advertisement

the perfect pop record is...

Manfred Mann, "Pretty Flamingo" does the same for me first girlfriend as a young sprog. Must be early sixties...

These have stood the test of time for me & still get played often;

Barbra Streisand - Stoney End
The Chantels -Maybe
Dionne Warwick - Are You There With Another Girl ?
Mina - Se Telefonando
Maxine Brown - Oh No, Not My Baby
The Peppermint Rainbow - Will You Be Staying After Sunday ?
Gene Page - All Our Dreams Are Coming True
Lesley Gore - What Am I Gonna Do With You ?
A Tribe Called Quest - Footprints
Smokey Robinson - Baby Baby, Don't Cry

Very good list, though I prefer Laura Nyro’s Version of Stoney End.

Hey Ya by OutKast, anyone?

I'll break it down by decade. Pop is such a tricky concept, I'll go with it being very popular and sold lots of copies, plus not being overtly Rock with a big R:

60s: The Beach Boys - Pet Sounds
70s: T. Rex - Electric Warrior
80s: Prince - Purple Rain
90s: Pulp - His 'N Hers (interchangeable with Different Class)
00s: Outkast - The Love Below
10s: Daft Punk - Random Access Memories

I'll break it down by decade. Pop is such a tricky concept, I'll go with it being very popular and sold lots of copies, plus not being overtly Rock with a big R:

60s: The Beach Boys - Pet Sounds
70s: T. Rex - Electric Warrior
80s: Prince - Purple Rain
90s: Pulp - His 'N Hers (interchangeable with Different Class)
00s: Outkast - The Love Below
10s: Daft Punk - Random Access Memories

Interesting, but I have never heard of Outkast or Daft Punk.

Can’t open page 6, perhaps too many videos.

Anyway some I think have been missed

Virginia Plain - Roxy Music
Up the Junction - Squeeze
Fade to Grey - Visage
Mrs Robinson - S&G
Linger - The Cranberries
Philby - Rory Gallagher

.sjb

Interesting, but I have never heard of Outkast or Daft Punk.

Outkast are a hip hop duo, but The Love Below is one of them (André 3000) branching out into a much more pop milieu (it was paired with Speakerboxx, done by Big Boi, the other guy, which was pretty much straight hip hop). Really diverse, well executed and funny as hell in parts.
Daft Punk are a french electronic dance dúo, but have had enough crossover success to consider them pop.

Outkast are a hip hop duo, but The Love Below is one of them (André 3000) branching out into a much more pop milieu (it was paired with Speakerboxx, done by Big Boi, the other guy, which was pretty much straight hip hop). Really diverse, well executed and funny as hell in parts.
Daft Punk are a french electronic dance dúo, but have had enough crossover success to consider them pop.

Not surprising I haven’t heard of them. I don’t like hip hop or dance music.
Actually, not strictly correct.
I love Glenn Miller’s dance band music.

I can definitely understand if that is your dance music reference! ;)
I don't really like hip hop music, I've tried to get into it but with no avail. The Love Below is a really really great album, although I suspect would not be your cup of tea.

60's : Itchycoo Park or Lazy Sunday or Waterloo Sunset
70's : More Than a Feeling
80's : Relax
90's : Wonderwall
00's : pass
10's : ditto

I listened to an interview with Chris Lowe (of Pet Shop Boys) a few years back now and he described the perfect pop song in terms of chord changes, certain note combinations and lyrical content that could be listened to on two levels as well as sung a long to easily. He reckoned all the best pop songs that had stood the test of time had these qualities and that many of the early Pet Shop Boys songs tried to follow this formula to an extent. He then went on to say that in his opinion that The Beatles nailed this formula well, but Abba even more so. I don't mind Abba myself, but I'm hardly a fan yet I can absolutely see what he means.

advertisement

Back