advertisement

The Olympics 2020/1 Japan.

Interesting comparing the attitude/body language of the women’s pole volt with the skateboarding or BMX. Absolutely none of the inter-competitor support, camaraderie, laughing, joking etc. Deadly serious stuff. There is something really cool about the newer sports coming from street culture. It is a different mindset somehow.
They're clapping the run ups what more do you want? ;)
Congratulations amongst them now it's over.
This whole ROC thing is starting to ruin things as we move to the athletic events.
The main focus of the ban is on athletics and only 10 ROC athletes are being allowed in track and field:
https://www.reuters.com/lifestyle/sports/athletics-who-are-10-russians-competing-tokyo-2021-07-28/

Interesting comparing the attitude/body language of the women’s pole volt with the skateboarding or BMX. Absolutely none of the inter-competitor support, camaraderie, laughing, joking etc. Deadly serious stuff. There is something really cool about the newer sports coming from street culture. It is a different mindset somehow.
A friend who is an althlete and competes at national level was saying the Pole Vaulters are all extremely close and do support each other. She was at the two recent Diamond meetings at Gateshead and said the women vaulters were so supportive to each other. I guess during the later stages of the Olympic competition we don’t see it so much.

I don't know about competitive skateboarding, but we see plenty of it at social level. Pole vaulting only exists in competition. I think with the struggles at the early heights and then the quick pace of the later heights, there wasn't much time to chat. Not much time to consider your run up, adjust the pole before time to go again.

I think I called that wrongly to be honest, they all seemed friendly enough afterwards! I just get the impression with the skateboarding & BMX it’s more about landing a trick right at the very edge of your skills than winning a medal.

Interesting comparing the attitude/body language of the women’s pole volt with the skateboarding or BMX. Absolutely none of the inter-competitor support, camaraderie, laughing, joking etc. Deadly serious stuff..

Really ? The male pole-vaulters were close enough to each other than when one came along with Covid, a load more had to isolate and almost missed the competition !

Good to see the latter skateboarding contest had some substance to it rather than the paint-scratching of the first event. Keep the latter, ditch the former IMO.

CHE

I’ve been thoroughly enjoying the Olympics on the BBC and Eurosport. My fav. is the athletics but it’s been brill seeing the skateboarding and learning some new language! Amazing skills on show.

I’ve been staying up til 4-5am (I always take 2 weeks hols on purpose:)); really pleased for Holly Bradshaw and yes, it’s well known in athletics that the pole vaulters are really close.

For me the Olympics is driven by the track and field events. But I enjoy many of the other sports and I have a growing admiration for the gymnasts. Here's my new man-crush Max Whitlock arriving at Heathrow earlier this week. (I'm partial to a good airport/station re-union anyway)

That child is SO excited, it's just wonderful to see that happiness.

Must go anyway, I think I've got something in my eye.

https://www.echo-news.co.uk/news/19490123.video-shows-max-whitlock-reunited-daughter/

Just seen the Men’s Skateboarding - Park/Vert.

Moans first - ineffectual camera angles and editing. Sucked the life out of the runs, ruined it in terms of viewing. For those new to viewing Skateboarding on screen, the whole point is that you are able to see the trick from the aspect ‘behind the coping.’ Overhead shots hide the board and feet from the viewer, also the stance and arms/hands position of the Skater and importantly - what their facial expression is. Not very interesting, but it is irritating.
The scoring sucked. Absolutely no way was there a run that could make 95.83 (Australian Keegan Palmer - Gold Medal) and the next 3 skaters down from that only score 86 - 84 and 83, phooey.

Luiz Francisco (Brazil - 4th Place) was robbed. Kickflip Melon over the Peanut, 360° Kickflip Indie Grab, and that last run! Gravy-dripping Frontside Healflip over the hip. Nice style.

Pedro Barros (Brazil - Silver medal) I have seen Pedro skate a large halfpipe from the flat bottom and he rips. The energy leaks out of him, and he has some loft. I have some photographs somewhere from that demo, it was yonks ago in Brighton. Nice chap.

Cory Juneau (USA - Bronze medal) - lucky.

That skinny youth who won the Gold, Keegan Palmer from Oz has a lovely fluid style. Made things look easy that take years of work and pain to learn.
Lovely massive tweaked Frontside Stalefish, the shape he made was divine.
Backside Tailgrab 540° over the channel was cream smooth. Kickflip-Sad grab over the hip looked like he did it everyday before having a #2.
BUT Palmer has a shape that I don’t like. Gangly and ‘All Arms’ a bit like Hawk. Nope.

Good to see Skaters getting on like they always do, as the commentator said, it could have been a regular skateboarding session for those dudes. Everyone supporting each other, and being vocal about it.
As the man said, it was very much the Olympics coming to Skateboarding rather than anything else. There was no different behaviour to any bunch of skaters getting together for a session.
(more blood and slams in a good session - and beer)

Notes:

Vincent Matheron (France) and Steven Piniero (Puerto Rico) didn’t wear kneepads. This indicated that they wouldn’t be going that high? Personal choice I suppose.
Vincent Matheron slammed twice, both times his helmet either came off, or shifted because the strap wasn’t tight (or even fastened with some of them) - I am surprised that the Olympics don’t insist that if safety equipment is worn, it should be worn properly. Durrr o_O The French bloke smacked his head as well on one slam if you watch closely. Whiplash tomorrow.
The value of kneepads was apparent a couple of times when Skaters bailed from a height and knee-slid out of the fall. Also the value of a decent size transition.

I tried to find the depth of the pool end and transitions, but couldn’t find any information.
My estimate was about a 12’ transition tops with maybe a foot of vert or so on some of the extensions. Easy to just assume that they are 10’ ++ above the floor on most tricks. The camera angles really hide the height and width of those moves.

I would really like to see a straight forward Halfpipe contest included in the disciplines.
12’ transitions with a foot of Vertical, maybe a 2’ Tombstone. 30’ wide. Sort of basic ramp that anyone in any country could try and replicate, even if the transitions are smaller. Less exclusive, more inclusive.
In its purest form, skateboarding on a smooth flattish pathway (a pavement) is the cheapest and easiest to achieve. The Ramp/Park/Vertical could reflect that by being a simple format? Or Ramp/halfpipe is a separate category?

And why not have Skateboard High jump, Long jump and Slalom? Like the good ol’ days ;)

easy to judge…

The women's skateboard featured 13 year olds falling off their skateboards and crying! Poor Japanese girl at the end was in tears.

I don't think that should be in the Olympics.

Also the commentators are annoying and daft.

The whole 'sport' needs to grow up, I say.

Not a patch on BMX, which is everything an exciting new Olympic sport should be.

Just seen the Men’s Skateboarding - Park/Vert.

Moans first - ineffectual camera angles and editing. Sucked the life out of the runs, ruined it in terms of viewing. For those new to viewing Skateboarding on screen, the whole point is that you are able to see the trick from the aspect ‘behind the coping.’ Overhead shots hide the board and feet from the viewer, also the stance and arms/hands position of the Skater and importantly - what their facial expression is. Not very interesting, but it is irritating.
The scoring sucked. Absolutely no way was there a run that could make 95.83 (Australian Keegan Palmer - Gold Medal) and the next 3 skaters down from that only score 86 - 84 and 83, phooey.

Luiz Francisco (Brazil - 4th Place) was robbed. Kickflip Melon over the Peanut, 360° Kickflip Indie Grab, and that last run! Gravy-dripping Frontside Healflip over the hip. Nice style.

Pedro Barros (Brazil - Silver medal) I have seen Pedro skate a large halfpipe from the flat bottom and he rips. The energy leaks out of him, and he has some loft. I have some photographs somewhere from that demo, it was yonks ago in Brighton. Nice chap.

Cory Juneau (USA - Bronze medal) - lucky.

That skinny youth who won the Gold, Keegan Palmer from Oz has a lovely fluid style. Made things look easy that take years of work and pain to learn.
Lovely massive tweaked Frontside Stalefish, the shape he made was divine.
Backside Tailgrab 540° over the channel was cream smooth. Kickflip-Sad grab over the hip looked like he did it everyday before having a #2.
BUT Palmer has a shape that I don’t like. Gangly and ‘All Arms’ a bit like Hawk. Nope.

Good to see Skaters getting on like they always do, as the commentator said, it could have been a regular skateboarding session for those dudes. Everyone supporting each other, and being vocal about it.
As the man said, it was very much the Olympics coming to Skateboarding rather than anything else. There was no different behaviour to any bunch of skaters getting together for a session.
(more blood and slams in a good session - and beer)

Notes:

Vincent Matheron (France) and Steven Piniero (Puerto Rico) didn’t wear kneepads. This indicated that they wouldn’t be going that high? Personal choice I suppose.
Vincent Matheron slammed twice, both times his helmet either came off, or shifted because the strap wasn’t tight (or even fastened with some of them) - I am surprised that the Olympics don’t insist that if safety equipment is worn, it should be worn properly. Durrr o_O The French bloke smacked his head as well on one slam if you watch closely. Whiplash tomorrow.
The value of kneepads was apparent a couple of times when Skaters bailed from a height and knee-slid out of the fall. Also the value of a decent size transition.

I tried to find the depth of the pool end and transitions, but couldn’t find any information.
My estimate was about a 12’ transition tops with maybe a foot of vert or so on some of the extensions. Easy to just assume that they are 10’ ++ above the floor on most tricks. The camera angles really hide the height and width of those moves.

I would really like to see a straight forward Halfpipe contest included in the disciplines.
12’ transitions with a foot of Vertical, maybe a 2’ Tombstone. 30’ wide. Sort of basic ramp that anyone in any country could try and replicate, even if the transitions are smaller. Less exclusive, more inclusive.
In its purest form, skateboarding on a smooth flattish pathway (a pavement) is the cheapest and easiest to achieve. The Ramp/Park/Vertical could reflect that by being a simple format? Or Ramp/halfpipe is a separate category?

And why not have Skateboard High jump, Long jump and Slalom? Like the good ol’ days ;)

easy to judge…
I also thought the lad who finished fourth was hard done by. The level of skill & commitment to just master one of the tricks is hard to fathom, linking them all together is something else.

I also thought the lad who finished fourth was hard done by. The level of skill & commitment to just master one of the tricks is hard to fathom, linking them all together is something else.

All the tricks seen are born of other tricks/moves that you have to learn first.
You can’t jump straight to any of the tricks seen in the final.
Just staying on the board on the flat is hard enough for many.

What is difficult to conceive is how skilful it is.
Take Figure Ice-Skating for example. Fast, dangerous sport requiring a real mix of skills - lots of spinning and aerial work, BUT ice-skates are attached to their feet. When landing if your feet are pointing the correct way, so will your feet.
On a Skateboard, it is not attached in anyway to you when landing, apart from by gravity.

For many it will remain something for kids.
Great stuff, it is that viewpoint that keeps Skateboarding fun.
Like running, hopping and playing…

The women's skateboard featured 13 year olds falling off their skateboards and crying! Poor Japanese girl at the end was in tears.

I don't think that should be in the Olympics.

Also the commentators are annoying and daft.

The whole 'sport' needs to grow up, I say.

Not a patch on BMX, which is everything an exciting new Olympic sport should be.

:):):) :p:p:p

I am glad you feel that way.
Reflects wonderfully what makes Skateboarding soo good.

All the tricks seen are born of other tricks/moves that you have to learn first.
You can’t jump straight to any of the tricks seen in the final.
Just staying on the board on the flat is hard enough for many.

What is difficult to conceive is how skilful it is.
Take Figure Ice-Skating for example. Fast, dangerous sport requiring a real mix of skills - lots of spinning and aerial work, BUT ice-skates are attached to their feet. When landing if your feet are pointing the correct way, so will your feet.
On a Skateboard, it is not attached in anyway to you when landing, apart from by gravity.

For many it will remain something for kids.
Great stuff, it is that viewpoint that keeps Skateboarding fun.
Like running, hopping and playing…
I did skateboard as a kid, I was mainly into going very fast rather than tricks. I did like to do jumps though. A long time ago!

I did skateboard as a kid, I was mainly into going very fast rather than tricks. I did like to do jumps though. A long time ago!

That is what I liked first on a skateboard, the sense of speed. Especially sat on a skateboard flying downhill. Always feels fast when your head is close to the ground.

That is what I liked first on a skateboard, the sense of speed. Especially sat on a skateboard flying downhill. Always feels fast when your head is close to the ground.

I loved the going fast bit, couldn’t do tricks to save my life so got my mum to order me a Sims longboard from the US (advert in the back of Skateboarder magazine). Must have been a proper pain in her arse having to get an international money order sorted etc.

Pretty much this one:

bbda6bb7f22e62113bf02b022a304269.jpg

Loved that board, mum gave it away to the lad across the road when I left home at 17. Still not forgiven her.

That’s as far as I ever got. I really loved it as a kid in the ‘70s, but all the stuff people do on skateboards now simply didn’t exist outside of a few US skaters who had discovered empty pools (Dogtown, Alva, Peralta etc). Nothing at all like that where I lived, so it was more about simple flat tricks or hurtling down the steepest hill one could find. Still got my 70mm green Kryptonics! I find the evolution over the past best part of 50 years astonishing, the stuff pulled off in the mens final today unbelievable to my eyes.

It really is a whole other thing. All the street tricks, grinds over street furniture etc. They just didn’t exist to my knowledge when I was doing it. The boards all had a distinct front with a kick-tail at the back and with the exception of fibreglass boards (mainly aimed at slalom) had no flex, so actually getting the board to jump was all but impossible.

PS Sims were fabulous boards, real top-end stuff, I never managed to score one. I had a Pacer fibreglass board with risers, ACS 580s (maybe 500s, can’t remember) and the green Kryps. A bit short for the wheel size, but it didn’t put me off!

I loved the going fast bit, couldn’t do tricks to save my life so got my mum to order me a Sims longboard from the US (advert in the back of Skateboarder magazine). Must have been a proper pain in her arse having to get an international money order sorted etc.

Pretty much this one:

bbda6bb7f22e62113bf02b022a304269.jpg

Loved that board, mum gave it away to the lad across the road when I left home at 17. Still not forgiven her.

I am not surprised you feel that way. That is some Deck to get in the 1970’s, and would have cost a small fortune, easy £70+ back then. Wheels were about £7 each and you needed 2 bearings per wheel at £1 a pop. My first decks were handmade by me. Absolutely awful, but we had no money.

PS Sims were fabulous boards, real top-end stuff

I remember it was kind of expensive at the time, but it was a birthday prezzie.

I’ve just made the mistake of googling how much they are now…

Can’t wait to tell mum…:mad:

advertisement

Back