advertisement

The PFM 'Printing' thread

Ok - getting pretty cheesed off with the Pro-1000 now. Second time this month that I've had to perform a print head clean due to a blocked nozzle (matte black both times). I've only left it about a week and a half between prints. I used to leave my Epson P600 for longer and it only required print head cleaning a handful of times in the 2.5 years I owned it. Starting to wish I'd got the Epson P800 now.... /rant over

Lefty

I used my old Epson Pro3800 for the first time in more months than I can recall the other day, definitely since before last Christmas. It was buried under papers and dust, and I was horrified to find that it was switched on. I put a job through it, it ran a quick cleaning cycle, and after a couple of misfeeds, it printed faultlessly.

Its been a printing day! (X-T2-XF16mm, Fotospeed A3 Platinum Cotton, Can Pro-1000)

iuCvp5ih.jpg

@Mr Perceptive - fantastic on both counts :) Are you still using the generic profiles out of interest, or did you get custom ones made up?

I used my old Epson Pro3800 for the first time in more months than I can recall the other day, definitely since before last Christmas. It was buried under papers and dust, and I was horrified to find that it was switched on. I put a job through it, it ran a quick cleaning cycle, and after a couple of misfeeds, it printed faultlessly.

That mirrors the experience I had with my Epson P600.

I've logged the fault with Canon and they've been very helpful and have acknowledged that what I'm experiencing points to a defect with the unit. They are coming over on 9th August and I'm hoping they'll just give me a new Pro-1000. I'll update this thread with the outcome.

Lefty

Ah yes of course - the results speak for themselves. Excellent.

Just hope I can get my Pro-1000 sorted soon. Out of interest, how often would you say you print? Just to get a gauge of others' use.

Lefty

Not enough!! I apprehensively switched it on yesterday, having been off for 4 weeks while I sorted my home office out. I was expecting it to go through a massive maintenance cycle, fill up the maintenance tank (which was at 80%) and empty all the inks (which are all less than 20%), but no, it just did a little cycle and then printed fine! All the inks except Cyan and PC are currently showing warnings!

I aim to print one image a week, but I'm working on some projects which will hopefully increase it. I know the Pro-1000 is expensive to run, but I didn't buy it as an ornament. I have no cravings for any camera hardware upgrades (well I do but all solutions cost in excess of 5K at the moment!!) so I'm happy to stick with the X-T2. I have plenty of paper so apart from buying some more ink, I'm pretty much sorted for the next few months. Though no doubt I'll invest in more paper at Fotofest!!

Hope your Pro-1000 gets sorted out soon.

Not enough!! I apprehensively switched it on yesterday, having been off for 4 weeks while I sorted my home office out. I was expecting it to go through a massive maintenance cycle, fill up the maintenance tank (which was at 80%) and empty all the inks (which are all less than 20%), but no, it just did a little cycle and then printed fine! All the inks except Cyan and PC are currently showing warnings!

I aim to print one image a week, but I'm working on some projects which will hopefully increase it. I know the Pro-1000 is expensive to run, but I didn't buy it as an ornament. I have no cravings for any camera hardware upgrades (well I do but all solutions cost in excess of 5K at the moment!!) so I'm happy to stick with the X-T2. I have plenty of paper so apart from buying some more ink, I'm pretty much sorted for the next few months. Though no doubt I'll invest in more paper at Fotofest!!

Hope your Pro-1000 gets sorted out soon.

Interesting - clearly my printing frequency isn't the problem then. (As the longest I have left the printer is around 9 days and I print 1-2 images per week on average). Sounds like I've got a duff unit. Due to the frequency of forced cleanings my printer goes through trying to unclog the blocked nozzle, I've already got warnings showing on my second set of full carts which were installed back in March! Here's hoping Canon do the right thing and replace it.

Latest print and an update on my Pro-1000. I had a visit from Canon last Friday and they agreed it would be uneconomical to repair. The net result is I have a new brand new Canon Pro-1000 in the house. In the intervening time, the old unit one has started working again (after draining a gargantuan amount of ink!) The thinking all round is that it's only a matter of time before it packs up again. So before I pack it up and send it back, I thought I would do one last 'farewell' print. Here it is:

48561069221_4cc6b2d0f6_b.jpg

A3 Fotospeed Matt Ultra 240 / Canon Pro-1000

Lefty

Last edited:
My Epson Stylus Pro 3800 developed a fault code today, 1224, which is something to do with the paper feed and which I have cured before, but I couldn't find the references that I used, so lacking time I dragged my spare out of the cupboard. This is another 3800 which I bought a coupleof years ago from a chap who said that he had bought it new but had hardly ever used it. It had spend about a decade sitting in a garage, and has been bundled under the table since I bought it, gathering dust.

I didn't have high expectations, and after spending an hour trying to get it to communicate with my PC I was close to giving up, but I realised my simple setup error, ran a test print, and after a cleaning cycle or two it was fine, its been printing all day. These are either its original or second set of inks as the counter only shows 134 sheets printed. They are probably nearly 20 years old.

My Epson Stylus Pro 3800 developed a fault code today, 1224, which is something to do with the paper feed and which I have cured before, but I couldn't find the references that I used, so lacking time I dragged my spare out of the cupboard. This is another 3800 which I bought a coupleof years ago from a chap who said that he had bought it new but had hardly ever used it. It had spend about a decade sitting in a garage, and has been bundled under the table since I bought it, gathering dust.

I didn't have high expectations, and after spending an hour trying to get it to communicate with my PC I was close to giving up, but I realised my simple setup error, ran a test print, and after a cleaning cycle or two it was fine, its been printing all day. These are either its original or second set of inks as the counter only shows 134 sheets printed. They are probably nearly 20 years old.

That's pretty impressive and matches my experience with Epson printers. I loved my P600. Only downside is the fact you have to sacrifice some black ink everytime you swap from gloss to matt and vice versa. If it weren't for that, I'd have got an Epson P800 instead of the Canon Pro-1000.

In related news, I've got my second Pro-1000 up and running now. Just in the process of getting the profiles made and then I'll be cooking with gas :)

Lefty

Latest print - decided to go posh and print it on some fancy paper :)

48773440073_d599571fc3_b.jpg

A3 Fotospeed Platinum Etching 285 / Canon Pro-1000

Last edited:
Just bought a Canon Selphy CP1300, as a way of making quick little prints, I have some projects in mind, where I could do with a wall of prints before ordering them (that is putting them in order, not ordering massive quantities!!), its a neat little thing, and I've been impressed so far, obviously it doesn't match up to my Pro-1000, but as a method of getting a quick small print, its a neat solution. Its small enough to take away on holiday as well.

advertisement

Back