advertisement

The 2021 F1 Season.

Yes he can and may well do that at Sochi where the Mercs are expected to be strong. I'm not sure about pressure getting to him, he has been a model of calm in terms of his driving for much of the season. Lewis has made more mistakes and I hope yesterday was just an isolated incident as keen to see these two fight it out on the track (not in the gravel) for the rest of the season.

Max went from being a Red Bull driver to seeing the Red Mist after his 11 second pit stop. He was all set to win a race at a track that favoured the Mercedes which would’ve really stuck the knife in.

Lewis’ poor get away in the sprint race was the start of a generally weak weekend from him. Sunday was then became a tale of 2 bad pit stops, a 4 second stop for Lewis dropping him into the clutches of Max after the messy Red Bull pit stop a lap earlier. We heard Max on the radio and he was understandably peed off but sending his car in like that was never going to work and he’s earned his penalty for not controlling his emotions.

If he loses this championship, it’ll be his own fault. He has a golden opportunity here, being one of the best drivers out there in the best car on the grid against a 7 times WC who I think is either showings signs of being slightly past his best or still suffering from the effects of having had COVID-19. Maybe a be a bit of both.

Great win for McLaren F1, Daniel and second for Lando, I can understand why Lando would be a little upset at not winning after all his great results so far this year but I am glad Daniel won, it will have given him huge encouragement after his rather difficult start at McLaren this year.

As for the Max and Lewis issue much has been said already, interesting that on Sky just after it happened Damon Hill suggested Max had driven into Lewis, and I use the word with caution, deliberately, however after the race he was more in line with the rest of his Sky colleagues saying it was a racing incident.

As for Max and his attitude little needs to be said, walking away without even seeing if Lewis was ok or needing help getting out, after all Max's car was on top of Lewis and he could have been trapped in the car, shows just what little respect Max has for people, not just his fellow racing drivers. I cannot imagine any of the other current drivers acting in such a way.

Really glad Lewis is looking ok, he acted in a very mature way about the accident and praised the halo for saving his life, the more I see how Lewis goes about his racing, F1 and other outside commitments shows how much he takes his position as a world leading sports person to show the sport and himself in a non aggressive way and in helping others. That is not to say he does not have his own moments, however he does act like a caring person which is what is really needed in extreme situations.

This from the BBC

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/58539315

Really glad Lewis is looking ok, he acted in a very mature way about the accident and praised the halo for saving his life, the more I see how Lewis goes about his racing, F1 and other outside commitments shows how much he takes his position as a world leading sports person to show the sport and himself in a non aggressive way and in helping others.

Agreed. He’s clearly the best driver of his generation and I’ve nothing but respect for the way he’s grown into the role and has, pretty much as a lone voice, managed to push global civil rights right up to such a prominent position in the whole F1 circus (as have black football players, baseball players etc in their sports). This will always generate a huge amount of negativity and push-back from some quarters, yet Hamilton handles it with great dignity and integrity.

I’ve a lot of time for Max too, I’m sure he’ll grow out of the red mist and I’d never bet against him winning a championship or two. I’d argue Christian Horner likely doesn’t help generate a mature team culture here based on what we saw earlier this year. That will all have an impact.

PS I’d like to see the sport go further and start boycotting certain Arab states that have pretty much zero human rights. That’s money I’d personally not want.

Max was clearly at fault here and I think the stewards got it right. More worryingly given this was meant to be the new, mature Max this was more of the hot headed Max we thought had been left behind. He seemed to lose his rag, his defence on Twitter was IMHO foolish and premature. I think it will also wrankle with many that he showed no interest in seeing if Hamilton was ok.

I also thought Horner was a bit half hearted in his interview and it seemed to me he knew his driver was in the wrong and he was to some extent defending him because he had to.

One point that no-one seems to have picked up on is the question of were Mercedes right to bring Hamilton in so early given that both he and Bottas had the advantage of starting on the hard tyre and presumably planned to go longer before making a pit stop; I appreciate that they thought they saw a window to get Hamilton back out on a clear track but he was then out on medium tyres where all his competitors had taken over the advantage of being on the hard to more easily last to the end.

I concur with the various thoughts that it did Max no favours walking away from the scene without first checking on Hamilton, always assuming it was safe to approach two highly charged vehicles that have had a collision without any additional PPE.

One point that no-one seems to have picked up on is the question of were Mercedes right to bring Hamilton in so early given that both he and Bottas had the advantage of starting on the hard tyre and presumably planned to go longer before making a pit stop; I appreciate that they thought they saw a window to get Hamilton back out on a clear track but he was then out on medium tyres where all his competitors had taken over the advantage of being on the hard to more easily last to the end.
Lewis had spent a long time close behind NOR and this had started to damage his tyres.

Whilst he was not showing as much degradation as VER on the medium, his hard tyres were degrading and so that coupled with a window to get in and out in front of Lewis resulted in the pitstop.

Not going to argue against the Stewards who say both drivers contributed to this crash but that Max was more at fault . Seriously showing his lack of class that Max did not even go over to Lewis while his car was still all over the Merc . His excuse is he knew Lewis was alright because he was trying to back out from under the RB is just not real Lewis may have been trying to do that so he could free himself and Max has no idea if he was injured or not . Most genuine people would make some sort of attempt to establish in the event of any crash if the other person was okay or needed help . Max has shown his real lack of concern or empathy for anyone but Max by storming off in a huff ignoring everything around him . His twitters and reasons come over as a spoilt child angry with the world for treating him so badly when it should move out of his way and let him do as he wishes . This has now settled for me any doubts about him and how he acts , I think Damon Hill was right and we have seen a similar attitude and use of an F1 car as a weapon to take out his rival and ensure that he does not score any further points what ever it takes. I think he may well have been asked to change his view and has decided he will . However i think he told the truth and said what he saw and having watched it a couple of time I regret I agree with Damon's first assessment .

Is there a protocol for drivers to follow regarding approaching another driver in his car to see if he is injured?
I would have thought the medical people advising and running trackside safety would have strong views on it!

Is there a protocol for drivers to follow regarding approaching another driver in his car to see if he is injured?
I would have thought the medical people advising and running trackside safety would have strong views on it!
A friend of mine who has been a marshal for any years and led posts at the SIlverstone GP for 10+ years said that they want the drivers out of the way as quickly as possible. Max was much slower at getting out of the way than he would like to see.

Not going to argue against the Stewards who say both drivers contributed to this crash but that Max was more at fault . Seriously showing his lack of class that Max did not even go over to Lewis while his car was still all over the Merc . His excuse is he knew Lewis was alright because he was trying to back out from under the RB is just not real Lewis may have been trying to do that so he could free himself and Max has no idea if he was injured or not . Most genuine people would make some sort of attempt to establish in the event of any crash if the other person was okay or needed help . Max has shown his real lack of concern or empathy for anyone but Max by storming off in a huff ignoring everything around him . His twitters and reasons come over as a spoilt child angry with the world for treating him so badly when it should move out of his way and let him do as he wishes . This has now settled for me any doubts about him and how he acts , I think Damon Hill was right and we have seen a similar attitude and use of an F1 car as a weapon to take out his rival and ensure that he does not score any further points what ever it takes. I think he may well have been asked to change his view and has decided he will . However i think he told the truth and said what he saw and having watched it a couple of time I regret I agree with Damon's first assessment .

Spot on.

Raise a shoe! Brilliant podiums for Riccardo, Norris and Bottas, Norris' disappointment was obvious. Great race though, brilliant track Monza.

I saw an analysis once, they were talking about the Olympics podium but I think the same applies here. The happiest finishers will always be 1st and 3rd. 1st for obvious reasons - "I WON!" 2nd will be frustrated because he's thinking "I coulda won if only...", and 3rd thinks he's just lucky to be there.

A friend of mine who has been a marshal for any years and led posts at the SIlverstone GP for 10+ years said that they want the drivers out of the way as quickly as possible. Max was much slower at getting out of the way than he would like to see.
****ing he’ll, I’m not supporting him but he can’t do right for doing wrong with some on here!

Driver61 says racing incident.

Although, for once I am not completely in agreement as he sort of says it's Lewis fault because Lewis could have run wider and forced Max off the track but by keeping to the apex on Turn 1, he allowed a gap that Max was always going to try and force himself into for Turn 2. I can see his logic, but that sounds a bit like "it's Lewis fault for allowing Max the chance to cause an accident" for me.

I don't agree with Driver61 either. If VER was going to make the move work, he needed to be ahead of HAM at the entry to Turn 1 to control the corner. He wasn't, so it's HAMs corner and the driving line is then over the apex for Turn 2. There was never going to be room at Turn 2 for VER after he didn't control Turn 1. Driver61 criticises HAM for keeping it clean, driving less aggressively than VER and giving VER space on the outside at Turn 1. It's illogical to me, but then even some of the Sky pundit views differed from mine - Di Resta and Brundle. I like Martin Brundle, but I couldn't understand his view on this incident. Was he trying to sit on the fence?

advertisement

Back