advertisement

The UK's top towns. The obvious and the overlooked

I did in fact cycle through Cartmel on my Sunday ride. The warm weather, bank holiday weekend and a three-day race meeting had turned the beautiful little village into a seething mass of humanity. It's definitely on my to do list.

I've been to Holker a few times.

A weekend trip to The Lake District has reminded me that despite being a tourist honey pot, Ambleside is indeed a fine little town. It also has the 'blingest' bike shop I've ever seen in my life.

Unfortunately I spent a few hours in Grange-over-Sands and found it dreadful. A little town with only one pub - and a piss poor one at that. Great views across Morcambe Bay and little else.
You went to Ambleside on a sunny Bank Holiday? Jesus, what time did you go in? About 4am? They are standing on each other's heads by 0830. It's a lovely place but you need to be there out of season and/or in the week.

You went to Ambleside on a sunny Bank Holiday? Jesus, what time did you go in? About 4am? They are standing on each other's heads by 0830. It's a lovely place but you need to be there out of season and/or in the week.

I've been lots of times so appreciate what you say. Rode through on Friday afternoon and it was really quiet. Went in on the bus on Saturday morning until after lunch and it was barely busy.

advertisement

Back