Loyd Grossman Korma Sauce 8.9
Ragu Red Sauce For Lasagne 7.6
Ragu Smooth Bolognese Pasta Sauce 7.2
Patak's Mild Korma Sauce 6.8
Dolmio Bolognese Chunky Mushroom Pasta Sauce 6.6
Dolmio Tomato Red Lasagne Sauce 6.4
Loyd Grossman Tomato Roasted Garlic Pasta Sauce 6.3

BBC

Please read this. Anyone who ignores this evidence has a hidden agenda, and we are talking politics, not health.
Unless these people are being hit by a fat ray from outer space, it's obvious what is going on. Sugar laden, high glycemic index processed foods are to blame. Getting people to cut down is easier said than done though.

http://www.todaysdietitian.com/newarchives/072508p24.shtml

There is a lot of evidence that the increased sugar in our diet, particularly over the last twenty to thirty years is the cause of diabetes, I was a bit sceptical at first but I was talking to someone who understood the complex issues, basically he pointed out we have only had refined sugar for a couple of hundred years and the body is not adapted to deal with it in large quantities. Sugar is about as difficult for the liver to deal with as alcohol and he said as we don't give children alcohol we shouldn't be giving them large quantities of sugar, difficult not to disagree.

To counter that it's worth remembering that dairy products in general elicit an exaggerated insulin response due to the lactose and casein. This leads to hyperinsulinaemia, increased insulin resistance and weight gain all of which contribute to T2.

The higher the fat content the lower the lactose. Full fat creams, butter and cheeses are low in lactose and elicit a much lower insulin response than say bread or pasta.

Are you sure you aren't thinking of the glycemic index rather than the insulin index?

That's the ting with dairy. Relatively low GI but high Insulin response due to the casein. Sure cream or butter has a low insulin response but it also has low protein and high fat so it isn't the subject of the article afaik. :)

Most books only look at the glycemic index related to sugars ( e.g. Lactose).

Not sure which article you are referring to, the one I posted says
"researchers in Sweden found that middle-aged men who consumed high-fat milk, butter and cream were significantly less likely to become obese over a period of 12 years compared with men who never or rarely ate high-fat dairy."
Personally I don't have much milk but eat a lot of full fat cream. Have done for three years and am maintaining a healthy weight. Blood tests show healthy ldl, hdl etc. I think obesity is a good indicator of insulin response of food, but this will vary from individual to individual.

Good link from venton, that's as I found.

I completely stopped using skimmed milk and rarely use semi-skimmed, I certainly don't have these things in the fridge at home anymore. We use full cream milk in tea, drink full cream milk by the glass when we want to and use double cream in coffee. Just enjoying one now as it happens.

I've described my personal blood results before and I know I'm a sample of one. :) The point is, the medical advice would have me still buying low-fat alternatives where they exist and I would not be as healthy.

As far as I am aware insulin drives fat storage. So if eating cream caused a large insulin response, it would rapidly cause obesity. This doesn't seem to be the case in my limited experience.

Not sure which article you are referring to, the one I posted says
"researchers in Sweden found that middle-aged men who consumed high-fat milk, butter and cream were significantly less likely to become obese over a period of 12 years compared with men who never or rarely ate high-fat dairy."
Personally I don't have much milk but eat a lot of full fat cream. Have done for three years and am maintaining a healthy weight. Blood tests show healthy ldl, hdl etc. I think obesity is a good indicator of insulin response of food, but this will vary from individual to individual.

That's the article - headline

The Full-Fat Paradox: Dairy Fat Linked To Lower Diabetes Risk

The reality is, as I pointed out, that the casein in dairy causes an inappropriately high insulin response which increases insulin resistance which is at the heart of T2. Far better imho to replace any form of milk ( which was portrayed in the article as reducing diabetes risk) with Soya. ;)

It's advice nothing more

I don't expect people to listen - very few want to see evidence based arguments. :)

http://www.hindawi.com/journals/jdr/2015/206959//

OK Brian,

There is a recent medical paper to help you to grasp the concept. By all means feel free to show published data that indicates otherwise.

Well the link I posted earlier is a large cohort (3,333 people) 15 year study showing that a diet with full fat dairy reduced diabetes risk by over 40%. It's the article all these recent news reports have been based on. Here it is again:

http://circ.ahajournals.org/content/early/2016/03/22/CIRCULATIONAHA.115.018410.abstract

EDIT: To be clear the study shows that people who consume a lot of dairy fat have a much reduced risk of diabetes. It doesn't say much about other aspects of their diet or lifestyle so one should be careful about drawing too many conclusions.

advertisement

Back