advertisement

The pfm Lego Investment Challenge

I use Costco for some work items. They've sent an email today advertising the new Lego Technics Ferrari Daytona SP3 for £299.98, in store or by mail order. I'm not a collector so have no idea if this is a good offer?

Cheers BB

I just discovered that you can identify a set's name and number by looking up any of its parts numbers and then going through the results till you see the set in question. My mum bought me a cherry picker set back in 2015 but I had no idea what it was called or what the set number was until a few minutes ago. I used a loupe to find the part number on one of the cogs and then once I ran a search for it on www.bricklink.com, sure enough, the set appeared in the list of results. Thankfully it came up within the first 50 results so I didn't have to search through thousands of hits in order to find it. If I need to do this again I'll probably try a few different parts to find the most unique part from it as that cog had over 3,000 hits - I thought it said 300+ lol

Anyway, it's a handy thing to know, and here's the cherry picker in question. Fwiw, my mum bought it for me as a funny Christmas present back in 2015... little did she know it would spark my interest in plastic bricks and stuff all over again.

42031-1.jpg

Fwiw, I've decided to make a record of what I've got in my collection, hence why I needed to find out the name and number of this particular set as the box and building instructions are long gone.

Fwiw, I've decided to make a record of what I've got in my collection, hence why I needed to find out the name and number of this particular set as the box and building instructions are long gone.

If you know the set number you can download the instructions as a pdf from the Lego site.

I use Costco for some work items. They've sent an email today advertising the new Lego Technics Ferrari Daytona SP3 for £299.98, in store or by mail order. I'm not a collector so have no idea if this is a good offer?

Cheers BB
That Ferrari generally hasn't been particularly well-received to be honest. I love most of the Lego cars and have most of the Creators and other vehicle-related Technics but the Daytona SP3 isn't one I've added to the collection, not would I be likely to...

For similar money I'd get the Chiron or Sian. Probably the Chiron.

Ultimately though, buy what you like. If you don't enjoy it as a build or model once done, sell it on. You're unlikely to take much of a loss on it.

I'm still contemplating the SP3 for my collection, but not at full price. It should complement my Porsche GT3, Bugatti Chiron and Lambo Sian sets in MISB condition. Does anyone know if the SP3 box is identically sized to the preceding three super cars?

The Fiat build about 2/3s through.

Spent some time reversing the build and pattern to make it right hand drive

20220814-162644.jpg

52321727323_2236926bed_b.jpg

Here’s my issue with investing in Lego! It really takes some storage space!

The investment aspect is doing very well indeed. I’ve just entered everything into www.brickeconomy.com (which was linked on another thread earlier) and using my own buy-in figures which factor discounts, vouchers, VIP points etc I have £1816.78 invested and Brick Economy gives a current value of £4092.69. This is only new sealed stuff, I haven’t counted my few built sets in this figure. As a percentage it has totally killed my various stock ISAs etc which are now losing me money year on year due to the crazy inflation at present. To do this right you’d need a heck of a lot of space!

PS Don’t worry about the records and radiator, it is never used as it is a bedroom and heat from the room below does all that is needed!

52321727323_2236926bed_b.jpg

Here’s my issue with investing in Lego! It really takes some storage space!

The investment aspect is doing very well indeed. I’ve just entered everything into www.brickeconomy.com (which was linked on another thread earlier) and using my own buy-in figures which factor discounts, vouchers, VIP points etc I have £1816.78 invested and Brick Economy gives a current value of £4092.69. This is only new sealed stuff, I haven’t counted my few built sets in this figure. As a percentage it has totally killed my various stock ISAs etc which are now losing me money year on year due to the crazy inflation at present. To do this right you’d need a heck of a lot of space!

PS Don’t worry about the records and radiator, it is never used as it is a bedroom and heat from the room below does all that is needed!

The Scientist - The Bee!

advertisement

Back