advertisement

The watch thread: pocket, wrist, sporty, showy? You name it!

Yes Vostok - Europe.....BEASTLY

387604_STANDARD__BRN_20161110_1.jpg

48mm Diameter and 17mm thick.
The Ideal world show is hilarious as they drool on about Pee Vee Dee plating, GTLS Tritium Tubes and true Italian 5 layer Leather.
classy. I want one of those too now.

Update FWIW: still got the horn for the JLC Master Ultra-Thin Moon. If I get a good bonus, it will be mine. Maybe :)

https://www.idealworld.tv/gb/show

On live as we speak...it is comedy gold and this isn't even the most outrageous presenter.

Yep, the watches and the sales pitches are outrageous! In saying that, I think the Ghurka has potential. If it was sensibility proportioned, had sapphire glass and was a lot cheaper - okay, a helluva lot cheaper - I'd be tempted. But even then I'd probably just stick with my Explorer and Casio F91-W.

Meanwhile.. a cautionary tale....

I took my Rado Ceramica into Goldsmiths in Liverpool to get a new battery fitted. They don't do them in house but send them away and they are supposedly fitted with a new battery, checked over.. new seals, pressure test and an ultrasonic clean of the case and strap.

So.. personable young chap handled the deal.. told me my Rado was a 'beautiful ' watch etc. We had a pleasant chat. I mentioned the very finest of marks visible on the strap, where it can contact surfaces like table tops etc... definitely only visible in a certain light and there were NO scratches or other damage whatever to the watch. Otherwise, the watch is immaculate and only ever worn for 'best'.

Anyway.. the lad was taking his time and I mentioned I was meeting friends.. so signed the receipt for the watch and left, with in fact a total of three receipts.

Was only a couple of days later when I looked closely and found that the lad had completed the receipt small print to read:

'Scratches on Glass? YES'
'Condition of watch? WORN'
'Scratches on Bracelet? YES'
'Scratches on Bezel? YES'

I went ballistic and called the shop immediately. Spoke to the manager and pointed out to him that it was completely out of order for this lad to make such judgements and such comments without any negotiation with me and without even pointing out to me that he had done so. Manager agreed. I told him that if there was any additional damage whetever to my prized watch on return, I would be demanding recompense.

I think I made myself understood.

And yes.. OK.. I should have fully read the receipt before signing it... but there's still an issue of trust here.

I will report the outcome.

Quoting myself again.... I really must get a life...

Anyway.. after the above debacle. the lad in the shop told me the battery replacement would take 3-4 weeks. I was a little miffed about this, but decided to live with it.

In fact, on the receipt the 'estimated' return date is given as 1/12/19, which would actually be nearer to 5 weeks.

So.. I called today and was told they quote 4-6 weeks. I assured them that I had been told 3-4 weeks and was not happy. Chap agreed to chase it up and call me back. After a while he called back and told me that the repair centre was awaiting new seals 'on back order' and expecting them by early next week. He did admit that he wasn't happy that the repair centre hadn't communicated this fact. I agreed that neither was I and told him I now regret even entrusting my watch to Goldsmiths. He agreed to call me as soon as the watch is returned.

We shall see what transpires.. but so far this whole business has been a farce.

I will not be using Goldsmith's again.

Morning all,

Is it possible to get a reliable well made watch for around £50?

Looks wise, I like metal strap, chronograph style.

Thank you.

Morning all,

Is it possible to get a reliable well made watch for around £50?

Looks wise, I like metal strap, chronograph style.

Thank you.
If you are happy with a quartz watch needing a new battery once a year or so, yes as others have shown. Quartz is more accurate and totally reliable if you change batteries as needed. You can leave it in a drawer for 6 months, take it out and it will have the right time.
Mechanical and chrono for £50 is a bit harder. Maybe with a Russian mech.

My cheapest auto is this a Seiko Baby Monster these can be found used for around £100/150 ish new from £220/300
I did a video review of my one here is a link

Mrs P-T bought me one of these for my birthday recently:

seiko-5-snkn807-01br-1280x640.jpg

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Seiko-Automatic-Analogue-Display-Fabric/dp/B006CHML4I/ref=sr_1_9?crid=2YTXUCLCTSU3V&keywords=seiko+5+automatic+watch&qid=1577788825&sprefix=seiko,aps,163&sr=8-9

I wanted an 'everyday' automatic watch (I already have a decent automatic) and have gone off quartz watches, by and large (could make an exception for the Bulova 'moon watch' though...)

My cheapest auto is this a Seiko Baby Monster these can be found used for around £100/150 ish new from £220/300
I did a video review of my one here is a link

I really like both of those, it’s looking like I need to up my budget, from various bits of reading I’ve done, the Seiko 5 is my favourite, it really does get good reviews for a budget mechanical auto jobby.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
I really like both of those, it’s looking like I need to up my budget, from various bits of reading I’ve done, the Seiko 5 is my favourite, it really does get good reviews for a budget mechanical auto jobby.
Yes, I can recommend it. I'm very pleased with it. Mine came from Amazon off the link I included. There are cheaper suppliers, but I preferred the peace of mind of getting it via Amazon rather than a reseller whose provenance I can't realistically check.

It's also available in other colours, some of which are a bit cheaper. I'd have had the green if not the blue. I like the black version too, but my other watch has a black face so I wanted something different.

Its a Spinnaker Tesei Bronze, Spinnaker do a range of cheap watches with Seiko movements which to be fair
Look pretty good but this is there flagship model and has a RRP of £720 but you can always found discount
codes which drop the price to around £550
Its houses a Swiss Sellita SW200-1 movement and is a true 300m diver with a helium valve which you will never use :)

Here is a video review I made about it

advertisement

Back