advertisement

The Great Obesity Epidemic

The biggest threat to the well being of the country - Trump, Isis, growing resistance to antibiotics, nah, it's food.

imrs.php

For reference, diabetes kills circa 75,000 Americans every year (and almost 30 million of them suffer from it) so yes, food is a far greater threat to the population than ISIS or Donald Trump :rolleyes:

Almost 15m people in the UK are obese and nobody seems bothered enough to make an issue out of it. The 'average' person in the US is now overweight or obese and "by 2025, the UK is projected to have the highest levels of obese women in Europe (38%)". It's a sad state of affairs and just maybe it's time to re-introduce rationing.

What about an Easyjet type thing outside restaurants, pubs and fast food joints? If you can't fit in it you are to fat to go in. Or very thin doors, like a slot. Mind you thinking about it, if you were marginal and 'supersized' your meal you might not get out for a couple of days.

On further reflection I'm really not sure. There would be hundreds of fat people stuck in Macdonalds for years with their families passing money through the door so they could survive.

What about an Easyjet type thing outside restaurants, pubs and fast food joints? If you can't fit in it you are to fat to go in. Or very thin doors, like a slot. Mind you thinking about it, if you were marginal and 'supersized' your meal you might not get out for a couple of days.

On further reflection I'm really not sure. There would be hundreds of fat people stuck in Macdonalds for years with their families passing money through the door so they could survive.

They would go bust because their customer base would reduce by about 99%.

An anti-bullying charity has called for a gym billboard poster to be removed for being "offensive".

The poster, on Tamworth Road, in Sawley, Derbyshire, shows aliens beaming up a person into their spaceship with the text, "they'll take the fat ones first".

Fit4Less said it wanted to create an "light-hearted and humorous" advert.
'Rip it down'

It reads: "They're coming… and when they arrive they'll take the FAT ones first!". It then has "save yourself!" with an arrow pointing to the gym's website.

One passer-by said the poster was "ridiculous" and he would "rip it down" because "being a big lad myself, it upsets you".

Many other people said it was "in poor taste" and "offensive".

Natalie Harvey, founder of the charity, said the poster has caused her concerns because it would "aid bullying".

Calling fat people fat even in a light-hearted way is bullying it seems. So what's the correct term?

Overweight.
Obese.

There are plenty of relatively neautral terms. Only people who have never been called "fatty" or bullied because of their weight could write some of the posts on this thread.

I'm a middle aged man who was pushing twenty stone about eight years ago. Now down to fourteen and a half stone after a massive effort of will and many attempts at weight loss that didn't work.

Whether the term 'fatty' is bullying or not, the poster needs taken down because it is genuinely stupid. The people who came up with the idea and those who allowed it to go up need to take a long, hard look at themselves.

Overweight.
Obese.

There are plenty of relatively neautral terms. Only people who have never been called "fatty" or bullied because of their weight could write some of the posts on this thread.

I'm a middle aged man who was pushing twenty stone about eight years ago. Now down to fourteen and a half stone after a massive effort of will and many attempts at weight loss that didn't work.
Great stuff. How did you do it?

Great stuff. How did you do it?
Very light lunch on working days for a year or two. Essentially just a coffee and croissant so not exactly a sensible balanced diet, but it worked and got me down to 17 stone.

Then I hit a plateau for a few years - nothing I did worked (or, I couldn't stick to anything I tried). Then I saw a Horizon programme that identified four different types of eaters and identified myself as a "constant craver". For people like me a general reduction of food intake doesn't work as it feels like one long denial/punishment and, eventually, I will crack and eat more again. The solution according to the Horizon programme was a 5-2 diet, where calory intake is drastically reduced for two days a week and allowed to be nearly normal the rest of the time. The advantage is that I know the "deprivation" will only last a couple of days so I can stick to that.

I started last June and have lost two and a half stone since then. The weight loss was around 2 lb per week in the first few months and is now running at around 1 lb per week so it's slowed down but is still happening.

Being diabetic, and having a dad who died last year of diabetes-related complications, has helped me to stay motivated, as has my partner. Being referred to as "fatty" doesn't help and is the language of the playground bully, as far as I'm concerned (not directed at you, Brian).

Nigel

This discussion reminds me of Alexi Sayle describing the shop where he gets three piece suits that fit his fuller figure. Apparently It's called 'Mr Fat Bastard'.
Me I'm about a stone and a half too fat and don't mind saying so because it is a fact. Just as when I die I will not have 'passed away' I will be dead.

Does Evans the Outsize Shop still exist? Perhaps "outsize" would be more acceptable to the resident dietary "expert"?

Very light lunch on working days for a year or two. Essentially just a coffee and croissant so not exactly a sensible balanced diet, but it worked and got me down to 17 stone.

Then I hit a plateau for a few years - nothing I did worked (or, I couldn't stick to anything I tried). Then I saw a Horizon programme that identified four different types of eaters and identified myself as a "constant craver". For people like me a general reduction of food intake doesn't work as it feels like one long denial/punishment and, eventually, I will crack and eat more again. The solution according to the Horizon programme was a 5-2 diet, where calory intake is drastically reduced for two days a week and allowed to be nearly normal the rest of the time. The advantage is that what I know the "deprivation" will only last a couple of days so I can stick to that.

I started last June and have lost two and a half stone since then. The weight loss was around 2 lb per week in the first few months and is now running at around 1 lb per week so it's slowed down but is still happening.

Being diabetic, and having a dad who died last year of diabetes-related complications, has helped me to stay motivated, as has my partner. Being referred to as "fatty" doesn't help and is the language of the playground bully, as far as I'm concerned (not directed at you, Brian).

Nigel
I know someone who has followed the same approach with success. He finds it pretty easy these days.

It's great you found something that works for you. Whatever it takes, there is no one size fits all, despite what some say.

Does Evans the Outsize Shop still exist? Perhaps "outsize" would be more acceptable to the resident dietary "expert"?

Going by the posts, there are no experts on this subject posting here.

There are some who have taken the trouble to read about the subject and have formed an opinion that may or may not be correct.

There are some who don't know anything about the subject at all and who are too lazy to attempt to increase their knowledge and understanding.

Sir, permission to volunteer to be the one who doesn't know anything about the subject at all and is too too lazy to attempt to increase my knowledge and understanding!

advertisement

Back