advertisement

The pfm Lego Investment Challenge

Oh don't tempt me; I'd been thinking that too... :D

Also really like the look of the new Lighthouse which launched today - that's one of the recent Lego Ideas winners.

I’m meant to be done, but keep getting tempted. Loving the Lighthouse, but holding out…

Surely most of the fun of Lego was you can make anything from some 'generic' bricks? Custom shapes and instructions makes it all a bit too easy?

Lego_Ferrari_F40_1651638057020_1651638062484.jpg

Surely most of the fun of Lego was you can make anything from some 'generic' bricks?

That’s exactly what I enjoyed so much as a kid. I had loads of bricks and the blue motor and battery pack. I don’t think I ever had any ‘sets’ at all, just a ton of bricks. I think the modern sets are interesting as there are now so many unconventional build techniques that no one knew back in the 70s, but the proper fun for kids is in the free-form stuff I’m sure. Think it, build it. The sets are for investment flippers like me now!

Considerably cheaper from amazon...BMW motorbike
Indeed - the BMW bike was one of the ones that got slapped with a price hike on the Lego site as of today - I guess some of the other sites haven't applied it yet!
I managed to get mine on a blinder of a deal @ £118.99 back in June.

I’m meant to be done, but keep getting tempted. Loving the Lighthouse, but holding out…

Welcome to the slippery slope. It's how I've spent c.£7k on Lego since the March 2020 lockdown..! :D

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
Surely most of the fun of Lego was you can make anything from some 'generic' bricks? Custom shapes and instructions makes it all a bit too easy?

Lego_Ferrari_F40_1651638057020_1651638062484.jpg

You can only do accuracy at very large scale with standard bricks, and even the above has bespoke wheels/tyres as a minimum.

That said, I agree with Tony that the cars are generally not that great (with some exceptions) even in the sets. The motorbikes fair better.

That said, I agree with Tony that the cars are generally not that great (with some exceptions) even in the sets.

There are unquestionably good sets and bad sets IMO. Some stuff just captures the item perfectly e.g. Saturn V, Yellow Submarine, Wall.E, Vespa etc. Some just looks really wrong to me. From now on I’m only interested in the former. I need to like it even though I’m only buying to flip. I think this impacts value too, e.g. the Batcave set I mentioned above that is a bit of a fail investment wise is a pretty clunky and disjointed looking set.

Who said all the magic of our childhood has vanished? :)

It hasn’t! Lego was the best childhood toy I ever had. I’m sure it is partly responsible for developing a natural ability and affinity with pretty much everything I ended up doing. Being able to visualise and build is half the mindset to say be able to build a bicycle, service a TD-124, even electronics (very much still learning) and computer programming. It’s all the same mindset somehow and I certainly didn’t get wherever I got to through school! Lego got me thinking in three-dimensional space. I’ve always been good at this stuff despite being hopeless in other academic areas and I suspect Lego was a key aspect in finding that trajectory. That they seem such a great company too makes the AFOL thing a real pleasure too.

It hasn’t! Lego was the best childhood toy I ever had. I’m sure it is partly responsible for developing a natural ability and affinity with pretty much everything I ended up doing. Being able to visualise and build is half the mindset to say be able to build a bicycle, service a TD-124, even electronics (very much still learning) and computer programming. It’s all the same mindset somehow and I certainly didn’t get wherever I got to through school! Lego got me thinking in three-dimensional space. I’ve always been good at this stuff despite being hopeless in other academic areas and I suspect Lego was a key aspect in finding that trajectory. That they seem such a great company too makes the AFOL thing a real pleasure too.

I agree it was a useful learning tool for me as a kid.

However, the fact that Lego appears to be be more about an investment commodity than a toy and even as a toy is less about building what's in your imagination, just seems, well, wrong.

Lego has become ridiculously expensive recently, which will eat into future ROI. I have a feel for what's worth the money and what's not - investment potential notwithstanding. For example, the Saturn V rocket is a bargain at full retail price, and so is the Titanic, actually. I've pretty much the same mindset as @TonyL. Now, I'll buy only the sets that I like. That way, if their future value falls through the floor, I can break them open and enjoy the build ... assuming my visual acuity and digital dexterity don't let me down.

I have visions of building a Lego Town, now that I've amassed a dozen modular buildings, three of the fairground sets (rollercoaster, carousel & ferris wheel) and plenty of Speed Champions cars.

However, the fact that Lego appears to be be more about an investment commodity than a toy and even as a toy is less about building what's in your imagination, just seems, well, wrong.

I know what you mean, but I’d counter that with the fact Lego seem a nice ethical company and conventional investments (ISAs etc) are just a total cluster* at present before one even factors in spiralling inflation. The only stuff that is keeping ahead of the curve is my record collection (likely worth more than my house) and a few £k of Lego, everything else is red according to Apple Stocks!

PS Pretty much set on buying the Mario NES now, likely Mighty Bowser too. May as well park some more £s somewhere safe rather than just watch it fall further through the floor in the bank/building society.

Couldn't agree more...though meccano needs a mention too..

One of the most fun bits was the Lego bomb. Wrap an elastic band around 4 or 5 bricks laid end to end, and place carefully above the sister's door....so when the door opens it falls to the ground and... KABOOM!!

Oops! On US site by mistake and seeing $ price! :oops:
Easily done!

Lego has become ridiculously expensive recently, which will eat into future ROI. I have a feel for what's worth the money and what's not - investment potential notwithstanding. For example, the Saturn V rocket is a bargain at full retail price, and so is the Titanic, actually. I've pretty much the same mindset as @TonyL. Now, I'll buy only the sets that I like. That way, if their future value falls through the floor, I can break them open and enjoy the build ... assuming my visual acuity and digital dexterity don't let me down.

I have visions of building a Lego Town, now that I've amassed a dozen modular buildings, three of the fairground sets (rollercoaster, carousel & ferris wheel) and plenty of Speed Champions cars.
I also only buy kits I like; I shouldn't really be here as I'm not really a Lego 'investor' but it's the only Lego thread here so here I am..! :)

I still love the fun of it. With thoughts of a move I've not built anything for quite a while - I'm trying to de-clutter the look of the place, not add to it! - but I might pack up the Lunar Lander and a pop the Hubble on its stand atop the Shuttle (it's on its own stand at the mo) which I think will make enough room for the Grand Piano. That will make a fantastic display piece. Will muck up the 'space theme' though! :D

az8p66Hl.png

I know what you mean, but I’d counter that with the fact Lego seem a nice ethical company and conventional investments (ISAs etc) are just a total cluster* at present before one even factors in spiralling inflation. The only stuff that is keeping ahead of the curve is my record collection (likely worth more than my house) and a few £k of Lego, everything else is red according to Apple Stocks!

I fear that a lot of this stuff is appreciating while our generation is around and relatively affluent. The next generation are likely to care less for it. Of course, once your dead, it doesn't matter.

advertisement

Back