advertisement

The Olympics 2020/1 Japan.

One of my favourite Olympics.

The spread of talent seems to be widening which can only benefit sport & finally, after years of hard work & persistence, both Holly Bradshaw & Laura Muir get on the medal rostrum at an Olympics. Both being my personal highlights.

Agree with general feeling. It was a good one with GB athletes winning in 25 different sports, more than any other country apparently echoing the diversity of sports per Ragaman comments

excellent olympics, for some reason more engaging than Rio.

Bring on Paris, I'm looking forward to hhe newer sports, especially the breaking

A bit different to 1996 when Great Britain came 36th… :)

Looking forward to the Para- Olympics next. Not sure what my favourite event is? I want to see a good selection of events though.

4th in the table is a very good result. Could have had a bit more luck in some areas, where silver could have been gold, but still a pretty good show overall. You can tell how the Lottery money has impacted, a steady improvement over recent games.

A spread of disciplines and athletes is good. A few athletes getting several medals points at too many very similar events and a small group of potential winners.
This would be like Paris having 10 events of variations on boules.

Good overview of how women have been put down, over-sexualised and infantilised by commentators during the Olympics. (it also happens a lot on pfm)

https://edition.cnn.com/2021/08/06/sport/olympics-sexism-women-sport-cmd-spt-intl/index.html

I shouldn’t be surprised that pfm appears to ignore how women are subjugated by men. It does seem bizarre to me on a so-called left-leaning group.
Some of the women who are commentators on the Olympic Games are putting other women down with their choice of language/terminology, certainly an uphill battle.

Track and field (men) seems to have become our weak point, aside from the young women in the middle distances where we've some future superstars

Keely Hodgkinson is one to watch. Gold medals are coming her way in the years ahead i think. Super talented young woman.

Definitely a talent. Athing Mu is something else though and Keeley will have to go some to get past her; it may require different events.

Track and field (men) seems to have become our weak point, aside from the young women in the middle distances where we've some future superstars
In the Iron Curtain days the hints that the field sports were dominated by communist doping cheats were always the excuse.

We do have some junior talent coming through: look out for Max Burgin who has already run 1:45 for 800m as a junior and has beaten Coe/Ovett and Cram's times at the same ages.

Team GB did extremely well. A country of 65 million should not expect to do any better without doping. There will always be ebbs and flows in individual sports.

Team GB did extremely well. A country of 65 million should not expect to do any better without doping. There will always be ebbs and flows in individual sports.

Interestingly, it’s usually a correlation between GDP and sporting achievement. Then population size.

Not sure where I would place well funded doping programmes in the post-Iron Curtain era..!!

Interestingly, it’s usually a correlation between GDP and sporting achievement. Then population size.
I saw some complaints today that it is GDP driving event choices.
37 medals in swimming
47 in field

in weightlifting one country can only take part in 8 from 14 and only one competitor in each.
Only 4 or 5 in badminton and table tennis, while 14 in Judo
Asia, especially China, has been complaining about this

I saw some complaints today that it is GDP driving event choices.

Very interesting and not at all surprising..!

The Olympics has long been a method for the West to establish their self-identified superiority. And sport has long served as a diplomatic battleground….

The Olympics has long been a method for the West to establish their self-identified superiority. And sport has long served as a diplomatic battleground….

:)

By ‘West’ do you mean China and Russia?

I suppose you feel the same way about the Paralympics?

Scratch that, I am not bothered what you think.

advertisement

Back