advertisement

The 2021 F1 Season.

Neither am I supporting him, I am just adding some operational information from someone who has a vested interest.
He also walked into the track, I'm not sure if it had been red flagged then, and behind L.H.'s car while he was trying to reverse from under the RB.

I never thought the halo was an aesthetic fail. It wasn't an improvement, but I genuinely never felt it as though it was a bad choice on the aesthetic front so I could live with it no problem. But there's no doubt about it, it works and saves lives so from a functionality perspective, it's 100% validated!

Halo is the best F1 invention for a very long time. It has unquestionably saved several lives already.

Yes it is. It can take the weight of a London Bus apparently, some 8 tonnes.

The HANS head brace support is another good safety development, along with wheel tethers etc. The deaths of Roland Ratzenberger and Ayrton Senna really did start a much needed focus on driver and track safety. The safety improvements we have seen since would probably have allowed those two drivers to survive their crashes and continue to race. It took the death of Roland Ratzenberger to re-start the GPDA, but unfortunately, Ayrton would never see it through. F1 is much safer nowadays, but the risks remain.

On a slightly different note, I just watched the Schumacher documentary on Netflix. Quite good portrait of an incredible talent, but one not without flaws.

Have to say I am getting a bit concerned about the hype and attention the whole Max vs Lewis thing is starting to generate. Helmut Marko was stirring the pot further yesterday whereas (IMO) he and other senior members of both Red Bull and Mercedes should be looking to calm the waters so as to speak. If either side fans the flames it's going to translate to more incidents on track and someone could end up getting hurt (as IanW pointed out earlier that could be someone outside of the drivers themselves e.g. a marshall). Reminds me a bit of Senaa vs Prost where the rivalry reached boiling point with people close to both parties fanning the flames so much so a crash was inevitable (Suzuka 89) and that led on to Senna harbouring a season long feeling of unfair treatment so much so that he ended up deliberately taking Prost out a year later... fortunately neither of them were hurt, but it could so easily have been different.

Damon Hill also knows all about racing incidents with championship leaders/

These days he would have got a penalty for rejoining the track in an unsafe manner...in fact Id say he probably would have lost lots of points with his antics...Such a parallel happening..

advertisement

Back