advertisement

The classical what are you listening to now ? thread.

0etfWkw.png

Debussy’s Etudes played by (new to me) Aleck Karis. I’m no musicologist and he plays just fine to my ears. The Bridge piano sound is very good.

We frequently knock BBC R3 in general and Record Review in particular, so worth mentioning that this morning I enjoyed this enough to order it straight away:
smile.amazon.co.uk/Sinfonietta-Latvian-Modestas-Pitrenas-Marina/dp/B08KNd=21YLZF/ref=sr

(And apart from the Verdi Requiem I haven't been a fan of sacred music, until now.)

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
Abbado, BPO, Pletnev: Beethoven Piano Concerto 2, Symphony 9. A TDK DVD from 2000, the performances are wonderful but so is the SQ. Far better than the sound on Berlin Philharmonic Digital Concert Hall streaming, though I’ve yet to go in during a live broadcast. Pletnev is one of my favourite pianists, his Beethoven in particular.

We frequently knock BBC R3 in general and Record Review in particular, so worth mentioning that this morning I enjoyed this enough to order it straight away:
smile.amazon.co.uk/Sinfonietta-Latvian-Modestas-Pitrenas-Marina/dp/B08KNd=21YLZF/ref=sr

(And apart from the Verdi Requiem I haven't been a fan of sacred music, until now.)
The Verdi Requiem is pretty profane as far as sacred music goes!

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
Abbado, BPO, Pletnev: Beethoven Piano Concerto 2, Symphony 9. A TDK DVD from 2000, the performances are wonderful but so is the SQ. Far better than the sound on Berlin Philharmonic Digital Concert Hall streaming, though I’ve yet to go in during a live broadcast. Pletnev is one of my favourite pianists, his Beethoven in particular.

I've been finding the SQ from the Berlin Phil streaming very good indeed.... just from the app on my Samsung Blu-ray player. Hugely enjoyed Dvorak's 5th conducted by K. Petrenko yesterday, even though I'm beginning to suspect his style of performance is a little bit too crisp and precise for my total enjoyment.

250_rf_omm_0001985794_dnc.0105221647.jpg

Disc one from the Heidsieck box that finally arrived. 106 is one way to launch a recording career. The twenty year old Heidsieck doesn't go in for a fast opening movement, instead playing a conventional/slow 11' and change. He does play with fluidity and a lightness of touch that one doesn't hear too terribly frequently. The Adagio, reasonably taut at 16'36" has almost dreamy, Eusebian playing in the first few minutes, then after some purposefully heavy and kludgy left hand playing, the tone becomes a bit darker but not particularly heavy. The last movement starts with a light, bright Largo and then moves to a very nice fugue. Some comparisons between all four versions he recorded may be in order. I will say that Heidisieck's youthful effort fares rather better than Barenboim's teenage recording.

This is the first official release of this disc, so it got a fresh 2020 remastering. The set as whole appears to recycle earlier reissues from the 90s and aughts, with premiere CD releases and older non-reissued discs getting new remasterings. For the Mozart PCs with Vandernoot, I will do some comps with the Toshiba remasterings.

Mozart Requiem:Karajan, VPO. 1987

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000001GK8/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_smcbGbF1WWVGN
Thought I’d play this on a Sunday morning, being the first version that came to hand. I’m struggling to find any redeeming features. Notorious DG production technique of the day manages to knock the bloom off the Musikverein and turn it into the Barbican. As much as I still love Karajan’s Mozart Salzburg Easter Festival opera productions of the period, I can’t find anything to love in this. It’s so misshapen with extreme speeds, baggy and operatic.

It also really shows how good Peter Schreier’s Dresden Staatskapelle recording is.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0000040W1/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_LncbGbJT9CMWB

Following that, Abaddo’s memorial performance at Salzburg Cathedral to mark the 10th anniversary of Karajan’s death, if you are looking for the spiritual.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00QDGJYES/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_BocbGbKJNBGS5

advertisement

Back