advertisement

The classical what are you listening to now ? thread.

Listened to that in the car tonight. Very enjoyable, but I do find the tone of her violin a bit shrill at times.

Now: Guy/Papavrami Beethoven violin sonatas.

Earlier today I listened to Bach cantatas conducted by Suzuki (post lost in ‘the crash’).
Later today I listened to Bach cantatas conducted by Gardiner. The Penguin guide tells me that Suzuki makes a better job of it but I’m likely too lumpen to realize it. The SQ of Gardiner’s Archiv recordings is superior to the BIS disc, though.

Mahler Sym No 5, Bernstein, NYPO
RDsAt9J.jpg

On the train this morning: Villa-Lobos, Bachianas Brasilieras - New World Symphony, Michael Tilson-Thomas. Wonderful - why is this music not in the core repertoire?

On the train this morning: Villa-Lobos, Bachianas Brasilieras - New World Symphony, Michael Tilson-Thomas. Wonderful - why is this music not in the core repertoire?

I love the sound of Villa-Lobos in the morning - especially Bachianas brasileiras No.2: IV Tocata (The Little Train of the Caipira) :)

Last edited by a moderator:
51Lg%2BXlUxoL._SY425_.jpg

Since it has been scientifically shown that it is impossible to 1.) have too many recordings of Mahler 1, and 2.) have too many recordings by Rafael Kubelik, it follows that this should be a fine recording. But it is more than that. Though the now aged sound suffers from limited dynamic range and less than ideal clarity, with the former the bigger problem, the slightly distant perspective offers a full aural glimpse of the orchestra, and what Kubelik does with it is magnificent. The best stuff is in the opening movement, which sounds unusually comfortable and flowing. It is definitely restrained most of the time, and it sounds largely sunny in disposition and evokes an idyllic view of nature at least as well as any version I've heard. The second movement is weighty but not pressed, while the third is folksy and vulgar and somber and tuneful in proper proportion. The final movement suffers a bit from the limited dynamic range, but Kubelik generates ample excitement, and in the slow passages, he gets some more of that just right feel evident in the first movement. This is one of the great Mahler Firsts.

Amazon UK link

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
51Lg%2BXlUxoL._SY425_.jpg

Since it has been scientifically shown that it is impossible to 1.) have too many recordings of Mahler 1, and 2.) have too many recordings by Rafael Kubelik...

Amazon UK link

Totally agree! :)

Only have Symphony 1, 2, 4 and 9 Kubelik versions, not the one you quote but includes this No 1.
u6Sfkkv.jpg

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
As frequently happens, the thread has prompted me to rifle through a neglected section and start to play it. (One of the things I like about having the library on JRiver is that I can play an entire artist/composer/genre until I've had enough, with just one click.)

Having to 'make do' with Bernard Haitink and the Concertgebouw as I don't have any Kubelik (yet.)

Love Mahler, but with so many references, am I the only one who sometimes struggles to identify which symphony is which? :)

Gyorgy Ligeti Concertos for Cello, Piano and for 13 instrumentalists. Etudes for piano books 1 and 2.

Then I could not resist John Coltrane Live in Japan 1966. CDs 3 and 4.

As frequently happens, the thread has prompted me to rifle through a neglected section and start to play it. (One of the things I like about having the library on JRiver is that I can play an entire artist/composer/genre until I've had enough, with just one click.)

Having to 'make do' with Bernard Haitink and the Concertgebouw as I don't have any Kubelik (yet.)

Love Mahler, but with so many references, am I the only one who sometimes struggles to identify which symphony is which? :)

The Haitink's I've heard certainly make do for me ;)

OFqcAym.jpg

The Haitink's I've heard certainly make do for me ;)

Agreed: I have the big box Symphonies set by Haitink and can't fault any of them.

Having said that, I seem to be increasingly drawn to live performances (despite their drawbacks) and the Abbado/BPO Mahler 1 playing now is particularly fine, imo.

advertisement

Back