advertisement

The pfm Lego Investment Challenge

I love the circuit board inside the amp. Even I could be tempted to buy my first Lego since the kids grew up!

Yes, I think the amp is more successful than the guitar. It has a really nice attention to detail with the correct valve layout, send/return to the reverb tank, output to speaker, even the reverb/trem footswitch etc. The Strat’s a bit wonky, the lines just aren’t right (especially the trademark headstock!). A Tele would likely have been far easier as it flatter and more slab-like.

On the subject of Lego musical instruments, one day I really must get round to buying these.

mellomoog.jpg

...and I’ve just spotted the Lego Emerson, which made me laugh...

kemerson2.jpg

Ah yeah but. I't's not my design as such. It's an adaptation from a guy called Dave Slater. His Corvette Stingray was actually submitted and did make the 10,000 votes required a few years ago (within a very short time space) but it had a few too many "illegal" build techniques (according to Lego) and didn't make it into production.

I wanted to build a convertible (little red corvette) so I adapted his basic design and took it from there. The chrome parts are stupidly expensive but hey.
Forgive my naivety but what on earth is an 'illegal build technique'..!? o_O

Yeah. That corvette had some serious issues with the way the doors opened and the way the headlights popped up. It "did" work but you had to sort of improvise and adapt a bit to get it to do so.

Not the sort of thing you could expect in a production kit. Way too tricky.

PS - those washing machine doors that form the rear lights? They were white but I painted them red. That's really illegal.

Heads-up:

John Lewis currently have the UCS Star Destroyer at £519 (cheapest I've ever seen it) and the UCS Millennium Falcon for £552. I've ordered the Star Destroyer.

Last edited:
Really odd that they dumped the packaging, that would kill any resale value pretty much stone dead. Lego sets are complete kits these days and that is certainly where the collector market lies. I wonder if they feared they were tagged? Just seems totally bizarre as fewer sealed boxed sets would be worth *way* more than a lot more random bricks.

It's a typo. Should be 18 years to 8 decades. Very few 8 year olds will have the patience or knowledge to put that set together.

It's a typo. Should be 18 years to 8 decades. Very few 8 year olds will have the patience or knowledge to put that set together.
Yes, an 18 month old will struggle even more. I had a laugh when I saw it. :D

advertisement

Back