advertisement

The PFM 'Printing' thread

After taking Toby's @eternumviti advice in the general PFM photo thread, I've lighten the op of the sky a touch and printed it.

Fotospeed A3 Platinum Baryta 300 - Canon Pro-1000 - Fuji X100F

kshUVSzh.jpg

I found just the same thing, I used to apply lots of burn-in to the upper skies for example, but more gentle now. The results are much more filmlike.

One thing that I always do in pp is to apply some scanned/digital film grain. It doesn't need to be much, indeed can be almost imperceptible (it anyway shows less in the print than it does on the screen), but it always has the effect of dramatically 'dedigilatising' the photo, and brings it immediately to life. It has a particularly galvanising effect on shots taken with small phone sensors, immediately removes that plasticky digital look.

I finally did it - got a friend with a Canon Pro-2000 to print me a 16" x 48" print of my Snowdonia panorama. Picked it up from the framers today and hung it in my dining room :)

It's printed on Fotospeed NST BW 315

For size comparison, the other image you see is a 12" x 17.5" print!

(apologies for the crappy picture quality - taken under artificial lighting)

33991307808_6bcd10ef68_c.jpg

Lefty

Last one of this image and then I promise I'll stop!

I decided to mount and frame this one and went for a double mount to give it some added 'pop'. Pretty pleased with the result :)

Here it is just with the mount, ready to pop into the frame

48128232592_cdbfc85d3f_b.jpg

Lefty

Nice prints @Lefty

Just re-organising my home office, now got a new permanent worktop for the Canon Pro-1000 (with my normal colour laser printer underneath!), new desk coming on Monday, and a large Magnetic Glass Board in grey has been ordered, both to act as a white board and to temporarily display prints (extra strong magnets also ordered!).

Only worrying thing, is that last time I powered up the Pro-1000 after moving it, it went through a massive cleaning cycle, and said Maintenance tank is 80% full, and a load of ink is getting low, dreading powering it up again....... (normally I leave it on as generally recommended, but to move it the power has to come off!)

Nice prints @Lefty

Just re-organising my home office, now got a new permanent worktop for the Canon Pro-1000 (with my normal colour laser printer underneath!), new desk coming on Monday, and a large Magnetic Glass Board in grey has been ordered, both to act as a white board and to temporarily display prints (extra strong magnets also ordered!).

Only worrying thing, is that last time I powered up the Pro-1000 after moving it, it went through a massive cleaning cycle, and said Maintenance tank is 80% full, and a load of ink is getting low, dreading powering it up again....... (normally I leave it on as generally recommended, but to move it the power has to come off!)

The new setup sounds great - I need something like that. Especially the print display solution!

Yes, unfortunately the Pro-1000 is a bit of a beast when it comes to ink usage and forced cleaning cycles. As you say, leaving it on all the time does help to alleviate this but I've found it still has a mind of it's own at times. Don't worry about the ink low warnings. You can still print for ages until they really run low (you'll get a second message saying something like 'the ink may have run out' at which point you will need to change).

I got a blocked nozzle the other day so had to run a clean. Didn't use too much ink but still a bit annoying (and I try to print pretty regularly). I think I've just accepted it is an expensive machine to run. (Unfortunately)

I try and print something everyday to stop the cleaning cycles. Usually one of the templates on to plain paper. Or a delivery document for one of my customers.

Ok - getting pretty cheesed off with the Pro-1000 now. Second time this month that I've had to perform a print head clean due to a blocked nozzle (matte black both times). I've only left it about a week and a half between prints. I used to leave my Epson P600 for longer and it only required print head cleaning a handful of times in the 2.5 years I owned it. Starting to wish I'd got the Epson P800 now.... /rant over

Lefty

The owner of my regular camera store is retiring on Sunday, the shop is then becoming part of the Wilkinson's chain. Over the last few years I've run a number of workshops for them, so I thought I'd print an image from 2017 as a retirement present for him. He can hang it in his villa in Portugal!!! (taken in Miniature Mode on X100F, printed FS A3 Platinum Cotton)

Xjq8Zfq.jpg

advertisement

Back