advertisement

The UK's top towns. The obvious and the overlooked

HarryB

pfm Member
I've travelled about the UK quite a bit but I intend to travel more now that me and Mrs B have a motorhome.

Among my favourites (in no particular order) Canterbury, Lincoln, Totnes, Chester, Ludlow and York.

What's yours?

Cambridge - obvious and very busy in summer.
Agree with Lincoln - lovely castle and cathedral. Ely cathedral is also nice.
Rural Suffolk is often overlooked and has some lovely areas, like around Woodbridge with Sutton Hoo and Framlingham castle.
The south downs way makes for very pleasant hiking and mountain biking.
Agree with Ludlow area - nice cycling over that way when it's not raining.

I'd like to throw Halifax into the hat.

I've heard you can still get a decent chip butty in Halifax.

Not many towns you can say that about in 2018.

Have to agree with York, one of my favourites that I visit at least a couple of times a year. Excellent in the summer but also at Christmas.
I also think Chester is a bit of a gem and definitely worth a visit.
Was a a bit underwhelmed when I toured Canterbury and Cambridge !
I also own a motorhome and find it a brilliant way to explore this wonderful country.

Thanks. But no thanks. Aside from Stevenage I've been to all the others. Grim in varying degrees.

I'll assume it was an attempt at humour.

Nein, i don't do humour.

Actually York is ok,we will be there this coming Thursday for three nights.

Harry the blunt answer is - go find out for yourselves!

Now - given I'z an Zummerzet - I'm partial to the near-southwest, all of it, and that includes so much of South and mid-Wales; a 2hr radius from say Bristol is an amazing span! *

But depending on how you measure it, and how close to the edge you want to go, the nation has betweeen 5 and 19 thousand miles of coastline: that alone should keep you busy. Pick even just 10% of that as potential 'coastal bits to explore' and it'll keep your schedule full for a few years.

Enjoy it all. And please post pics over on pfm photo, say the pic a day thread, of what you enjoy as you find it, to inspire others. :)

* `ETA: compass points within that timescale to illustrate: London in the east; Rhyader and the dams to the north west; Exmoor and the N Dorset coast easily as far as Croyde; Lyme Regis or Totnes SW (edge of Dartmoor if you push it); well east of Christchurch on the south coast SE. What do you want to spend time around and see? Start there.

I've been to every city, town and most substantial suburbs in England, Wales and Scotland (up to Inverness), most of them many times plus Eire once. With cities, I guess my home one (Norwich) might be high on the list. Otherwise, I'd be hard-pressed to choose. All my visits over 34 years were to retail conurbations, so tiny market towns may have been missed.

From my holidays in my Saundersfoot flat, I think Tenby in 'Little England beyond Wales' and its environs make for a nice sojourn. Of course, Bath, Harrogate, York, Chester and the like are good tourist venues. I would include Canterbury as I went to college there but don't think it quite makes the grade.

Of course, you can mentally travel round the coast and find some pleasant seaside places like Whitby, Eastbourne and Torquay, for example.

Great country; pity about the weather though !

I can't think of 5, but can I add Arundel in West Sussex, amazing historical town with a stunning high street, with a high ancient wall which surrounds the castle and grounds. Lovely pubs, cafes, and countryside. Unfortunately too many people know of its loveliness, best not to go on sundays.

I agree with the initial list, particularly York. Shrewsbury's very nice, if you can work out how to pronounce it, also Bath and Wells and Exeter.

Being a Man City fan home and away during the bad times - which were ironically some of the best times - I can honestly tell you this beautiful country of ours is full of nuggets. Barnsley, West Bromwich, Shrewsbury, Grimsby, Stoke, Huddersfield, Rotherham and Blackpool, they're all magic!

I like many of the above listed. I'd throw in a big up for my native Nottingham, which has much of interest, though the local council don't promote it or preserve it as well as I'd like.

advertisement

Back