advertisement

The classical what are you listening to now ? thread.

51ubLr3ELgL._SY425_.jpg

In 2019, Herbert Schuch released Bagatellen, which mixed and matched bagatelles by Beethoven and Ligeti. It was and remains a knockout disc in every way, and shows that it is not such a long way, compositionally, between the two composers.

Melissa Galosi had done something similar a few years earlier with Mozart and Kurtág, blending three sets of the former's variations, split up, and selections from the latter's Játékok. At first, the contrast sounds much more stark, but as the disc moves on, some of the tracks blend together more seamlessly than one might suspect going in. A sense of fun and joy pervades the disc, and the concept works. Galosi does not match Schuch's awesome pianisim, but she does not need to. A splendid disc.

Mahler Symphony 2 - Klemperer/BRSO (EMI) live
Mozart Piano Sonatas - Walter Klien (Vox), still the best, IMO.

Last edited:
51DuPjLthuL._SY425_.jpg

Is it possible for a pianist to lavish too much attention on his or her playing, adding so many affettuoso touches, and taking such care over the most delicate of dynamic shadings, that one marvels at those aspects of the playing rather than the music? Sure, in theory. In practice, Kirschnereit presents this über-prepared, meticulously well played Schumann disc with so many little nuanced touches that one certainly revels in the playing, but one also never loses appreciation for Schumann's musical creations. The Geistervariationen receives a very fine recording here. And of course, the little world premiere recording is a nice touch.

Every other record label should send the engineers they use to observe the techniques Berlin Classics uses in making its recordings.

Hadn't heard this in ages.

Amazon link

71QUW37NfJL._SX425_.jpg

I'm always interested in recordings of Berwald's symphonies, and have not heard this disc - what do you think of it? Blomstedt's recording of the third with the BPO is my current reference version, and I also know Neeme Järvi's cycle with the Gothenburg SO.

It’s been all piano trios with me for the past week or so.The Haydn ones have had a great effect on me.I’ve just ordered the Beethoven ones and was about to do the same for Mozart but Amazon reminded me that I bought them almost five years ago.I eventually found then them and vaguely remembered that after initially listening had tossed them aside.Now they sound wonderful.
Strange the way musical taste changes and matures.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0000041BU/?tag=pinkfishmedia-21

51mNc4Xz-VL.jpg

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
I'm always interested in recordings of Berwald's symphonies, and have not heard this disc - what do you think of it? Blomstedt's recording of the third with the BPO is my current reference version, and I also know Neeme Järvi's cycle with the Gothenburg SO.

Hi Tantris, I have the matching CD with symphonies 1 & 2 but these 2 CDs make up my entire Berwald collection so I haven't compared them to others. I plan to do so online when time permits. They sat on my shelf un-played for ages and I forgot all about them. I can't remember when I purchased them or why I purchased them except maybe when I was in my exploration phase way back when I could afford more. Glad I did.

I found these 2 Naxos recordings quite enjoyable. Glad I pulled them out and gave them a listen. I think it's pretty good music and perhaps even great music in places. No. 3 stands out for me. Sound is very good. I liked these enough to explore Berwald further.

hello Frank - the third symphony does indeed stand out. Perhaps it will become part of standard repertoire as it does seem to be getting performances now. I have a couple of other LPs, one of the piano quintets with the Benthien Quartet, and the other the piano concerto and other piano works with Greta Erikson. I don't remember them as being at the same level as the third symphony, but I may give both of them a spin over the next few days.

Bach’s St. Mark Passion. According to the booklet it’s a bit ‘thrown together’ from real and imagined sections but a nice enough listen for all that.

Britten - Paul Bunyan :-

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0000A1M6C/?tag=pinkfishmedia-21

A great winter favourite of ours and the trigger for buying my first CD player back in 1988. Auden`s libretto is the best in all opera in my opinion.

I hadn't played this in a long while, but listened to some last night (same recording which I've had since it came out). It is indeed a lot of fun, with some very nice music. Certainly a highly unusual libretto, some parts sounding very philosophical in typically Audenesque way, others witty and humorous (e.g. the first lumberjack song).

I guarantee very few would guess it was by Britten (e.g. try playing someone the first "cowboy" song and asking them to guess!)

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.

advertisement

Back