advertisement

The 2021 F1 Season.

And as for refunds as far as I am aware the fans who bought tickets for the 2020 Canadian GP, cancelled at the last minute because of Covid, have still not been refunded.

I was one of those with 2020 Canadian GP tickets. We did get a refund a few months ago when Bell took over as race promoter from Octane racing (a very dodgy outfit). It took over a year to get the refund, though, and F1 were not helpful during that period.

Earliest F1 I can remember watching. Just looked it up...

Prost subsequently losing the title by half a point, of course.

Or Monaco 1982, it was a complete race as the rain started just a couple of laps before the finish. Everybody went off, including the winner, who couldn't understand it. 'What, I won?? But I went off!'

I wonder whether Red Bull would have been quick on the phone to the race director calling for an immediate red flag had Verstappen run off at some point and rejoined outside the points! No actual harm done, just a slip, but I'm sure RB would have proclaimed immediately that it's not safe to race... instead of the 'good to go' message we heard from Perez to urge the race director on.

I wonder whether Red Bull would have been quick on the phone to the race director calling for an immediate red flag had Verstappen run off at some point and rejoined outside the points! No actual harm done, just a slip, but I'm sure RB would have proclaimed immediately that it's not safe to race... instead of the 'good to go' message we heard from Perez to urge the race director on.
I wonder what Mercedes would have said to Race Control if cars 1 and 2 had been struck by lightening......or fallen down a sink hole...

C'mon your hero still leads the championship.

I wonder what Mercedes would have said to Race Control if cars 1 and 2 had been struck by lightening......or fallen down a sink hole...

C'mon your hero still leads the championship.

Forgive me, I was in a mischievous mood and found myself becoming the agent provocateur.

To me it does seem very cynical to start a non race to meet contractural obligations .It is bonkers to award points for this , it was a non race and should be treated as such .In most sports if the weather is too bad and dangerous everyone is sent home for safety reasons

Whilst it was a mess from all viewpoints, I do think that the people at the circuit were doing their best to try and make the race happen (and not a 2 lap mess), within the boundaries that they were given.

This resulted in delay after delay, until the point at which if they were to try something, it had to be then. They needed to give it a couple of laps to see if they could clear enough water and make the track driveable and whether the tyres would maintain enough temperature to not be dangerous. This looked to be a non starter at the time as the weather had been reported to have actually got worse, and indeed that is how it panned out. But at least they tried the experiment.

What should then have happened, is that when the race was cancelled, they should have been very clear on refunds etc, and that there would be an investigation and the whole process improved for the future.

I kind of thought that with what Toto Wolff had said.

He said that he wanted to ensure both drivers' futures were secured, adding: "It's not only our call - there are other parties involved and we have to respect."

"If it would have been an easier decision we would have made it early," Wolff said, "because we know what we have with Valtteri and with George and both deserve to be looked after in the best possible way.

ALB -> RUS -> BOT -> RAI -> Retire.

Kimi is a great driver and a great character, but tbh I think he's been phoning it in for the last season. He says he decided to go over the winter, but I do wonder if in fact he was invited to retire to make space for BOT and the shuffle above?

Kimi is a great driver and a great character, but tbh I think he's been phoning it in for the last season. He says he decided to go over the winter, but I do wonder if in fact he was invited to retire to make space for BOT and the shuffle above?
Kimi and Sauber will have done what they wanted to do.

If it works for BOT then good, but as a Ferrari powered team, and with a very individual driver, they would have no interest in helping Mercedes out.

Kimi and Sauber will have done what they wanted to do.

If it works for BOT then good, but as a Ferrari powered team, and with a very individual driver, they would have no interest in helping Mercedes out.

I think it's more from the POV of helping themselves out. New regs next year. You want an experienced driver who will be around for a couple of years to help shake down/debug the car. You have a choice of 41 year old Kimi in the twilight of his career, or 34 year old Bottas with all the knowledge he would bring from Mercedes. Who would you choose?

My point being if Wolff approached Vasseur (and they are known to be good friends) and said "Bottas is available", Vasseur would have pause for thought.

I think like @IanW said above it is unlikely that Mercedes would want a driver with the knowledge that Valtteri Bottas has to go to a Ferrari engine car, maybe he will return to Williams as in the hands of George Russell seem to be getting better.

Who knows, driver lineups for the next season often have surprises.

I think it's more from the POV of helping themselves out. New regs next year. You want an experienced driver who will be around for a couple of years to help shake down/debug the car. You have a choice of 41 year old Kimi in the twilight of his career, or 34 year old Bottas with all the knowledge he would bring from Mercedes. Who would you choose?

My point being if Wolff approached Vasseur (and they are known to be good friends) and said "Bottas is available", Vasseur would have pause for thought.
My point was that Sauber did what Sauber want to do and were not influenced by Merc or what Wolf wanted.

You have said basically the same thing but focusing on why Sauber could be interested in BOT.

I would choose neither as BOT, whilst very quick in qualifying, is very bad at overtaking, which is a massive disadvantage when you are the 9th placed team. And Kimi needs to retire.

Is it already known or thought that Albon may be coming back to F1?
I’d say that everyone knows that RB favour the car’s design favouring Max and other drivers struggle with it. Albon is a rated driver, and will probably have another drive at some point.

The other rumour is that GIO is out too. Ferrari no longer have a say on the second seat at Alfa. That being the case, what two drivers should Vasseur hire from those who are/are likely to be available?

advertisement

Back