advertisement

The 2021 F1 Season.

There was absolutely no way the race could’ve been run today. As mentioned in the video above, there’s a long list of individuals and organisations that simply can’t hang around for another day. From the medical helicopter to the spectator whose hotel room won’t be available, everything was going elsewhere after a Sunday race.

It’s not that important. It’s one race out of twenty something races.

Glad I got on with other more important things yesterday with the plan being to watch it later in the evening. Nice swing of luck for GR though after Saturday’s brilliant performance. On to the next race.

The problem for me is awarding championship points without a race and not refunding spectators. The race should just have been cancelled and spectators given their money back in full. I’ve lost a lot of respect for F1 in the way this was handled. It was corrupt and duplicitous. The championship ranking is now tainted and the paying fans have been cheated.

All very disappointing.

I hope that they do offer a free race at some point, as Lewis has requested.

Comparing Fuji to Spa is a non starter, one has large run off areas and no dangerous corners, the other is a very dangerous track in heavy rain.

At no point did the drivers think that the race was safe to start during the heavy rain. So just saying that they should have gone ahead and tried to clear the track is a non starter. The rain was falling fast enough to mean that the track would always have put up too much spray and there were areas where there would always be dangerous aquaplaning (i.e. unpredictable due to rain rate, drainage, speed of entry etc).

To run the race on Monday would require a few changes:

1. Monday would need to have been planned in advance as a test / spare race day (need safety team, marshals, film crews, FIA, circuit operators, teams and hopefully fans).
2. The following weekend would not be another race event.
3. What ever FIA rules that need to be changed to allow this, would need to have been changed.

Some other possible options are:

1. Given that Spa is an outlier circuit (weather and dangerous track) it needs more and better planning to make it viable on more occasions.
2. We just accept that one in 40 races (made up number!) at Spa need to be cancelled, and that a race is re organised on a weekend allocated for possible delayed race.
3. Or we accept that the race is just lost from that calendar year.

Agree and I think we just have to accept that this year Spa was exceptionally bad. The only time I can think of it being anything close to as bad as that was 1998 and we all know what happened then. They were very lucky then that no one was hurt.

Just remember the Sunday race is part of a huge 3 day event for each team, so all the work that was involved in making the grid for Sunday's race should be rewarded with something, so why not half points?

Those complaining of the awarding of half points must be newcomers to F1 racing.
It’s happened before.
Spain 1975, Austria 1975, Monaco 1984, Australia 1991 and Malaysia 2009.

And as for refunds as far as I am aware the fans who bought tickets for the 2020 Canadian GP, cancelled at the last minute because of Covid, have still not been refunded.

Just remember the Sunday race is part of a huge 3 day event for each team, so all the work that was involved in making the grid for Sunday's race should be rewarded with something, so why not half points?

Surely they’ve all put the work in so they should all get the same points, thereby nullifying any points awarded.

It’s a mess, but it’ll be forgotten about soon enough.

Nobody was hurt.

Those complaining of the awarding of half points must be newcomers to F1 racing.
It’s happened before.
Spain 1975, Austria 1975, Monaco 1984, Australia 1991 and Malaysia 2009.

And as for refunds as far as I am aware the fans who bought tickets for the 2020 Canadian GP, cancelled at the last minute because of Covid, have still not been refunded.
Half points have occured previously…those 0.5smakes a right mess of the points tables. I suspect these half points are the only ones to be awarded with no racing having taken place, or does my memory fail me?

Technically racing did take place…

It’s not much dafter than the 9 occasions a race finished following a safety car home.

Technically racing did take place…

It’s not much dafter than the 9 occasions a race finished following a safety car home.
Technically yes but in reality no. Half points races are almost bound to finish behind a safety car as the race is being abandoned due to force majeure of some sort.

advertisement

Back