advertisement

The 2021 F1 Season.

With my romantic, dreamy head on, wouldn't it have been jolly spiffing if Mr Versappen had pulled up next to Mr Hamilton on the line, finishing the race as a dead heat. Then although (as I understand it) Mr Versappen would be the World Champion by virtue of having won more races, it would have been a very satisfying conclusion for most. Ah well...

Interesting video, but I don't think there is any doubt that a case can be made for either driver as champion - that's why it's been a great season.

The fly in the ointment is that whichever way we look at it, the FIA contrived a situation against their own rules to produce a race result they (and presumably their sponsors) wanted. Unless we want F1 to go full WWF and become unabashed 'entertainment' with outcomes suited to particular interests, this has to be dealt with in a way that prevents it.

Yes absolutely. The message is that Max Verstappen is a worthy world champion. The world championship was won over 22 races.
Without being partisan, both are worthy champions.

Had the race finished under the Safety Car we would be saying - The message is that Lewis Hamilton is a worthy world champion. The world championship was won over 22 races.

With my romantic, dreamy head on, wouldn't it have been jolly spiffing if Mr Versappen had pulled up next to Mr Hamilton on the line, finishing the race as a dead heat. Then although (as I understand it) Mr Versappen would be the World Champion by virtue of having won more races, it would have been a very satisfying conclusion for most. Ah well...
You forget that his dad is living his life through him, so no way would he have risked that!

Spa was not a race, just 2 laps behind safety car.

Last edited:
I'm reading that Mercedes are unlikely to pursue legal action against FIA. Although my heart says that they should, my head says that it may be a better course of action not to do so. That would put Mercedes firmly on the moral high ground, against a team with questionable leadership, an FIA with race direction that demonstrably leads to manipulated results, and thoroughly compromised standards of governance, and a 2021 WC in name only. They are much more likely to get the support of other teams, and hence be in a better position to demand changes in both rules, and FIA officials. Despite this, I am pretty sure that Masi will remain in post for the time being, as to ditch him now would undermine the FIA's position. They will wait until he screws up again during the next season.

Yes, if it wasn't for the bad weather Verstappen would have scored 12.5 more points. But it was classified anyway so all is good.

You never know.
The point is there was no race, and race director gave race win and points.
Than he handed another win to Max in the last race.
So arguments about who have more wins, needs to involve judgement of those two situations.

I'm reading that Mercedes are unlikely to pursue legal action against FIA.

If so then lets hope they're doing some trading behind the scenes to ensure Masi is gone in disgrace ASAP and that they won't have to be racing the combined RB & FIA team for the championship next year as they've had to do this year.

The rules also need to be clarified such that the race director can't just make it up as he goes along, as that allows for the institutionalised cheating we've seen this year. If nothing else it'd mean the teams would be able to plan their race strategy based on what could happen, not just on what should happen.

If so then lets hope they're doing some trading behind the scenes to ensure Masi is gone in disgrace ASAP and that they won't have to be racing the combined RB & FIA team for the championship next year as they've had to do this year.

The rules also need to be clarified such that the race director can't just make it up as he goes along, as that allows for the institutionalised cheating we've seen this year. If nothing else it'd mean the teams would be able to plan their race strategy based on what could happen, not just on what should happen.

I am sure there will be pressure from teams and drivers. All of them were reserved after the race, but about now they start to realise how much they were used for entertainment purpose.
I said it before, F1 is not racing at the moment, it is racing used for entertainment and promotion. Where they can, they try to engineere action and drama TV. They use stewards or race director awkward decisions. No wonder team bosses were constant on the call, trying to influence those decisions. This is bad for F1.
A bit of sh*t show for any racing fan.

Last edited:
I don't feel Max is a worthy champion at all. I do ponder the mentality of those that do.

His attitude, comments,track antics, walking off the podium etc dosent make him worthy at all. In fact for me, he is exactly of what not to be, and not someone I would ever want my kids to look up to. It takes a lot more to be worthy than winning races imo.

While he was gifted his championship, I feel for him because one day it will sting him and his followers, that it wasn't actually his own doing, it was just a sham, a freebie from the FIA.

Ironically, his skill and abilities would have made him a champion naturally if he wasn't such of a nugget on track later in the season. Then he would have earned it himself, learning from this season of where he went wrong and mature and grow and probably become unstoppable in later years. Then I would be able to refer to him as world champion, but for now he is just a freebie, he won't learn a thing or mature into a better racer/person. Sad times for all really.

and this...just makes RB even more of a laughing stock

https://thesportsrush.com/f1-news-w...-comment-about-his-teams-future-in-formula-1/

He is upset by the lack of regulation adherement ...the very actions that gave them a freebie win. Lolz.

Anyhow, although I do hope Merc continue its legal efforts, I do imagine its probably over over now. Maybe Mercedes will raise a dispute half hour before the deadline and have the FIA rushing around them with a list of offers to get them to withdraw..one being a new Race Director for 2022 and a Ferrari style get out of jail free card.

advertisement

Back