advertisement

The UK's top towns. The obvious and the overlooked

My pain in the neck FiL has just moved to Liskeard to be closer to his daughter (my SiL) who lives somewhere in Cornwall. The FiL moved from St Albans and is now constantly moaning how bored he is in Cornwall. My SiL is constantly moaning about what a pain it is to have been followed by FiL. Personally both my wife and I are delighted he has chosen to inflict himself on Cornwall

I don't see why Cornwall is seen as the only game in town. If I wanted similar I'd choose Pembrokeshire, fewer crowds, cheaper, less traffic, nearer to most places inc London. People don't want to use their imagination, I don't know why.

Yes, Pembrokeshire is lovely. Cornwall without the buggies, 4x4s and high pitched nobs from Clapham.

My pain in the neck FiL has just moved to Liskeard to be closer to his daughter (my SiL) who lives somewhere in Cornwall. The FiL moved from St Albans and is now constantly moaning how bored he is in Cornwall. My SiL is constantly moaning about what a pain it is to have been followed by FiL. Personally both my wife and I are delighted he has chosen to inflict himself on Cornwall

Good God. Liskeard is one of the last places on earth I would choose to live, particular after somewhere like St Albans! Do whatever it takes to avoid having to visit!

Good God. Liskeard is one of the last places on earth I would choose to live, particular after somewhere like St Albans! Do whatever it takes to avoid having to visit!
No worries there. He keeps hinting about us visiting, the last time he suggested it, we headed to Edinburgh!

and this coming bank holiday we are heading north to York

I don't see why Cornwall is seen as the only game in town. If I wanted similar I'd choose Pembrokeshire, fewer crowds, cheaper, less traffic, nearer to most places inc London. People don't want to use their imagination, I don't know why.

That’s why I live in rural Wales! It’s like the few decent bits of Cornwall 30 years ago, except I can be at a proper International airport in just over an hour and do London and back in a day if required.

No worries there. He keeps hinting about us visiting, the last time he suggested it, we headed to Edinburgh!

and this coming bank holiday we are heading north to York

Nicely planned! Bank holiday and Cornwall are simply a disaster. My folks know not to bother inviting me now until at least October.

Always had great times in both York and Edinburgh. I’d happily live on the west coast of Scotland as well if it wasn’t for the politics (don’t go there!) and the midges in the summer. It’s one of the most beautiful parts of the world I have seen.

I told my sister to go to Wales but she was determined to go to Cornwall . I think people forget a place may be nice for a holiday but is quite different when you live there .I often put off going down there myself because the journey often has traffic problems and a 31/2 hour drive has turned into 7 in the past

My sister lives in Cornwall and after being there a year is not impressed , some very nice small towns and villages but these become stacked out in the summer with nowhere to park .The roads are awful in summer an as others have mentioned many bottlenecks all year round , bus service awful as well .
She found it hard to find a job and had to accept low pay , it is mostly a poor area . Not enough Doctors and dentists or schools for the number of houses they are building , transport links poor and it rains more than people think . She is thinking of leaving !

No comment...!

Yes, Pembrokeshire is lovely

Agreed. 'Little England beyond Wales'. Fantastic coastline and walks (beats Cornwall, i.m.o.). Tenby's a quaint place with Saundersfoot a coastal walk away, castles nearby and Britain's smallest city. Still gets a bit crowded in summer but not as Cornwall does.

I've done a lot of climbing there on the sea cliffs. There is a geological divide between N & S, the S is a karst type limestone that generates steep cliffs with mostly sound rock, the N is a mixture, largely more compact metamorphics and sandstones, slightly easier angled but with fewer cracks so harder to protect against a fall. I prefer the climbing in the north, and the area too. It's wilder and more rugged.

Agreed. 'Little England beyond Wales'. Fantastic coastline and walks (beats Cornwall, i.m.o.). Tenby's a quaint place with Saundersfoot a coastal walk away, castles nearby and Britain's smallest city. Still gets a bit crowded in summer but not as Cornwall does.

Laugharne's nice too. Fantastic views across the estuary from the Dylan Thomas boathouse.

Most easterly town in England. Like Brighton without the expense. Land's end without the tat.

47_Lowestoft_Beach_huts_and_prom_hut_Jon_Gibbs.jpg

lowestoft.jpg

ness-point-also-known-as-lowestoft-ness-most-easterly-point-england-united-kingdom-british-isles-ness-point-112909022.jpg

Stephen

Wales can delight and depress in equal measure, fond of Brecon, would murder to get out of Bridgend. Whitby is a fave of mine, such a nice place with a really nice vibe and friendly people, on the opposite coast a tiny place called Rampside managed to be both flat, desolate and beautiful(reminding me of a spooky kids series from the 60's The Owl Service). Favourite small town is New Brighton(!) fantastic sunsets, fresh air, great coastal walks, hardly any Chelsea Tractors, a mere sprinkling of chavs and 30 min from Liverpool and Chester. A nutty place we discovered on a trip up to Scotland was St Conans Kirk on Loch Awe.

on the opposite coast a tiny place called Rampside managed to be both flat, desolate and beautiful.
A lot of the east coast is like that. Watch "Whistle and I'll come to you" on YouTube for a prime example, I think it's filmed in Suffolk. There's a little known bit of Cleethorpes that is very pleasant. The town is pretty naff, Grimsby even more so, but that little corner is lovely.
Also with regard to Londonistas and places to visit, carry on visiting Cornwall. Don't go anywhere near the Yorkshire Dales, it's horrible, it never stops raining, the locals are miserable and speak in an impenetrable and incomprehensible dialect, and you can't get a decent cup of coffee to save your life. There, that should do it. Pembrokeshire is horrible too. So is all of Wales. Stay east of the bridge at all costs.

Also with regard to Londonistas and places to visit, carry on visiting Cornwall. Don't go anywhere near the Yorkshire Dales, it's horrible, it never stops raining, the locals are miserable and speak in an impenetrable and incomprehensible dialect, and you can't get a decent cup of coffee to save your life. There, that should do it. Pembrokeshire is horrible too. So is all of Wales. Stay east of the bridge at all costs.

Trust him Londoners, it’s all true. Basically anywhere outside the M25 is ‘here be dragons’ territory. Don’t risk it.

Last edited:

advertisement

Back