advertisement

The classical what are you listening to now ? thread.

Some marvellous music here ...exquisitively elegant and refined.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B001ND9BOO/?tag=pinkfishmedia-21

616pxZmC8sL.jpg

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
Bartok/Eotvos/Ligeti Violin Concertos, etc. - Kopatchinskaja/Eotvos FRSO and Ensemble Modern (Naive)

Bach Sonatas for Violin and Harpsichord BWV 1014-1019 - Carmignola/Marcon (Sony)

Mendelssohn and Bruch Violin Concertos - Menuhin with the Philharmonia Orchestra under Kurtz/Susskind (EMI). These two concertos make such a nice pairing, and they could hardly be more enjoyable than they are here...

One of my favourite buys from a few years back.Twenty seven discs of very satisfying I Musici renderings of very mellow compositions by Vivaldi.This box set seems to be unavailable now so I’m well pleased with myself.
I’m not a great fan of the more up to date frenetic,rustic and slightly sour sounding versions on original instruments.I prefer the more warm,relaxed and almost stately old fashioned versions on modern instruments.
As one reviewer said,Vivaldi probably wouldn’t recognise this way of playing but he would surely be pleased.
These recordings are blissful.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B019977E0S/?tag=pinkfishmedia-21

61qJU8It1EL._AC_.jpg

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
71LcPFJ337L._AC_SX450_.jpg

Though they have so far made few recordings, the Quatuor Hermès plays at a level with the very best. And now two of the very best recordings of the Ravel and Debussy - probably the best - come from this century, with the Quatuor Ebène delivering the other modern recording. The Hermès need to record everything.

String Quartets: Debussy, Ravel, Dutilleux: Amazon.co.uk: Music

'Symphony No.8 and 9. Vaughan Williams.

Conducted by Bernard Haitink.

Played by; The London Philharmonic Orchestra.

advertisement

Back