advertisement

The UK's top towns. The obvious and the overlooked

I really like Keswick, bit touristy but it's excellent, we were there last week for one night, stayed in a dog friendly hotel just outside of Keswick in a small hamlet, really nice place and reasonable with great breakfasts and a good pub within walking distance of the hotel.

http://www.lakedistrictinns.co.uk

http://www.lakedistrictinns.co.uk/kings-head

Yes, we normally stay in Keswick every other year - Derwentwater is my wife's favourite lake and it also has possibly the best of the Lake District walks - the town as a place to live lacks a decent supermarket, but otherwise for its size is amazing - especially the setting and the theatre.

Yes, we normally stay in Keswick every other year - Derwentwater is my wife's favourite lake and it also has possibly the best of the Lake District walks - the town as a place to live lacks a decent supermarket, but otherwise for its size is amazing - especially the setting and the theatre.

We're off for a week to Eskdale again (we were there last July) in July to stay in an old 17th century farmhouse (pretty basic), Eskdale itself is lovely and very untourisy and very close to Wasedale, Wast Water and Skafel Pike. Cartmel is about an hour away.

??? Booths is about as good as you’ll get in terms of supermarkets! Really like Keswick. We take the California up there and stay right by Derwentwater. Lovely.

We're off for a week to Eskdale again (we were there last July) in July to stay in an old 17th century farmhouse (pretty basic), Eskdale itself is lovely and very untourisy and very close to Wasedale, Wast Water and Skafel Pike. Cartmel is about an hour away.

Aye, we really need to get over to Eskdale - possibly the quietist part of the lakes?

??? Booths is about as good as you’ll get in terms of supermarkets! Really like Keswick. We take the California up there and stay right by Derwentwater. Lovely.

Perhaps there is a Booths, though we tend to use the Co-op store. We've also had some 'interesting' meals in local 'restaurants' over the years...

Wasedale, wast water, hard Knott pass, wrynose pass are some of the most stunning places I have seen in the UK. And yes Cartmel is close by. We normally stay in Cartmel, and avail ourselves of some of the finest 2 Michelin starred cooking this country has https://www.lenclume.co.uk/. His rooms are very nice, but the breakfast served in Rogan & Co is one of the finest I have had

Aye, we really need to get over to Eskdale - possibly the quietist part of the lakes?

We've not been in many of the lakes so couldn't really say wether it's the quietest place or one of them but I love it so too does my wife and daughter, we're up in the hills above Eskdale amongst the sheep farms, great for the dog with plenty of streams and fields but he does chase the sheep so I'm taking him for sheep training to Penrith for a half day's training in July so that he's hopefully okay with the sheep when we get there as there's thousands of them round about where we will be staying.

https://www.cumbrian-cottages.co.uk...akes-and-coast/birkerthwaite-farmhouse-w43001

Wasedale, wast water, hard Knott pass, wrynose pass are some of the most stunning places I have seen in the UK. And yes Cartmel is close by. We normally stay in Cartmel, and avail ourselves of some of the finest 2 Michelin starred cooking this country has https://www.lenclume.co.uk/. His rooms are very nice, but the breakfast served in Rogan & Co is one of the finest I have had

Wast Water is stunning easily as beautiful as anywhere I've been to up in The West Coast Of Scotland, I think it's a bit like Glencoe in that it's really quite an eerie place and very atmospheric, the pub up there is great too.

My wife and daughter refuse point blank to go over the passes though but I'm going to try to persuade them to go over them this year.

Falmouth, Truro and St Ives.

Grew up in Falmouth, went to Truro School, far too many messy nights in St Ives. It’s a love hate relationship for me. Adored my childhood there but it’s just not the same place I grew up in. Simply far too busy now. Only visit the family there off season, just about tolerable!

Grew up in Falmouth, went to Truro School, far too many messy nights in St Ives. It’s a love hate relationship for me. Adored my childhood there but it’s just not the same place I grew up in. Simply far too busy now. Only visit the family there off season, just about tolerable!

we hated St Ives when we visited a couple of years ago, way too busy for me. Like Falmouth, have friends there and enjoy visiting.

Wast Water is stunning easily as beautiful as anywhere I've been to up in The West Coast Of Scotland, I think it's a bit like Glencoe in that it's really quite an eerie place and very atmospheric, the pub up there is great too.

My wife and daughter refuse point blank to go over the passes though but I'm going to try to persuade them to go over them this year.

Louise hated the drive though the passes - the screams were blood curdling.

I've just moved down from Milton keynes. If this area is too busy I'm guessing you have moved to the isle of Hebrides :)

Nice part of the world. Busy doesmean more money though which this area needs.

Often get called to a job in Bridgnorth with work, looks like a nice little place but I've not had chance to mooch around there yet.
You must. there is lots of interesting places tucked away in little corners. I have been going to organised treasure hunts there and find all sorts of interesting pubs tucked away.

The reason it's freezing is to stop Southerners retiring there. The Northumberland coast is not undiscovered anymore but it's still quiet and the beaches are breathtaking. Despite my ex wife being present I still have great memories of exploring that coast.

Cheers BB

tho, it's a shame that beadnell has one of the most second homes (owned in the uk) now and it's pricing the locals out of the area...lovely place tho, will endeavour to spend more time there this summer... :)

What's wrong with Newark? I always thought that it was a decent little town. I've stopped off there a few times on the train, just outside Northgate station there was a pub (Bowling Green? Barley mow?) where I once stopped off for a pint when a train was delayed. it was very pleasant.

I have been visiting Keswick for 60 years. A couple of years ago, I expressed my astonishment, to some friends who live a few miles from Keswick, that the town lacked a decent supermarket. How had I, for all these years, missed Booths? Excellent supermarket.
And, Booths have decent toilet facilities which are disgracefully lacking in Keswick.

Got to put a vote in for Chichester. Walk round the walls, down the canal, cathedral, proper little shops, multitude of independent restaurants (plus the chains of course), traffic-free centre, harbour, Fishbourne Roman palace, Witterings beach
Just don't come on Goodwood weekends. Unless you like cars, in which case, come on Goodwood weekends.

I have been visiting Keswick for 60 years. A couple of years ago, I expressed my astonishment, to some friends who live a few miles from Keswick, that the town lacked a decent supermarket. How had I, for all these years, missed Booths? Excellent supermarket.
And, Booths have decent toilet facilities which are disgracefully lacking in Keswick.
IIRC the Booths occupies the site of the old Walter Willson supermarket. A WW carrier bag back in the day marked anyone out as a man of taste and distinction.

advertisement

Back