advertisement

The pfm Lego Investment Challenge

Really odd that they dumped the packaging, that would kill any resale value pretty much stone dead. Lego sets are complete kits these days and that is certainly where the collector market lies. I wonder if they feared they were tagged? Just seems totally bizarre as fewer sealed boxed sets would be worth *way* more than a lot more random bricks.
It'll be interesting to see how they keep the bags together as a set out of the box, especially when they have hundreds of sets.

Here is another amazon typo. For ages 144 years and up. :D

Space Shuttle

Quite like the look of it but seems a bit steep at £995.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
Don't think that price is a typo. That set was discontinued in 1998. A MISB set would fetch big bucks, but perhaps not quite £995.

Thanks James.

I’ve followed this thread but I’ve always thought if I buy something I will just build it. Perhaps there is room for a Lego build thread.

No, not the ones in storage. These are my investment sets. I have a few sets where I bought duplicates; one for investing and the other for building. e.g.

42098: Car Transporter
42110: Land Rover Defender
10271: Fiat 500
10266: NASA Apollo 11 Lunar Lander
21309: NASA Apollo Saturn V
What are your thoughts on the Land Rover as a build?

Harley Davidson is due for retirement. Just bought me one , even though they spelt Milwaukee as Milwauke on the stickers.

What are your thoughts on the Land Rover as a build?
Fantastic.

The most realistic aspect, in my opinion, is the way the suspension is tuned. There's actually some sag under its weight, and the Landy rolling over undulating surfaces feels remarkably supple.

Fantastic.

The most realistic aspect, in my opinion, is the way the suspension is tuned. There's actually some sag under its weight, and the Landy rolling over undulating surfaces feels remarkably supple.

Seconded, it's great.

@Brian - Smyths Toys have 40 quid knocked off RRP at the moment.

Just had a look at a few sold eBay listings for some of mine and many are doing very well! I’ve got £1.6k invested and I’ve not done the math, but some items have more than doubled now. The best individual item I’ve spotted so far is the Wall-E which have gone from £39 buy price to £160 or so now (I’ve got two). The Star Wars UCS Slave 1 and Creator Series Brick Bank are doing really well too each looking to be £150 or more over what I paid. I think I’m now at the stage where nothing is actually worth less aside from the 76052 Batman Classic Series which was expensive and doesn’t seem popular, I think I’m £50 or so down there.

By saying that this is just looking at eBay sold prices, that doesn’t factor fees or being ripped-off by scammers etc. It would only take a couple of very bad sales to wipe out much of the profit. No idea if there are better markets to sell in. I would rather like to move some stuff as it occupies so much space, there is a huge mountain of brown cardboard boxes stacked-up in the middle of my bedroom! That’s the thing I didn’t really think through when buying-in!

With very few exceptions, I tend to buy the sets that I actually like to build - even if I exercise restraint not to. So if the bottom falls off the secondary market like tulips did in another lifetime, I still have sets that I could build. Except I don't know which takes up more space, the box or the built set.

we only build - latest in progress

20211228-221155.jpg

is this the kind of set that might escalate in value

I bloody hope so. It'll hopefully be retired / discontinued towards the end of next year , thus increasing it's value , even used. But it's a popular set and may end up like the original VW Camper that stayed in production for around 6 years iirc.

Fun set to build in the meantime though.

I’m very pleased with the majority of purchases, including a number of double purchases:
Parisian Restaurant
UCS TIE Fighter
Caterham Seven
UCS Slave I
Death Star™
Death Star™ Final Duel
Dr Who
Yellow submarine
Wall-E
these are all showing a very good profit. Indeed many are 2-3x purchase price. I’ve sold a few on eBay with £1 max selling fee.
I’ve a number are just above what I paid and not listed eg Disney Castle. However, I’m in for a few years.
Just purchased two Porsche 911 kits.

advertisement

Back