advertisement

the perfect pop record is...

Maybe I should have read the lines on the video :p before posting the above:rolleyes: Too busy watching her.

Well Clodagh's legs could have had me if she'd played her cards right.. I have the distinct impression that you, or any other bloke.. would have 'lucked out' with Dusty.. :)
Good list BTW.

There are many , many more qualifiers.

Dusty had the look and the hand movements which done me in. I doubt there has been a greater female singer from this little island and she seemed to have a great personality in interviews which at my tender age was the most important thing. Later on, I read she took a stand against segregation when she visited South Africa in the 60s. So, all in all, I had good taste before puberty, after that it went downhill. :)

BTW The Fortunes were pretty good, not forgetting the Searchers too. Peely had the hots for The Trems and I remember him saying they had the best rhythm section in the country.

Ps The Tokens are all you say which reminds me we need to have Running Scared by the Big O in somewhere.

Maybe I should have read the lines on the video :p before post the above:rolleyes: Too busy watching her.

I don't suppose many people remember, but before the belated response to 'Pirate Radio' led to the creation of Radio 1 etc., the Beeb played next to no 'pop' and when they did it was more often live than records. There was a program that went out lunchtimes, ( I think maybe Tuesdays) on 'The Light Programme' which featured 'The Rabin Band', along with assorted small time pop performers. Clodagh Rogers was among them.

This seems to reference the period. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Go_Man_Go_(radio_show)

Much info on those days now seems to be lost.

Reactions: MVJ
I don't suppose many people remember, but before the belated response to 'Pirate Radio' led to the creation of Radio 1 etc., the Beeb played next to no 'pop' and when they did it was more often live than records. There was a program that went out lunchtimes, ( I think maybe Tuesdays) on 'The Light Programme' which featured 'Bernard Rabin and the Rabin Band', along with assorted small time pop performers. Clodagh Rogers was among them.

This seems to reference the period. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Go_Man_Go_(radio_show)

Much info on those days now seems to be lost.

The only radio I listened to was the top 40 on a Sunday evening & radio Luxembourg the rest of the time.

Dusty had the look and the hand movements which done me in. I doubt there has been a greater female singer from this little island and she seemed to have a great personality in interviews which at my tender age was the most important thing. Later on, I read she took a stand against segregation when she visited South Africa in the 60s. So, all in all, I had good taste before puberty, after that it went downhill. :)

BTW The Fortunes were pretty good, not forgetting the Searchers too. Peely had the hots for The Trems and I remember him saying they had the best rhythm section in the country.

Ps The Tokens are all you say which reminds me we need to have Running Scared by the Big O in somewhere.

Was never a great fan of the Searchers. Their output was even more covers based than many Brit groups of the time. ( Drifters/Jackie De Shannon mostly)

Tremeloes did some OK stuff. One lot we've overlooked is Marmalade, whose harmony output was consistently good and IMHO peaked with these two:

I like the ones where I don't really know what the verse or chorus is, or the bit that made the song so special. Because every part, including the instrumentation, is extremely catchy, like a poptastic sensory overload. Here are two:

And then they end too soon.

I like the ones where I don't really know what the verse or chorus is, or the bit that made the song so special. Because every part, including the instrumentation, is extremely catchy, like a poptastic sensory overload. Here are two:

And then they end too soon.

Like this?

It builds up, I mean. Instead of going whallop from the start.

Actually its impossible to define a perfect pop song. I cant take anything away from any of the recommendations. All top stuff

Luxureh!!

I didn't have access to a 'proper' radio and had to settle for whatever came through the Rediffusion cable.

Spent many nights under the bed covers listening to the radio:p probably where my love of music started. I found my old transister radio in the attic of the family home of 49 years when my mum passed away & skipped it without thinking. What a pillock.:oops:

A friend of mine had an ex army tank radio or somesuch, which allowed him to tune into many stations other than the BBC. I was so jealous!!! He was always ahead of me on hearing new music. He went on to be a member of successful local band before heading off to the US to work in the auto industry. Sadly, he died suddenly a few years back. I'm still in touch with his younger brother who has worked as a musician since he left school, mostly playing bass with assorted bands including a few who have 'charted'.

So, definitive proof that if I'd had a proper radio, I would now be a successful musician. Or dead.

No, that's defo got a verse building up to a chorus. Or 2 choruses!

Drat.. See what you mean though.

Many of Orbison's songs had no chorus. They worked more like operatic arias. Falling, In Dreams, The Crowd, Crying, Only the Lonely, etc.

A friend of mine had an ex army tank radio or somesuch, which allowed him to tune into many stations other than the BBC. I was so jealous!!! He was always ahead of me on hearing new music. He went on to be a member of successful local band before heading off to the US to work in the auto industry. Sadly, he died suddenly a few years back. I'm still in touch with his younger brother who has worked as a musician since he left school, mostly playing bass with assorted bands including a few who have 'charted'.

So, definitive proof that if I'd had a proper radio, I would now be a successful musician. Or dead.

I was the one with radio & had several jealous friends, Many summer holidays spent in the local fields listening.
Bit of a bird puller too I might add but more interested in my mates than girls at that time lol!

advertisement

Back