advertisement

The watch thread: pocket, wrist, sporty, showy? You name it!

I really like both of those, it’s looking like I need to up my budget, from various bits of reading I’ve done, the Seiko 5 is my favourite, it really does get good reviews for a budget mechanical auto jobby.
You don't need to up your budget at all, the Seiko 5 above is £50, give or take a tenner. I have the green one, the snk805 iirc, I've had it 5 or 6 years, it's been used nearly every day since and I love it. If you like it, get one. I keep looking at the blue one and thinking "go on..." but the green one still looks better to me.

Yes, I can recommend it. I'm very pleased with it. Mine came from Amazon off the link I included. There are cheaper suppliers, but I preferred the peace of mind of getting it via Amazon rather than a reseller whose provenance I can't realistically check.

It's also available in other colours, some of which are a bit cheaper. I'd have had the green if not the blue. I like the black version too, but my other watch has a black face so I wanted something different.
Good call on the provenance thing, yes, I’m sceptical too with all the fakes, thanks for your help, I’ll decide soon and post on here what I get.

I just bought my first and hopefully, my last watch of 2020: a Casio AQ-230A. This is my second Casio AQ-230A, but this time I've gone for the gold-tone version; I bought the black dial version last year. I saw the watch in Argos the other day and the finish looked unpretentiously cool as opposed to pretentiously garish, which is often the case with cheap gold-tone watches. Suffice to say, I weighed up the pros and cons as I've already got too many watches and not enough wrists, but it's so likeable in real life I just had to buy one :)

81niBt5Di-L._AC_SL1500_.jpg

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
Given that your first purchase is in the first week of the new year, I'd say your chances of holding off all year are minimal. Good luck.

You don't need to up your budget at all, the Seiko 5 above is £50, give or take a tenner. I have the green one, the snk805 iirc, I've had it 5 or 6 years, it's been used nearly every day since and I love it. If you like it, get one. I keep looking at the blue one and thinking "go on..." but the green one still looks better to me.
They're great aren't they? I've got one as my gardening /DIY watch. The case and glass are quite battered and scratched but it just keeps going.

On the provenance think, I can't really see anyone bothering to produce fake £50 Seiko 5 based watches, can you?

You ever get the Vostok in the post yet Steve ?
You won't believe me. I got 2! There was a collection slip landed mid December, I took it to the sorting office and the chap said "have you got the other slip from yesterday?" Er, no, I replied . "Oh well, if you do find it, just destroy it. Sign here." He handed over 2 identical packets. I now have 2 identical watches, one new. It/they are great, keep good time and look good. The bracelet is horrible, it pulls the hairs out of my arm.

Anyone want a cheap watch? I have a spare.

You won't believe me. I got 2! There was a collection slip landed mid December, I took it to the sorting office and the chap said "have you got the other slip from yesterday?" Er, no, I replied . "Oh well, if you do find it, just destroy it. Sign here." He handed over 2 identical packets. I now have 2 identical watches, one new. It/they are great, keep good time and look good. The bracelet is horrible, it pulls the hairs out of my arm.

Anyone want a cheap watch? I have a spare.

Ha - Score :)

Throw up a pic maybe when you get the chance. My curiosity has been well and truly peakified after this length of time :)

I just bought my first and hopefully, my last watch of 2020: a Casio AQ-230A. This is my second Casio AQ-230A, but this time I've gone for the gold-tone version; I bought the black dial version last year. I saw the watch in Argos the other day and the finish looked unpretentiously cool as opposed to pretentiously garish, which is often the case with cheap gold-tone watches. Suffice to say, I weighed up the pros and cons as I've already got too many watches and not enough wrists, but it's so likeable in real life I just had to buy one :)

81niBt5Di-L._AC_SL1500_.jpg
That reminds me so much of a Seiko I got for my 18th or 21st birthday back in the day.I’m guessing this one is almost twice what I paid for mine back in the day.

http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/710-5...0001&campid=5338728743&icep_item=323791843946

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
Ha - Score :)

Throw up a pic maybe when you get the chance. My curiosity has been well and truly peakified after this length of time :)
The model I ordered is 060509. Mine has a slightly different bezel, it has numbers instead of NESW but is otherwise identical.

I watched that Vostok watches episode on one of the TV sales channels (I watched it online after someone posted a link) and I'm just not man enough to hold one in real life never mind wear one as they're fricken steroids on watches - or is it the other way about, I don't know. I just know I don't have the brute masculinity to wear one lol. That said, I think Steve might have the wrists to pull it off

advertisement

Back