advertisement

the perfect pop record is...

Mr Cat

Owner
..'run for your life' by the beatles..

rubber soul is some album, some classics on there, who's to argue (well, this being PFM, plenty..!)

Reactions: MVJ
For me it’s probably a toss up between Teenage Kicks & can’t get you out of my head by Kylie.
Not that they’re my favourite songs, but as a formula for the perfect pop single, I reckon they nail it.

For me it’s probably a toss up between Teenage Kicks & can’t get you out of my head by Kylie.
Not that they’re my favourite songs, but as a formula for the perfect pop single, I reckon they nail it.

yes,they're both great, I worked down in Swindon for over 8 months for castrol and stayed in the swindon marriott hotel (whenever I refer to the marriott - I always say the swindon marriott :)), and I had to go back down some months later to do some server upgrades one weekend... I took some weed with me, and went into some pub and that kylie record came on and it was one of the rare times I danced haha...

that same night I went back to the hotel and smoked a joint on the roof... !

another time I was down there - I went to brixton to get a smoke and paid 40 quid for a bag of oregano from some guy... I had a smoke at euston station - felt nothing, then had a smoke at swindon and this confirmed it was shit.. :(

but I later watched a documentary which michael macintyre(?) where he went to brixton and had a mobile and laptop stolen (he had them tracked to jamaica) after he befriended some guys in a street - and this made me realise what a lucky escape I had...

I Heard it Through the Grapevine by Marvin Gaye. It has everything!

Livin' on Milk & Alcohol by Dr Feelgood. What an amazing pop song impossible to ignore from start to finish.

The Monkees - 'Last Train To Clarksville' or something from The Carpenters?

Something slightly more up to date -

The Ting Tings - 'That's Not My Name'

The Ting Tings first album 'We Started Nothing' is pure pop in my opinion.

Nobody has mentioned Abba yet...

A perfect pop song should be very simple, genuinely new, catchy, a little subversive, and should perfectly capture its time. It needs to come from nowhere and remain a classic. As such my list would probably be something along the lines of:

Elvis Preseley - Jailhouse Rock
The Beatles - Love Me Do
Pink Floyd - Arnold Layne
David Bowie - Space Oddity
John Lennon - Imagine
Black Sabbath - Paranoid
Gil Scott Heron - The Revolution Will Not Be Televised
Donna Summer - Love To Love You Baby
Kraftwerk - The Model
Sex Pistols - Anarchy In The UK
Gary Newman - Are Friends Electric
Grandmaster Flash - The Message
The Smiths - This Charming Man
The KLF - What Time Is Love
Beyonće - Single Ladies

No Abba, Tony?

They lack the ‘a little subversive’ bit, which I do see as a requirement of perfect pop music. I have to admit I’ve never ‘got’/liked Abba. I can see the skill and admire the technique, but it is just too saccharine and over-thought to me - almost what someone like Andrew Lloyd-Webber would think disco should be, when the reality is it was a dirty sexy organic thing that grew from the clubs. Good pop music always has an edge to it somewhere.

advertisement

Back