advertisement

The Great Obesity Epidemic

The local chippie, Chinese, Indian or kebab van. Whichever takes my fancy. Could be a kebab and a Chinese this evening, I'm a bit peckish.
You might be surprised how much sugar is used in "westernised" Chinese dishes.

You might be surprised how much sugar is used in "westernised" Chinese dishes.

No, I wouldn't. I worked that one out years ago.

I was surprised how much was in a certain type of supermarket salmon though.

With time, the system will adapt to the new balances and will receive input from external sources such as drug regimes, exercise levels and even mental state. This will mean that the foods that contribute to your "issues" will most likely change once again, and a modification of diet will be required. How often this change will happen and require attention I don't know. Maybe once every few years? Maybe once every few weeks?

Just watched the prog and what you say could be valid, but it could also be the case that for some people there could be something which spikes their glucose levels that was unexpected and elimination of the product(s) could be very helpful for T2 prevention and tackling obesity. In addition food items they have been advised to avoid may not in their case be harmful eg ice cream.

I have a gut feeling (!) this could turn out to be a very interesting line of inquiry for the diet industry and confirms aspects of my own personal experience.

matthew.

what is "dirty chicken"?

vuk.

p.s. not too far from my place:

1598945_1611453202419190_651075131_n.jpg

what is "dirty chicken"?

Any food that is very obviously bad for you but is damn tasty (basically lots of fat and salt and probably borderline illegal MSG like substances) and increases in attractiveness in direct proportion to units of alcohol consumed. Most often in large UK Cities it is applied to the ubiquitous Poundshop KFC places shown in the article, hence Dirty Chicken.

We need DirtyChickenZero. Like CokeZero.

Science should give us zero calorie tasty food.

Or food that contains fat and sugar uptake inhibitors along with the fat and sugar.

Chemically neutered food.

Progress.

Brian, glad to see that you know better than the world's nutritionists, based on your sample size of one. Or have they all been bought out by the "food industry"? All of them, in the whole world, that is.

From the BBC website

Unhealthy middle-aged people must improve their lifestyles if they want to enjoy a healthy retirement, a new government campaign is warning.

Public Health England's ONE YOU campaign is urging the over 40s to drink less, exercise more, eat better and give up smoking.

It is the first national campaign to specifically target this group.

The campaign will warn those in middle-age that unless they change their ways they could die early or face a retirement blighted with ill-health.

Recent 'figures' show that the average American woman is now obese. The UK is not far behind. No stats on men, but they are usually worse.

One good piece of advice I came across was on a documentary called Cooked. The advice was eat anything you want - apple pies, burgers, ice cream etc - with just one proviso, you have to cook it yourself. In other words, no commercial fast food, no take aways and very few sweet things. Restaurant meals once in a while.

Would that it were possible.

I see growing obesity everywhere and I can't get my head around it, but it continues to get worse. There are now more obese people in the world that those who are undernourished.

Global obesity rates among men went up from 3.2% in 1975 to 10.8%, while among women they rose from 6.4 % in 1975 to 14.9%.

This equates to 266 million obese men and 375 million obese women in the world in 2014, the study said.

In comparison in the UK the study found 6.8 million obese men in 2014, and 7.7 million obese women BBC

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-35933691

One good piece of advice I came across was on a documentary called Cooked. The advice was eat anything you want - apple pies, burgers, ice cream etc - with just one proviso, you have to cook it yourself. In other words, no commercial fast food, no take aways and very few sweet things. Restaurant meals once in a while.

Would that it were possible.

Are you sure the advice wasn't "make it yourself".

Interesting that English speaking countries (ESC) are worse. It seems likely that ESC have the highest % of processed foods, supermarket 'prepared' meals and fast food/take aways.
The 'sugar tax' principle should be extended to all these items unless/until they are forced to provide healthier options.

advertisement

Back