advertisement

The pfm Lego Investment Challenge

I have a long list of kits yet to build - I get the investment angle but I like building them too much! :D
Simple solution. Buy two.

Even when built, I find that desirable sets keep their value if you have the original box, printed manual and all the pieces.

Simple solution. Buy two.

Even when built, I find that desirable sets keep their value if you have the original box, printed manual and all the pieces.
Hah! Oh that I could buy two of each...! :D

Space is my enemy, also it seems that you have to have a decent bit of luck with which kits will increase in value. I have, however, carefully opened every box of every Lego I've bought and built with a scalpel so no rips or tears. The manuals are safely stored and if I ever do sell on any of mine I'll unbuild them back into the correct bag sequence too. I don't have the original bags though, they tear too easily!

Hah! Oh that I could buy two of each...! :D

Space is my enemy, also it seems that you have to have a decent bit of luck with which kits will increase in value. I have, however, carefully opened every box of every Lego I've bought and built with a scalpel so no rips or tears. The manuals are safely stored and if I ever do sell on any of mine I'll unbuild them back into the correct bag sequence too. I don't have the original bags though, they tear too easily!

At last, I’ve found someone who’s even more OCD than me! :D

I have, however, carefully opened every box of every Lego I've bought and built with a scalpel so no rips or tears. The manuals are safely stored and if I ever do sell on any of mine I'll unbuild them back into the correct bag sequence too.
Some boxes have perforated openings that you cannot avoid tearing if you want to get inside.

Some boxes have perforated openings that you cannot avoid tearing if you want to get inside.
None that I've encountered so far have but I suppose some could well have that...

I slice the glue along the end of the boxes with a long scalpel, leaving any perforated finger tabs intact. The boxes are then carefully flattened and stored.

At last, I’ve found someone who’s even more OCD than me! :D
I don't know why I do it, it's not like I plan to ever actually sell them..! :D

I think my little nephew would never talk to me again if I did; he's 3 and thinks Lego is the greatest thing in the world. Whenever he visits we have to take out every single one from the display and look at them...! :)

Last edited:
I slice the glue along the end of the boxes with a long scalpel, leaving any perforated finger tabs intact. The boxes are then carefully flattened and stored.
That's a great idea. I might just revisit the attic that is full of empty Lego boxes for flattening.

If anyone else managed to get the 'free' (well, 1800 VIP points) Ulysses Space Probe this morning you could have made a very tidy £150 today alone... Prices for these are insane on eBay at the moment, people are paying big money.

Mine is 'In Warehouse' and whilst I want it to go in my 'space corner' with the ISS, Saturn V, LL and Shuttle I can't help but think that flogging it straight away would buy me another set I'd really like instead.

Apparently I'm not very good at Lego investing/speculating! :D

If anyone else managed to get the 'free' (well, 1800 VIP points) Ulysses Space Probe this morning you could have made a very tidy £150 today alone... Prices for these are insane on eBay at the moment, people are paying big money.

Mine is 'In Warehouse' and whilst I want it to go in my 'space corner' with the ISS, Saturn V, LL and Shuttle I can't help but think that flogging it straight away would buy me another set I'd really like instead.

Apparently I'm not very good at Lego investing/speculating! :D
I didn’t know anything about it. I’ve 3500 but no idea how to use them!

My finger slipped today while browsing the Lego store....(several times, actually, coz I had to set up an account and then join the VIP programme), and the Shuttle is on its way. Double points as well :)

The instructions and parts list for the Ulysses probe can now be found on t'internet.

Has anyone had any problems with recent orders from Lego?

Since ordering a couple of weeks ago, I've not heard anything about when the sets I've ordered will be delivered. I've emailed them and they just emailed me back with the invoice and said "there you are"

R2-D2 launching 1st May... I have a nasty feeling one of those and the Probe Droid could well end up in my online basket this weekend...! :D

Has anyone had any problems with recent orders from Lego?

Since ordering a couple of weeks ago, I've not heard anything about when the sets I've ordered will be delivered. I've emailed them and they just emailed me back with the invoice and said "there you are"

The Shuttle took a while to arrive and then in a box that could've held another 3 similar size boxes. Hate seeing that kind of wasteful packaging.

Other than that, they kept me up to date with the order.

I'm all too conscious of the greater fool theory when it comes to speculative investments. In fact, I'm probably stymied by that. When personalised plates first became available in my part of the world around 1990, the two letter plate denoting my initials was snapped up and offered for resale at $10,000. I thought no fool would ever pay that. A year later, that same plate sold at auction for $140,000. It had, and still has, zero intrinsic value. So no regrets for me.

That is how I view Lego too. I prefer to buy sets that have interest, complications and appeal that is commensurate with their asking price. But Lego pricing is not always straightforward or logical. Some sets are fantastic value e.g. Saturn V rocket. Others like the Ulysses Space Probe are not worth the market price people seem prepared to pay. But I guess that is the nature of limited production and FOMO in action.

I think the best investment sets are part of a time series, where a new set or collection is added every year. Creator Expert winter series and modular buildings spring to mind. Also, Architecture skylines and Speed Champion singles for smaller and more affordably priced sets. I have the entire set of 6-stud wide Speed Champion cars (all but three in MISB condition), and have started to collect the 8-stud wide series as well.

I have no idea if the sets I’ve bought as investments will gain in value over time or not, so I’ve only bought sets I wouldn’t mind building if the investment plan fails.

I’d rather have a bit of cash tied up in Lego than in the bank anyway as it’s doing sod all in there at the moment.

I have no idea if the sets I’ve bought as investments will gain in value over time or not, so I’ve only bought sets I wouldn’t mind building if the investment plan fails.
With very few exceptions, I'd build every set in my collection without hesitation if the market crashed completely. In fact, I should start collecting a few train sets so I can get a Lego town going.

The Shuttle took a while to arrive and then in a box that could've held another 3 similar size boxes. Hate seeing that kind of wasteful packaging.

Other than that, they kept me up to date with the order.

The sets turned up this morning..... A bit of communication would of being nice from Lego

the 600 quid Imperial Star Destroyer would be a good place to start, or the even bigger Super Star Destroyer that Amazon have got listed at a cool £1700.

Any Star Wars sets labelled Ultimate Collector Series would be a safe investment bet, I think.

advertisement

Back