advertisement

The Olympics 2020/1 Japan.

That’s as far as I ever got. I really loved it as a kid in the ‘70s, but all the stuff people do on skateboards now simply didn’t exist outside of a few US skaters who had discovered empty pools (Dogtown, Alva, Peralta etc). Nothing at all like that where I lived, so it was more about simple flat tricks or hurtling down the steepest hill one could find. Still got my 70mm green Kryptonics! I find the evolution over the past best part of 50 years astonishing, the stuff pulled off in the mens final today unbelievable to my eyes.

It really is a whole other thing. All the street tricks, grinds over street furniture etc. They just didn’t exist to my knowledge when I was doing it. The boards all had a distinct front with a kick-tail at the back and with the exception of fibreglass boards (mainly aimed at slalom) had no flex, so actually getting the board to jump was all but impossible.

PS Sims were fabulous boards, real top-end stuff, I never managed to score one. I had a Pacer fibreglass board with risers, ACS 580s (maybe 500s, can’t remember) and the green Kryps. A bit short for the wheel size, but it didn’t put me off!
Takes me back, Kryptonics! I seem to recall the skateboard craze came & went pretty quickly in the 70s & the boards were tiny & quite narrow. I adapted mine so it had a stopper on the back so I could pull a wheely while slowing down.

They made a comeback in the 80s with bigger boards more aimed at tricks; this trend has grown & evolved.

I was also quite into roller boots & ice skating for a time. Was pretty decent at the former.

I’ve just made the mistake of googling how much they are now…

Some stuff is really collectable now. I accidentally noticed prices going up a decade or more ago so built a couple of display boards for nostalgia possible investment when I saw interesting NOS stuff going through eBay cheap with little or no bids:

9115191639_9df2e5b188_c.jpg

TaperPro deck, ACS 650s and my old Kryps. This would have been a dream deck for the way I rode in the ‘70s as its nice and long for its era. It would have been great downhill, as would the chunky 650s.

9115191219_68332db8be_c.jpg

RMI deck, Gullwing Phoenix trucks & Power Paws. All NOS and landed for about £40 delivered IIRC, the Phoenix are worth LOLprice now!

There is a really good skateboarding thread somewhere here, so these pics have been posted. I’ve got a few other bits & bobs knocking around too.

I was also quite into roller boots & ice skating for a time. Was pretty decent at the former.

:)

My mate and I (still my best mate) used to rollerskate to an ice-rink, ice-skate (Bauer Turbo’s), then rollerskate home. Homemade rollerskates, ACS baseplates and Bauer Turbo boots.:cool:
Used to play on the ice, slow one-foot travelling spins, lots of barrel-roll adaptations, backwards crossovers etc. I could do a solid 360° travelling backwards to backwards on ice. The rollerskating we took seriously, and did some halfpipe skating. parallel stance though, not Fred Blood style, or Mon Barbour stylee. We stuck with skateboarding though when the ‘craze’ died, and rode out the quiet years. Back then you would get excited if you saw anyone wearing Vans or Converse All Stars because usually they were skateboarders back in the early/mid 80’s.

Archibald and Kenny murdering the field in the Madison. 10 sprints out of 12!

Trained and racing with the GB U23 men's team during lockdown..impressive.

Kenny the first British woman to win gold at three succesive Olympic Games.

Hoy reckons she could have another two Games in her.

Genius little touch with the yellow helmets...lots of teams in white and blue-like kits.

This is quite a story too: https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/olympics/58097363

And a well deserved bronze for Carlin in the Sprint.

Quite a battle between the Dutch for the gold.

Last edited:
That Modern Pentathlon is a lottery to say the least when it comes to the Showjumping bit: the horses are indeed allocated by lottery and the German, who was leading, was allocated a horse that refused to play ball. Game over.
Takes credibility away from the whole event.

That Modern Pentathlon is a lottery to say the least when it comes to the Showjumping bit: the horses are indeed allocated by lottery and the German, who was leading, was allocated a horse that refused to play ball. Game over.

That was horrendous for the German girl, just felt so bad for her, a horse having a bad day killing her medal chances.

The women's climbing (Red Button now) has been superb. Really engrossing and really impressive. Who knew climbing was such a good spectator sport?

Amazing climbing by the Slovenian who's won the gold.

Nothing in the Olympics featuring a horse is a credible event.

She also whipped the horse https://twitter.com/stuartleech/status/1423607420320993281

I say "well done, horse". She deserved to lose with that attitude.

Nothing in the Olympics featuring a horse is a credible event.

She also whipped the horse https://twitter.com/stuartleech/status/1423607420320993281

I say "well done, horse". She deserved to lose with that attitude.

Both my daughters ride and watched this. They both were saying a lot of it was down to the rider, fair enough the horse was obviously slightly spooked to begin with but the rider's reaction made it worse. She might already have had a problem with the horse because another competitor had issues with it in an earlier round. Horses are actually very sensitive to their rider's attitude/mood and if the human isn't able to inspire confidence then this is the result.

Every horse in the pool is a highly experienced show jumper and should be able to produce a decent performance, but as the saying goes, it takes two baby.

The women's climbing (Red Button now) has been superb. Really engrossing and really impressive. Who knew climbing was such a good spectator sport?

Amazing climbing by the Slovenian who's won the gold.

Yes it's absolutely ace! Especially the speed climbing. Only seen coverage of the women's event over a couple of days but I understand that the men have already medalled.

advertisement

Back