advertisement

The pfm Lego Investment Challenge

I've been looking at Star Wars sets, any recommendations?

I'm looking to buy for investment.

the 600 quid Imperial Star Destroyer would be a good place to start, or the even bigger Super Star Destroyer that Amazon have got listed at a cool £1700.

Any Star Wars sets labelled Ultimate Collector Series would be a safe investment bet, I think.
I'd agree on the UCS Imperial Star Destroyer and the UCS Millennium Falcon - the Super Star Destroyer is already silly money so I'm not sure how much higher that would go.

I also think ones like the Chiron would be a safe bet for an increase once it gets retired.

Ironically all three are ones I want but can't really justify the (current) expense of. I fear I may come to rue my hesitation in buying them down the line.

The Shuttle took a while to arrive and then in a box that could've held another 3 similar size boxes. Hate seeing that kind of wasteful packaging.

Other than that, they kept me up to date with the order.

Same here, which is slightly odd as the outer boxes are usually a perfect fit for what's inside.

The really big sets present yet another investment headache, and that is how to store them in MISB condition. Whenever I see the 75192 MF or 75252 ISD in shops, their boxes invariably show scuffs, scratches or dents. I'd insist on an original double box for these sets. Moreover, Lego is increasingly using a black background for their artwork, and we all know how well finger prints and scratches show on dark surfaces.

Ive just ordered R2-D2 (75308) even if it doesn't have the UCS label, it is arguably better than the UCS version (10225) from 2014, with a similar parts count and smoother contours.

Last edited:
The really big sets present yet another investment headache, and that is how to store them in MISB condition. Whenever I see the 75192 MF or 75252 ISD in shops, their boxes invariably show scuffs, scratches or dents. I'd insist on an original double box for these sets. Moreover, Lego is increasingly using a black background for their artwork, and we all know how well finger prints and scratches show on dark surfaces.

Ive just ordered R2-D2 (75308) even if it doesn't have the UCS label, it is arguably better than the UCS version (10225) from 2014, with a similar party count and smoother contours.

Lego supplied the Millennium Falcon in a box too big to fit through the loft hatch but luckily the inner box ‘just’ squeezed through as did the outer box once it was broken down. Just meant putting it back once up there and that’s where it’ll stay for a few years at least. Hopefully by then it’ll have gone up in value.

I’ll see how John Lewis package the Imperial Star Destroyer when it gets here this week. Thanks @Funk for the tip off on the discount that JL we’re doing on it. The money saved has gone towards the R2 D2 set. I think that’s me done now for Lego investing as the loft is getting a bit too full with it now. Still half tempted to get another Space Shuttle to build for myself though that might have to be a later I the year as. Christmas present to myself. Haha!

The last thing I bought from John Lewis was the last Lego thing I ever bought from John Lewis. Stuffed into a plastic bag and looked like someone had been playing drop kick rugby with it.

To be fair I did get a voucher when I complained and sent them photos of the damage to the box (for 50% of the RRP)

Hope they've changed their practice. It was a few years ago mind.

I think that’s me done now for Lego investing as the loft is getting a bit too full with it now.
That's what I said when the closet in a spare room was full of Lego boxes. Then I bought a standalone cupboard, which is now completely filled. Now I think I need another one, because the closet is getting full again.

Lego keeps releasing sets I like. Next on my list are ECTO-1 (10274) and Porsche 911 (10295).

That's what I said when the closet in a spare room was full of Lego boxes. Then I bought a standalone cupboard, which is now completely filled. Now I think I need another one, because the closet is getting full again.

Lego keeps releasing sets I like. Next on my list are ECTO-1 (10274) and Porsche 911 (10295).

I jumped on the 911 as soon as I saw it. I think they’ve done a really good job with it so I couldn’t resist adding it to the collection. I’m definitely done now though - haha!

I think the Creator Expert series of classic cars will be a good investment, if my Ferrari F40 (10248) is anything to go by.

Had an email confirming that the R2-D2 kit is incoming…

That’s me done now. Time to get the boxes up the loft and forget all about them for a few years. Out of all of them, it’s only the Space Shuttle that I’m really tempted to build and display with the Saturn 5 rocket in the office.

I'm not an AFOL (or GayFOL come to that) but I rather like this

Might be my first Lego purchase for 50 years or more!

That is very cool, I’ll grab one of those. Lego certainly strike me as a decent company, e.g. the stopped advertising in gutter hate tabloids like the Mail after the bigoted content was pointed out to them.

60b495acc5fd9_jmlrtxk7xp621__700.jpg

I wonder if the Addidas trainer is worth an investment punt? Trainers can be crazy collectable apparently.

I got the Typewriter and used a bunch of VIP points recently, which effectively knocked 40% off the price.

Not convinced by Lego sneakers, but as the first of its kind, it's already collectable. Likely to be supplemented by a series of classic sneakers. I loved my blue Adidas TRX from the late 70s with fluoro yellow stripes.

advertisement

Back