advertisement

The classical what are you listening to now ? thread.

It's been mostly a Sibelius day here (Finnish Independence Day and all that). Symphonies 1, 4, 2 and 3 from the Vänskä/Lahti SO box, interspersed with some more modern stuff (Saariaho and Lindberg).

Marvellous playing and recording.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B000050PG4/?tag=pinkfishmedia-21

61gJEacw1AL.jpg

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
It's been mostly a Sibelius day here (Finnish Independence Day and all that). Symphonies 1, 4, 2 and 3 from the Vänskä/Lahti SO box, interspersed with some more modern stuff (Saariaho and Lindberg).
Have you ever made it to the Lahti festival to hear them? It’s one of my ambitions.

Have you ever made it to the Lahti festival to hear them? It’s one of my ambitions.
No, I haven't. It's supposed to be a lovely hall, both acoustically and esthetically, and I would be curious to see and hear Maestra Stasevska in action. Could be part of my "ease into retirement" package...

But I did see a big chunk of Vänskä's Sibelius cycle with the LPO at the RFH in 2016, and very good it was, too.

Bach Partitas - Igor Levit

For those of us who prefer Bach’s keyboard works on a modern piano, this is an indispensable recording, IMHO.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
Beethoven's sonata no.15 op.28 Pastoral.... Friedrich Gulda. Sounds like I think it should be.
I have been working through Gulda's Amadeo set of the LvB sonatas one at a time. Might vary onto FFG or Kempff, Gulda is very crisp at times.

61qxp3439iL._SX425_.jpg

Zimmermann spanks both Suk and Matousek in the Martinu works, and tacks on one of the better recordings of Bartok's Solo Violin Sonata that I've heard, up there with Zsigmondy and Tetzlaff. Sonics are a bit contrived in that the soloist is always prominent, though in a most tasteful manner. Other than that, sound is about as good as it gets. For the Martinu, this joins the ranks of Honeck's The Epic of Gilgamesh, the Panochas' string quartets, and Rudolf Firkusny's RCA recording of PCs 2, 3, & 4 as tip top shelf stuff. Yowza+.

advertisement

Back