advertisement

The watch thread: pocket, wrist, sporty, showy? You name it!

I'm waiting for delivery of a Vostok Amphibia. Went for the 060509. The 060 is the case style, this one has the stainless bracelet and the shroud over the end links, and the 509 is the face style, in this case 60's style numerals on a black face. All this for the price of a few drinks and a curry for two. I very nearly went for the 120813, but the one I got is just a bit different. Selecting them is good fun, you can knit one purl one for face and case styles, some look great, some not, and it's a safe bet nobody else will have the same watch as you the next time you go out. I'll post up pics when it lands, it's coming from Russia, probably on a donkey judging by the time required.

I wonder if the women’s models of Rolex, Omega etc. keep their value as well as the men’s.

IME the obsessive collector mentality is mainly a male thing.

Kevin

I'm waiting for delivery of a Vostok Amphibia. Went for the 060509. The 060 is the case style, this one has the stainless bracelet and the shroud over the end links, and the 509 is the face style, in this case 60's style numerals on a black face. All this for the price of a few drinks and a curry for two. I very nearly went for the 120813, but the one I got is just a bit different. Selecting them is good fun, you can knit one purl one for face and case styles, some look great, some not, and it's a safe bet nobody else will have the same watch as you the next time you go out. I'll post up pics when it lands, it's coming from Russia, probably on a donkey judging by the time required.
Very nice. I really like them.
I fancy a Sturmanskie 'gagarin' 2609...the simple one with big luminous letters.

They're nice too but a bit more money. If you want cheap and are prepared to do your own winding you can get a Vostok Komanderskie (sp?) for under £30, new. That's a real piece of history for buttons.

Not that I would wear a Vostok in a fit as I'd likely be weighed down by the sheer beastliness of it but....I am completely addicted to their regular sales on 'Ideal World shappin channel'. The devotion of the presenters is bordering on sexual.

I bought this purple nato strap to wear with my Explorer at the conference I helped put on last week and it has to be said, it's very dressy!

I wonder if the women’s models of Rolex, Omega etc. keep their value as well as the men’s.

Kevin

You are right. A "collectable" man's watch is worth much more than the equivalent women's watch, although they may have cost the same when new.

Just picked this thread up again.

I also really do hate the Cyclopean lens thing on day/date on so many watches - why is it so hard to find a top-flight mechanical watch without a date even? It is the least necessary of any complication I can think of, except you have to futz with it each and every month.
(I know Omega do a lovely SeaMaster thing without such; but I have bought great cars for less; so that's right out.)

Otherwise no change from last two posts - - an Orange Monster for giggles & work-out, and another Seiko 5 for alternate daily beater: #192; #195 - both still going strong, and actually day-to-day, and more than tidy enough, usu wear the original, black face/white lettered Citizen £50 solar-powered mil-style thing akin to post 195, that I've had over a decade, and which keeps ludicrously-good time over several months - so much so I haven't corrected it in years.

Yes Vostok - Europe.....BEASTLY

387604_STANDARD__BRN_20161110_1.jpg

48mm Diameter and 17mm thick.
The Ideal world show is hilarious as they drool on about Pee Vee Dee plating, GTLS Tritium Tubes and true Italian 5 layer Leather.

Kevin

No they don’t. I know this from experience having bought a previous wife a vintage Art Deco ladies dress watch that went down in value

Mainly it’s the stainless steel sports (sub, sea dwellers etc) where the supply numbers are strictly controlled. The current vogue of overly larger chassis will pass I believe. And if you look at 2ND hand values of sea dwellers and submariners, this is reflected in prices.

I have a 2005 16600 with 40mm bezel. It’s just the right size and not the best known of Rolecsx, notable fir not having a cyclops eye. I love it and will never sell it.

I have a 2005 16600 with 40mm bezel. It’s just the right size and not the best known of Rolecsx, notable fir not having a cyclops eye. I love it and will never sell it.
I bought a new 16610 (kermit) in 2007 for 3600£ after a quick haggle. My regret is not buying another and keeping it in the box! I love mine too and won't be parting with it. I was on the waiting list for a batman several years ago but became fed up waiting so another small regret here as well.

Anyway, there are some beautiful watches on here.

Otherwise no change from last two posts - - an Orange Monster for giggles & work-out, and another Seiko 5 for alternate daily beater: #192; #195 - both still going strong, and actually day-to-day.
I still wear one like yours in #195, a Seiko SNK 805. It's been a daily watch for over 5 years now and it's wearing a few scuffs and scars, but it still looks great. I've smartened it up with a brown leather strap, with that it looks less Action Man around the office. It pains me to admit it but I almost like it more than my Alpinist that only comes out on special occasions.

I bought a new 16610 (kermit) in 2007 for 3600£ after a quick haggle. My regret is not buying another and keeping it in the box! I love mine too and won't be parting with it. I was on the waiting list for a batman several years ago but became fed up waiting so another small regret here as well.

Anyway, there are some beautiful watches on here.

Indeed. Kermit is v nice. As long as you keep box n docs etc. all is good for long term.

Believe in wearing watches and a few marks don’t really impact values or desirability. They are sports watches after all and should be at home at the bottom of an oil rig.

I did actually have to have a new case on mine after I dinged it in the garage. Sent it fir service where usually they give a clean and buff at same time. They refused to service mine as the ding was too near the helium escape valve. New case plus some other bits? £5500!!!!!!! Far more than I paid new. Claimed on house insurance in end.

advertisement

Back