advertisement

Today I have mainly been v1

Status
Not open for further replies.
As the street urchins’ cries of ‘Oi, Dumbledore!’ get more and more frequent, I thought it was time to fill the post of Wizard’s Familiar. I decided an Eagle Owl would possess suitable gravitas, and as this young chap seemed to have what it takes...

51569641278_58ce45673c_z.jpg

...he was summoned forward for a face-to-face interview. Where do you see yourself in two years’ time? Where would you say your weaknesses lie?

51569396616_32c4506351_z.jpg

Installing one of them trail cameras what was touted in another thread in the garden (took a while to get here by slow boat...) - to see if it really is foxes shitting on the lawn.
This evening installed Linux Mint on a really old netbook - decided it was pants so then installed Debian Buster - twice !!!

Second attempt is still installing (yawn...)

Second attempt is still installing (yawn...)

Finally finished installing .... but half of it doesn't really work (can't access the 'Installed Packages' doofer so I can remove the inane games for instance)
Ah - well - at least I tried.

Will put the Windows XP drive back in tomorrow ....

About to start another day of house renovations at my sister's, slow going when I can only have Sat + Sun at it. Goal is to get enough done that we can get the two radiators back on in time for the colder weather coming, also I think she is getting fed up of basically living upstairs.

Getting a bit fed up myself to be honest, all I seem to do is stuff for other people and I've got tons of stuff piled up of my own. My place is a tip because I haven't had a day off in weeks etc. It's starting to grind me down.

It's good being practical and having many strings to your bow, but it means everybody always wants something doing when you're the only practical person they know, especially when poor quality tradies are charging the earth for substandard work.

About to start another day of house renovations at my sister's, slow going when I can only have Sat + Sun at it. Goal is to get enough done that we can get the two radiators back on in time for the colder weather coming, also I think she is getting fed up of basically living upstairs.

Getting a bit fed up myself to be honest, all I seem to do is stuff for other people and I've got tons of stuff piled up of my own. My place is a tip because I haven't had a day off in weeks etc. It's starting to grind me down.

It's good being practical and having many strings to your bow, but it means everybody always wants something doing when you're the only practical person they know, especially when poor quality tradies are charging the earth for substandard work.

you can say no, which is what I do.

waking up in a nice hotel in London. They provide nice coffee and the kit to make pourover coffee in the room. This is so much nicer than the crap pod machines or even worse instant.

Will go looking for a breakfast soon, then a pint or two to quell my hangover and home to make the venison stew with parsley dumplings.

Just shows what a nice, unselfish person you are. Hope you get through it intact and then have time to take some time off for yourself.

Have you not got the hang of a quid pro quo arrangement with your sister? I'd be going along the lines of "listen, I'm doing this for you because you're my sis, but back home is a pigsty, there's no food in and a pile of washing. You can fix all of those things this afternoon, knock up a lasagne for both of us, then we all win".

know the feeling well , it's important to have 1 day off a week from this otherwise your immune system will go down and mental health will suffer

I’m completely cack-handed. I didn’t need to learn incompetence, I was born that way. The plus side is that no-one asks me to fix anything or do any odd jobs.
Reminds me of a remark my dad made, many years ago when I was in my teens. He and I were in the garden digging a land drain. Thigh deep trench, gravel, clay pipes, the whole bit. A neighbour passed "oh, busy again? My husband could never do that, it must be great to be so practical!" My dad waited until she'd gone, then said " yeah, it's great to be able to do this kind of thing. Her husband is sitting in front of the TV watching the football, we're digging a drain. So who's the mug? "

Have you not got the hang of a quid pro quo arrangement with your sister? I'd be going along the lines of "listen, I'm doing this for you because you're my sis, but back home is a pigsty, there's no food in and a pile of washing. You can fix all of those things this afternoon, knock up a lasagne for both of us, then we all win".

Well she's here as well doing other stuff like sanding and tarting things up.

Spent the morning grading records, and throwing some away. Despite throwing away 1000’s of records, I still hate it, especially when they are spotless. Still, I recycled some inners and card sleeves.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back