advertisement

The pfm Lego Investment Challenge

Late to the party as ever, but I have just discovered the Lego Design Studio software and the Bricklink online trading site.

Oh dear, this could become a sink for my retirement fund!

I wonder if the Addidas trainer is worth an investment punt? Trainers can be crazy collectable apparently.
I'm afraid I have ten pairs. But I wear them. Once you have all the current ones available from the store it can get crazy. I've paid 130 for a pair that were 80 when available from adidas, but of the designs I like asking prices of 250 for special editions seem quite normal, if not that common.

The ones I like are suede Sambas, Gazelles, Munchen, Wien, Hamburg, Speziale, Stadt, Torino. They do limited runs on all of them and just different textured stripes or a different city name can have me reaching for my credit card.

I have just discovered the Lego Design Studio software and the Bricklink online trading site.
It's a bottomless pit of endless frustration and expense that's for sure. I'm embarrassed to admit how much I spent doing this ....

Ot1yEjW.jpg

23ziEDF.jpg

moTwNYA.jpg

That’s impressive, you should submit it for Ideas IMO (you can do this via the Lego site membership).

Ah yeah but. I't's not my design as such. It's an adaptation from a guy called Dave Slater. His Corvette Stingray was actually submitted and did make the 10,000 votes required a few years ago (within a very short time space) but it had a few too many "illegal" build techniques (according to Lego) and didn't make it into production.

I wanted to build a convertible (little red corvette) so I adapted his basic design and took it from there. The chrome parts are stupidly expensive but hey.

I just saw this Lego Koenigsegg (76900) in my local Morrisons and it has to be said, it's a very nice piece of Lego indeed. If and when it drops to £13 or so - as many of the Speed Champions cars seem to do every now and again - I'm buying one for sure. Plus, there doesn't seem to be that many stickers with this set so that's a bonus.

76900_alt1.jpg

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
Currently building this Lego Jeep Wranger and I think it's safe to say it's my first challenging build. Other builds have taken time as it can become tedious - especially when you have lots of stickers to apply - but this is taking a while because there are a lot of pieces to assemble. That said, I like the way it's taking shape so I'm looking forward to having a rugged Jeep... eventually :)

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
I popped into town earlier on to buy myself a Lego Tuk Tuk and I've just built it. It's pure cool as anything and if you've ever been to India and been 'whizzed' around in one, well no doubt you'll have even more reasons to buy one as riding a tuk tuk is an experience and a half... depending on the driver :)

It's only £8.99 here @ Lego so it's as cheap as chips. You can buy it here @ Amazon as well, but it's currently around £15 so if you can buy one at Lego you'll save some pennies.

51NkgJ0fpPS._AC_UL320_.jpg

Fwiw, while I was in the shop I had a look around and this Lego Typewriter looks great! But it's £180 and I'm not ready to part with £180 for some Lego just yet. £100 and I'm probably in.

I just saw this Lego Koenigsegg (76900) in my local Morrisons and it has to be said, it's a very nice piece of Lego indeed. If and when it drops to £13 or so - as many of the Speed Champions cars seem to do every now and again - I'm buying one for sure. Plus, there doesn't seem to be that many stickers with this set so that's a bonus.
I counted at least 20 stickers on mine

I counted at least 20 stickers on mine

That's okay if still a wee bit high, but nothing compared to the annoying amount of stickers in this Jaguar E-Sports set I built in January: 18 stickers on the Formula-E Jag, which isn't too bad by itself, but there were 47 on the off-road one - that's too many stickers!

I use fine tweezers to apply stickers, and find that getting it exactly into the right position a PITA and rewarding at the same time. One of the best sets for sticker-less bricks is the Saturn V rocket. A most magnificent set with a mere 1,969 pieces for a rather sharp price, even at full retail.

I popped into town earlier on to buy myself a Lego Tuk Tuk and I've just built it. It's pure cool as anything and if you've ever been to India and been 'whizzed' around in one, well no doubt you'll have even more reasons to buy one as riding a tuk tuk is an experience and a half... depending on the driver :)

It's only £8.99 here @ Lego so it's as cheap as chips. You can buy it here @ Amazon as well, but it's currently around £15 so if you can buy one at Lego you'll save some pennies.

Fwiw, while I was in the shop I had a look around and this Lego Typewriter looks great! But it's £180 and I'm not ready to part with £180 for some Lego just yet. £100 and I'm probably in.

Thanks for that, just ordered a tuk tuk each for myself and niece and nephews!

Stamp collectors tweezers work great placing Lego stickers. Flat spade with a cranked end especially so.

PS I don't collect stamps (well , not anymore anyways)

advertisement

Back