advertisement

the perfect pop record is...

One of my favourite recent pop tunes, by another Swede. A moving lyric about the big C set to an irresistibly bouncy indie synthpop melody.

I'm out on a limb here but I feel Kayleigh by Marillion is the perfectly constructed pop song, it has everything a pop song needs, great intro, the perfect middle section & a chorus delivered with gusto & feeling by Fish, this, along with Come on Eileen, Hit me with your rhythm stick & 500 miles from the Proclaimers are among the greatest pop songs ever constructed, not the greatest songs ever written but fit into this category perfectly.

Of the modern ilk, Happy by Pharrel Williams, this has to be the perfect feel good pop song ever made.

Not the perfect pop records by any means but good to inject some irony and have a laugh.

I'm out on a limb here but I feel Kayleigh by Marillion is the perfectly constructed pop song, it has everything a pop song needs, great intro, the perfect middle section & a chorus delivered with gusto & feeling by Fish
Incredibly I'd just come on here to nominate that very same song.
Guess I'll have to add Cars & Girls by Prefab Sprout instead.

These have stood the test of time for me & still get played often;

Barbra Streisand - Stoney End
The Chantels -Maybe
Dionne Warwick - Are You There With Another Girl ?
Mina - Se Telefonando
Maxine Brown - Oh No, Not My Baby
The Peppermint Rainbow - Will You Be Staying After Sunday ?
Gene Page - All Our Dreams Are Coming True
Lesley Gore - What Am I Gonna Do With You ?
A Tribe Called Quest - Footprints
Smokey Robinson - Baby Baby, Don't Cry

To name just a few:

Sam Cooke - Twistin' The Night Away
The Who - Pinball Wizard
Cheap Trick - I Want You To Want Me
The Cure - Lovecats
The Cure - Just Like Heaven

Have we had everything ever written by Stereolab yet? Oh, and Mannequin by Wire:

A friend used to busk that one on acoustic guitar, the lyrics often got a reaction!

advertisement

Back