advertisement

The Olympics 2020/1 Japan.

Big Tabs

looking backwards, going forwards
What are you enjoying watching?

What are you looking forwards to seeing?

Have you got a favourite underdog Country team?

This is about the only time I watch ‘sport.’ Especially something like Football.
Currently watching the GBR women vs. the JPN women. The women look like they play the game rather than trying to force a foul as the men seem to do, but then I know sweet F.A. about football.

I am looking forward to most of it. The field more than track events.

The Skateboarding is contentious, I will be very interested in those events. It will be ‘Street’ and ‘Park,’ so small ramps and obstacles, and Park will be lots of vertical with huge drops, hopefully 12’ plus transitions and some variety as well as a channel. Lots of vert. I hope.

I will even watch the dancing horses thingy, if that is on given the circumstances. ?

edit:
some info. on the Skateboarding.

https://olympics.com/tokyo-2020/en/...k-out-for-as-skaters-become-olympians-at-toky

Not sure about Adam Peaty’s tash, but he got through to the semi-finals 100m. breaststroke.
(and Wilby :))

Never realised the BBC have lost the broadcasting rights to the Discovery channel until this morning. They can only show 2 Live events at any one time nowadays.

We don't have Sky TV so we won't be watching much of it (it's free to Sky customers) and I can't get the Discovery plus app on my LG in the study so I won't be subscribing.

Shame really. Used to watch things like Table Tennis , Sailing , etc.

I thought the opening ceremony was brilliant, really nicely done throughout, the drones depicting the globe were fabulous

EA2-C281-C-9304-4115-ABCB-658-ADABB09-E5.jpg

I'm looking forward to the athletics. Especially the women's events. Some great clashes in the sprints and hurdles. The outcome may depend on who copes with the difficult arrangements the best. Dalilah Muhammad is recovering from Covid.
I love tennis but I don't see it as an Olympic sport. It is a relative newcomer whereas the track, swimming and many others have held the Olympics as the pinnacle of their sport. Tennis has Wimbledon, cycling has Le Tour etc.

Handball for us. Fast and furious action and Tonje's sport when she was a youngster. Watched the opening mens game between Norway and Brazil last night. T of the opinion that the women's game is more fluid and stylish - so all set for Norway women against South Korea tomorrow morning. BBC meant to be covering but probably only the quarter finals onwards. So have subscribed to the Eurosport channel on Prime for a month. Plenty of coverage of other Olympic content there too

Never realised the BBC have lost the broadcasting rights to the Discovery channel until this morning. They can only show 2 Live events at any one time nowadays.

We don't have Sky TV so we won't be watching much of it (it's free to Sky customers) and I can't get the Discovery plus app on my LG in the study so I won't be subscribing.

Shame really. Used to watch things like Table Tennis , Sailing , etc.

We don’t have Sky TV or Sky anything.
Saw table tennis on the BBC today.

Olympics - In terms of availability, there is a lot of stuff available on BBC iPlayer.

Already enjoying the swimming. Also keen to see hockey, volleyball (x2), track, mountain biking, rowing, sailing, table tennis and water polo.

Watching bits of the Olympics on Italian state TV channel. All they show or talk about are events in which Italians are taking part. In the comments, primary importance is given to Italian medals and how many medals Italy is collecting. Almost no attention is given to explaining the technicalities of the various events.

I thought the Olympics were supposed to encourage international understanding and friendship. Not fuelling national pride over "the score" rather than any technical interest in the sports themselves.

Is this the case in other countries?

There’s always some nationalism and flag-waving, as one would expect, but to my mind the BBC coverage is far better than that. Sure, they tend to focus more on events where there is a UK presence or potential for a podium result, but the rest gets covered too and there is much support, enthusiasm and respect for all achievements, especially underdogs from any nations. The commentary and chat usually features past competitors or experts within the sport who tend to be a decent crowd and share a lot of knowledge. On balance I find it a good way to learn about sports I know nothing about. It always feels positive.

PS The thing that I don’t understand is where the commercial/professional line lies, e.g. we have a big Wimbledon player representing us in tennis, I recognise some names from the TdF in the cycling etc etc. I thought the Olympics was meant to be non-commercial/non-corporate?

I think originally the Olympics were only for amateurs. But that has gradually and completely changed, depending also on which sport. Today I heard a commentator say that while men's cycling was now professional, the women's is still amateur, but that this too is changing. I know that in rowing, the Italians get "expenses" from the national Rowing Federation, some get what amount to (modest) salaries from the clubs they belong to. Some are employees of the police, the carabinieri, the navy, army or air force, but are really only expected to row, with the idea that when their rowing days are over they will have a secure job. There is also cash from sponsors, for equipment used, and in some cases possible earnings from advertising if the athlete becomes "a name." So from what little I understand the line is very fuzzy and varies from sport to sport.

There is also cash from sponsors, for equipment used, and in some cases possible earnings from advertising if the athlete becomes "a name." So from what little I understand the line is very fuzzy and varies from sport to sport.

It is the scale of the gulf that gets me. As an example we have Andy Murray, who I understand to be our top professional tennis player competing. I’m speculating here, I know nothing about tennis, but surely he has to be a multi-millionaire by now? I assume he has professional contracts, sponsorships etc amounting to hundreds of thousands a year, the very best training and medical support money can buy etc, so I don’t understand how that is fair to competitors who no doubt haven’t. It almost feels like comparing Jeff Bezos to the bloke who owns the local corner shop.

PS I’ve just googled Murray and apparently he has a net worth of $165m.

Last time I looked Tony AM had earned £160M in his career so perhaps more now, leaving aside expenses and support team etc.

advertisement

Back