advertisement

The UK's top towns. The obvious and the overlooked

G Fisher is somewhat gentrified these days, a climbing boutique cum cafe with prices to match, but a very good range nevertheless. Needle Sports at the bottom of the market place is better if all you are after is quality gear.

I've just moved down from Milton keynes. If this area is too busy I'm guessing you have moved to the isle of Hebrides :)

Nice part of the world. Busy doesmean more money though which this area needs.

I guess it’s Shangri La compared to MK. Take Truro for example. They are building thousands of new houses, which will place further pressure on creaking infrastructure. Rabbit hutch estates and not cheap. Christ knows who will buy them, there are no well paid jobs unless you are a Doctor, Dentist, local Solicitor et al and then you will want to live in Feock, St Agnes etc, not an identikit new build estate on the outskirts of Truro. My guess is they will end up full of problem families moved down from up country, which is happening a lot in Cornwall.

I love Cornwall and have toyed with moving to be nearer family and friends but just can’t bring myself to do it. OK if you live on Restronguet Point, but for that sort of money there are many options elsewhere which offer so much more in my view. I’m sure you’ll enjoy it though, it’s lovely if you can avoid the crowds and associated traffic.

I guess it’s Shangri La compared to MK. .
It may be but I'm currently about 15 miles from MK in a very pleasant part of the world. Housing is somewhere between expensive and downright offensive, but that's the SE. If you wanted to be within striking distance of MK and have housing at reasonable prices then a commute into Northamptonshire, say to Daventry or Towcester ought to fit the bill.

I guess it’s Shangri La compared to MK. Take Truro for example. They are building thousands of new houses, which will place further pressure on creaking infrastructure. Rabbit hutch estates and not cheap. Christ knows who will buy them, there are no well paid jobs unless you are a Doctor, Dentist, local Solicitor et al and then you will want to live in Feock, St Agnes etc, not an identikit new build estate on the outskirts of Truro. My guess is they will end up full of problem families moved down from up country, which is happening a lot in Cornwall.

I love Cornwall and have toyed with moving to be nearer family and friends but just can’t bring myself to do it. OK if you live on Restronguet Point, but for that sort of money there are many options elsewhere which offer so much more in my view. I’m sure you’ll enjoy it though, it’s lovely if you can avoid the crowds and associated traffic.

From what I have seen, yer typical Dr will find it hard to live in Feock!
Lottery winners and self-made sold-up retired business persons only.
But you are right in general - Truro is extremely busy always now - it is a pinch point for all traffic going anywhere it seems. Nice when you get in mind. I

too, wonder where all the people will work. Other towns not far away - Redruth, Camborne and others have a large proportion of very high deprivation.

My Niece and her fiance both live in Cornwall. Lucky whotsits. But to live in a coastal village on 2 salaries (Teacher (part time, ex Physio) and qualified Nurse / Physio who works two jobs - full time main and odd shifts to top up, they live in a tiny tiny modern box with two young children. Admittedly they can walk to the surf beach. Overall so far as I can see they have very full and wonderful lives, living on a sixpence.

But you are right in general - Truro is extremely busy always now - it is a pinch point for all traffic going anywhere it seems. Nice when you get in mind. I

too, wonder where all the people will work. Other towns not far away - Redruth, Camborne and others have a large proportion of very high deprivation.

My Niece and her fiance both live in Cornwall. Lucky whotsits. But to live in a coastal village on 2 salaries (Teacher (part time, ex Physio) and qualified Nurse / Physio who works two jobs - full time main and odd shifts to top up, they live in a tiny tiny modern box with two young children. Admittedly they can walk to the surf beach. Overall so far as I can see they have very full and wonderful lives, living on a sixpence.

Yep, most folk seem to find a way to struggle by, in what is essentially an extremely poor area. My sister used to teach and was shocked to find kids who had never been to the coast!

Back on topic, some nice places have been mentioned. Others I like are Much Wenlock, Church Stretton, Henley On Thames.

Yep, most folk seem to find a way to struggle by, in what is essentially an extremely poor area. My sister used to teach and was shocked to find kids who had never been to the coast!
That's the poor for you. I know of people in Grimsby who have never been as far as Cleethorpes beach. You can walk there from most parts of town in half an hour.
Got a place there which I’ll probably retire to when rural living becomes too much like hard work!
Good call. My folks recently moved from a house with a big garden in the country to a smaller place in a village near York. They love it. I suspect that in years to come they may move again into suburban York itself so that they are less reliant on a car.

when we walked the thames from source to barrier and stayed there we thought most of the locals we met were obnoxious idiots

That's the poor for you. I know of people in Grimsby who have never been as far as Cleethorpes beach. You can walk there from most parts of town in half an hour.

Good call. My folks recently moved from a house with a big garden in the country to a smaller place in a village near York. They love it. I suspect that in years to come they may move again into suburban York itself so that they are less reliant on a car.

that's probably by choice.. :)

Indeed, sounds a good move. Makes me laugh how people dream of retiring to the sticks. It’s a place to live and enjoy whilst you are physically able. Later in life you want decent facilities on the doorstep and no garden maintenance!

It's swings and roundabouts. More people bring more jobs and more money.
Jobs and salaries are catching up. Cornwall at the moment has a bit of a skills shortage and companies are now being forced to pay better salaries.

Overpriced.

Any visitor to Keswick who doesn't visit the Dog and Gun is missing a trick. Not having their legendary goulash while you're there is a sin.

It’s a cracking pub for beer, for sure. Unfortunately when we were there a few weeks back our food was pretty awful to be honest (Sunday lunch). Maybe we were just unlucky. However, we did have 2 very good pub meals in the Wainwright round the corner. There really are some great pubs there with equally great beer.

The D&G has been one of the popular food pubs for 25 years to my knowledge, the thing is that these things move on and nowhere is consistently excellent for 25 years. I remember stopping in a campsite near Threlkeld and eating in one of the pubs in the village in about 1990, the food and beer were fantastic. I went back there some 5 or 6 years ago and had a very acceptable but unremarkable meal. Even if they haven't changed in the intervening 20 years I know I have, and memories are unreliable things.

I'll see your Hartlepool and raise you a Billingham. I've visited one of the factories there, a more desolate place I have yet to visit.

My sister lives in Cornwall and after being there a year is not impressed , some very nice small towns and villages but these become stacked out in the summer with nowhere to park .The roads are awful in summer an as others have mentioned many bottlenecks all year round , bus service awful as well .
She found it hard to find a job and had to accept low pay , it is mostly a poor area . Not enough Doctors and dentists or schools for the number of houses they are building , transport links poor and it rains more than people think . She is thinking of leaving !

advertisement

Back