds like a very good result. I tried overwintering begonia corms this year for the first time and I lost about 50%. I'd be interested to know how you went about it. Thanks

My mum used to put hers in plastic boxes filled with dry peat. She may have dusted them with flowers of sulphur. When you lift them leave them upside down so that the hollow stems fully dry out .

They're back ! Two orange men turned up again last night, equipped with a listening stick and a can of blue spray paint. After much listening, we now have a dotted line of blue paint across the road from the last lot of blue paint to a new low on the other side of the road.

I look forward to developments with interest.
Next year’s Turner prize winner.

Nothing as meticulous as @cctaylor’s mum’s method, I’m afraid. When the flowers had died off last autumn I cut all the stems to about an inch long and removed the corms from the compost. Those in a couple of troughs had obviously been infested by weevils so I chucked them (and the compost) away. I let the others dry outside for a couple of days then put them in paper carrier bags in the boiler room to try out thoroughly for a few weeks. Then I removed what was left of the stalks, brushed off as much soil as possible, put them back in the bags, stuffed them into the corner of a cupboard and forgot about them.

Around the beginning of March I was stomping around in a fury looking for something, found some carrier bags in a cupboard and wondered if it might be in there. I opened one and to my surprise found some begonia corms that were showing signs of sprouting. Over the next few weeks more and more started - even those that had only been tiny plug plants the year before. At the start of May I put them all onto trays in a greenhouse (hollows upwards) and kept them moist. That’s all, really. A few of the remaining ones are now showing tiny shoots - I reckon that makes 42 successes out of 45.

My mum used to put hers in plastic boxes filled with dry peat. She may have dusted them with flowers of sulphur. When you lift them leave them upside down so that the hollow stems fully dry out .

Nothing as meticulous as @cctaylor’s mum’s method, I’m afraid. When the flowers had died off last autumn I cut all the stems to about an inch long and removed the corms from the compost. Those in a couple of troughs had obviously been infested by weevils so I chucked them (and the compost) away. I let the others dry outside for a couple of days then put them in paper carrier bags in the boiler room to try out thoroughly for a few weeks. Then I removed what was left of the stalks, brushed off as much soil as possible, put them back in the bags, stuffed them into the corner of a cupboard and forgot about them.

Around the beginning of March I was stomping around in a fury looking for something, found some carrier bags in a cupboard and wondered if it might be in there. I opened one and to my surprise found some begonia corms that were showing signs of sprouting. Over the next few weeks more and more started - even those that had only been tiny plug plants the year before. At the start of May I put them all onto trays in a greenhouse (hollows upwards) and kept them moist. That’s all, really. A few of the remaining ones are now showing tiny shoots - I reckon that makes 42 successes out of 45.
Thanks both, very useful information. I cut back the stems to about 1" when they started going brown, then lifted them, turned them upside down and placed them in a wire mesh tray to completely dry off. Removed what was left of the stems, and any remaining soil, dusted them with sulphur powder and popped them into paper bags, putting them back on the wire trays. I think my mistake was leaving them in the garage to overwinter. Next year I'll have to find a suitable place in the house to keep them. Thanks again both.

@John.P Mum stored her corms in a dry frost free garage. The peat provided a degree of insulation, you could probably use vermiculite as an alternative. My concern in modern houses is that the humidity is often very low. In a spare unheated bedroom it should be okay.

WFH today. Had to take one of the cats for a blood test, kerching £66.00 please. That’s £600.00 over 3 visits to stabilize her thyroid problem.

Taking son #2 to a football trial tonight, he’s 22 now, last time I saw him play was at 18, looking forward to seeing how he gets on. He has played at Uni.

Cheers BB

Had to take one of the cats for a blood test, kerching £66.00 please. That’s £600.00 over 3 visits to stabilize her thyroid problem.
we had a cat with thyroid- it does stabilise, but yes blood tests for cats are expensive. But they will need testing a couple of times a year....

WFH today. Had to take one of the cats for a blood test, kerching £66.00 please. That’s £600.00 over 3 visits to stabilize her thyroid problem.

Taking son #2 to a football trial tonight, he’s 22 now, last time I saw him play was at 18, looking forward to seeing how he gets on. He has played at Uni.

Cheers BB
Let us know how he gets on.

advertisement

Back