advertisement

The pfm Lego Investment Challenge

I've managed to pick up a used Chiron in mint box with everything including things like the special card that came with it as well as a perspex display case all in for £150. As I usually buy to build, I'm happy with that.

Seller's pics:

j0s11KWl.png

IUW9ouxl.png

BOxkAFXl.png

I think even used it'll hold its value pretty well and I doubt I'll lose anything on it in future if I decide to sell up.

I've just uploaded just under half of my MISB collection into http://www.brickeconomy.com/ and it looks like they have doubled in value based on their original retail prices. Given than I had bought many of these sets at a discount, I expect the gains are higher. That said, the first 50 sets I uploaded are also the oldest retired sets. In any case, they are appreciating at a similar rate to bricks and mortar!

I've just uploaded just under half of my MISB collection into http://www.brickeconomy.com/ and it looks like they have doubled in value based on their original retail prices. Given than I had bought many of these sets at a discount, I expect the gains are higher. That said, the first 50 sets I uploaded are also the oldest retired sets. In any case, they are appreciating at a similar rate to bricks and mortar!
Did mine:

Retail value: £7,636.39
Paid price: £6,464.80
Current value: £8,117.12 (+25.56%)

However, I buy to build and many of my big sets are still unopened; the figure above will drop as I open and build them.

I don't have space to do this but I reckon if anyone wants to see a decent return then the Ferrari Daytona SP3 is a decent bet in the long term. Currently £300 at Zavvi or £280 at Costco if you have an account there, it's just seen an RRP increase from £350 to £390.

If you buy now at £100+ under RRP and sit on it for a while I reckon you'd struggle NOT to make money on it down the line; branded sets such as Ferrari, Porsche etc seem to do well in the longer term - eg. the Creator Expert Ferrari F40 which was RRP £75 is now around £250 for a MNIB and the Porsche GT3 which was £260 RRP are now going for £600-700 MNIB on eBay at the moment. I reckon the Daytona SP3 might do similar once it's retired.

The cheaper car ones do well too. I’ve got the Ferrari truck and McLaren Pitstop in the Speed Champions series and they’ve doubled/trebled.

The cheaper car ones do well too. I’ve got the Ferrari truck and McLaren Pitstop in the Speed Champions series and they’ve doubled/trebled.
The Speed Champions are the fastest growth theme in my collection.

I have lost track of what I have now. I do know there's a BNIB Death Star in the loft, bought for £399; cheapest I have found recently is £749 on eBay, and others upwards of £1k.

The Speed Champions are the fastest growth theme in my collection.

Downside is it's doubling of a smaller starting figure so in cash terms not as lucrative, upside is they're a doddle to store being so much smaller (and you can have multiples more easily)! :)

Downside is it's doubling of a smaller starting figure so in cash terms not as lucrative, upside is they're a doddle to store being so much smaller (and you can have multiples more easily)! :)

Agreed. I’ve so far shied away from the really expensive sets as it is a lot of money in they do tank (e.g. my 76052 Batman TV series set is certainly my worst performer and would have done nothing had I not bought it quite heavily discounted).

Due to space constraints I am reducing what I buy and largely limiting to stuff I personally really like. I’m not a huge fan of the Technic sports cars etc, I think they largely fail to get the form right, so I’ve stayed clear so far even though they are clearly really good investments. I’m over-invested in Star Wars as I have no interest in it, though the stuff I have has done well. From now on I’m sticking to stuff I think is amazing. The one upcoming set that is very tempting is the Super Mario Bowser. Expensive, but really cool and I suspect it will be a solid investment. If I see that with a good discount I’ll maybe take a punt. Another thing I’ve decided to do, arguably too late, is when ordering from Lego.com to always keep the outer shipping box so I’ve got the ability to ship without extra expense. My Lego mountain has a lot of sets in the big boxes, so I’d need to buy packing when it comes to sell time which obviously eats into margins.

PS The BMW motorbike is pretty cool!

Agreed. I’ve so far shied away from the really expensive sets as it is a lot of money in they do tank (e.g. my 76052 Batman TV series set is certainly my worst performer and would have done nothing had I not bought it quite heavily discounted).

Due to space constraints I am reducing what I buy and largely limiting to stuff I personally really like. I’m not a huge fan of the Technic sports cars etc, I think they largely fail to get the form right, so I’ve stayed clear so far even though they are clearly really good investments. I’m over-invested in Star Wars as I have no interest in it, though the stuff I have has done well. From now on I’m sticking to stuff I think is amazing. The one upcoming set that is very tempting is the Super Mario Bowser. Expensive, but really cool and I suspect it will be a solid investment. If I see that with a good discount I’ll maybe take a punt. Another thing I’ve decided to do, arguably too late, is when ordering from Lego.com to always keep the outer shipping box so I’ve got the ability to ship without extra expense. My Lego mountain has a lot of sets in the big boxes, so I’d need to buy packing when it comes to sell time which obviously eats into margins.

You're right, I think things like the Nintendo stuff will have a good ROI in future, I suspect the Super Mario 64 Question Mark might also do well too.

Re. the outers, keeping them double-boxed in the original outer can actually boost the value. I've left my UCS kits in those for now in case I don't get to building and they rocket in value (although I really do intend to build them!).

And yes, the BMW bike looks fab - it's in the collection already!

I’m really tempted by the Mario Nintendo Entertainment System too, which looks to be ending life pretty soon. Being a total computer nerd I should really invest in that one before it vanishes.

Oh don't tempt me; I'd been thinking that too... :D

Also really like the look of the new Lighthouse which launched today - that's one of the recent Lego Ideas winners.

I don't have space to do this but I reckon if anyone wants to see a decent return then the Ferrari Daytona SP3 is a decent bet in the long term. Currently £300 at Zavvi or £280 at Costco if you have an account there, it's just seen an RRP increase from £350 to £390.

If you buy now at £100+ under RRP and sit on it for a while I reckon you'd struggle NOT to make money on it down the line; branded sets such as Ferrari, Porsche etc seem to do well in the longer term - eg. the Creator Expert Ferrari F40 which was RRP £75 is now around £250 for a MNIB and the Porsche GT3 which was £260 RRP are now going for £600-700 MNIB on eBay at the moment. I reckon the Daytona SP3 might do similar once it's retired.
That’s the one I linked a couple of days back. Looks like it’s gone now at Zavvi.

Considerably cheaper from amazon...BMW motorbike

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.

advertisement

Back